PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend reading to your kids?

redhookmom
02-18-2004, 01:46 AM
I just got done reading "Raising a Reader: A Mother's Tale of Desperation and Delight." It was a quick and lively read about a Mom's love of reading and how reading was such a huge part of raising her kids.

I read to my children everyday. Some days more then others. I read to my 4yo for a half hour before bed and my 1yo in bits and pieces all day. I want to read more. How do all of you work reading into your daily rhythms?

emmiem
02-18-2004, 10:08 AM
I just read my DD a book when ever she brings me one. Sometimes she might have to wait a few moments. She is always looking at her books. She even sleeps with one or two!
Michele

caleymama
02-18-2004, 11:26 AM
We read throughout the day (DD is 17 months). Sometimes it will be just one book but other times it will be 10 books (or the same book 10 times :)) - and this goes on all day. We read at least one before bed, too. She plays with her books all the time and will sit and look at them by herself too.

That book sounds good. I'll have to check it out. If you enjoyed that you might like "Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader," by Anne Fadiman. It was recommended here by another Mom (unfortunately I didn't jot down who) and I loved it. It's a series of essays.

jojo2324
02-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Oy, this is one sore spot for me. I would LOVE to read to Gannon, but he'll have none of it. It is so frustrating, because my parents read to me and I think it's so important. He'll pull books out and "read" them himself, but if I pull him onto my lap and start to read, he'll squirm away from me. Usually I end up reading the book anyway, while he's running around doing whatever it is he does. :)

I don't want to force the issue, and since he DOES get his books out and read them on his own, I don't feel he's missing out entirely. Also, I read a fair amount, so maybe him seeing me in action will encourage the habit as well. Hopefully he'll come around with time.

But how I wish he would snuggle on my lap and read a book with me. :(

Karenn
02-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Colin likes to read each time he wakes up. I don't know exactly how we started that habit, but as soon as he's had a few minute to wake up, he'll reach for books from his bookshelf. He'll often want to read for 20-30 minutes before he's ready to eat breakfast or have a snack! (I, on the other hand, am often STARVING!)

We also read at bedtime, plus he brings books to me all day long. I'm actually amazed at how into books he is. I'm a book lover myself, but there have been times when even I have hit my limit.

mamahill
02-18-2004, 12:52 PM
I just noticed you're expecting, which would explain why you're STARVING;). Congratulations!! Uneventful pregnancy vibes your way~~~

edited to add:
I read to Ainsleigh whenever she wants, but definitely before nap/bedtime, anywhere from 5-15 minutes, depending on how tired she is. Also, she 'reads' to herself a lot during the day. I will often find her sitting in a pile of books. she will 'read' by herself for upwards of 20-30 minutes at a time.

jojo2324
02-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Oooh, congrats Karen!!! That's wonderful! How are you feeling?

brubeck
02-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Amy went through a stage like that where she didn't want to have ME read her a book, she wanted it all done by herself. But she suddenly got more interested when she saw Andrew sitting on my lap while I read him a story. She was practically pushing him off my lap so I could read to her instead. Gotta work that jealousy angle! }(

Also, even since I have had her going to preschool by herself she has gotten much better at listening to books/stories. I am now able to read LONG fairy tales to her (10 FULL pages long with a picture on every other page) and she would never have sat still for that before. I think the experience of being in a room where a teacher is reading to the class has made her more interested. I don't know if you'll be able to do this with Gannon, but maybe you could 'play teacher' and read the book as if you were reading to 10 kids (show the picture all around, etc.). You never know what he might take to!

Lastly, if you let Gannon play on the computer, there are (free) online interactive stories on the Sesame Street web site. They have the words at the bottom of the page and the computer 'reads' them. That might work too or at least 'train' him to sit still while you do the same thing!

redhookmom
02-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Liz,

Thanks for the book recommendation, I just reserved it through ILL and can't wait to take a look.

egoldber
02-18-2004, 02:30 PM
I used to read to Sarah a lot, and then for some reason I slacked off. When I realized it, I made a very conscious effort to step up the reading. I now try to read to her for at least one 30 minute stretch a day in addition to before nap and bedtime. Our 30 minute stretch is usually right after her nap, since she is usually groggy and moody then and likes to snuggle. I just have her bring me one book after another until she getsa tired of it and that's usually about 30 minutes.

I don't know if its coincidence or what, but I noticed that she had a MAJOR language spurt almost immediately after we started doing this.

HTH,

Karenn
02-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the good wishes you two! Honestly, I am feeling pretty yucky- I'd forgotten how awful "all day sickness" can be. I don't even want to think about what I've forgotten about labor! ;)

trumansmom
02-18-2004, 06:08 PM
I really think Gannon and Truman are cut of the same cloth! Truman HATED it when I read to him until just a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea what changed his mind about it, but now if there is a train featured anywhere in the book, he's into it. That being said, 10 minutes a day is about all he'll sit still for.

It's such a relief! I am also a big reader, and I was terrified that Truman wasn't going to learn to love books. Books are the one thing I will almost always cave in and buy if he asks for them.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

toomanystrollers
02-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Every night, we spend about 15 mins. reading to all three. And during the day, I'll read whenever they like. Right now, Tess is spelling out every word she sees and asks me to tell her what the word says. When Shea and Neve nap in the afternoon, I sit with Tess and we play the "Think-it-through" tiles game from Discovery Toys. She loves the games and I believe it helps with early reading and math skills.