PDA

View Full Version : So, how do you pill a toddler?

jojo2324
02-19-2004, 05:06 PM
:) There was a thread a few weeks ago in the BB Lounge about how to pill a cat...What about a squirmy human? Not even pills, those are actually easy. It's the liquid stuff that's hard.

Any tips? I've tried a dropper and a cup. He's sick right now.

mamahill
02-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Ok, this may sound inhumane, but here's how I get Ainsleigh to take the liquid stuff without spitting it back out (she just shivers afterward). Stand in back of her, put one hand under her chin so that she is looking up, slide dropper down one side of her mouth, until it's almost hitting the back of their mouth (so the tip is between their molars), and then gently (but quickly), squeeze. Hold her chin up for a few seconds to assure it has been swallowed, then offer milk/juice/water.

It is a VERY quick procedure and has worked just about every time. If I go at her from the front, pink or purple or blue or whatever color the medicine-dying demons have chosen to use, ends up all over.

Good luck. You may need to enlist someone else to help you. I guess Sorrel isn't quite there yet...

luvbeinmama
02-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Are you using a med that is available in chewables??? Tylenol & Pediacare & Motrin are all available in chewable form. DS started refusing the liquids last year and those chewables were a life-saver!! He loves them! Even antibiotics are available in chewables if you ask for it.

Rachels
02-19-2004, 07:56 PM
I do what Sarah does, but squirt fast and then blow lightly on her forehead. She gets surprised and swallows. She then looks at me like I'm the devil, but it does work.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Thatchermom
02-19-2004, 08:29 PM
In our house, that's what we thought the recline on our highchair was for...DS is way too strong for me to hold when he doesn't want it.

We also use a plunger-type dispenser our ped gives us. Kind of a large version of what they give shots with, minus a needle. Has measurements on the side and gets the meds in quicker and doesn't drip.

jojo2324
02-20-2004, 05:22 PM
LOL, I'll give your suggestion a whirl. DH "pilled" him while I was napping earlier, but it took the two of us to do his asthma meds. But, and sorry if this seems tongue-in-cheek, I don't think it's going to work for us. :) Here's my take on what will happen. (And you thought you sounded inhumane!! Ha ha ha!)

First of all, I won't be able to just stand behind him. I'll have to sit behind him (on a chair) and use my legs/knees as a vice grip to reduce the risk of "body flail." :) Then, while trying to get his head in place with one hand (the other will be holding the dropper - there isn't enough time to use two hands, get him in place, and then pick it up again...at that point, he'll have moved), he'll squeal and squirm. He will jerk his head around. He will make his lower body limp, and even though I'll be holding his legs, he will still manage to kick them (and thus me, in all likelihood). He will probably manage to get his butt ON the floor, but still be suspended in the air too.

Then, once I DO manage to get the meds in, he will sputter them back out at me. Sometimes, he doesn't even have to do that. He'll just let it dribble down his cheek and neck. (This is with his head held back too.) Whoever thought up this stuff should really try to dose kids. First of all, why so sticky? Second of all, why so colorful? AND why do I have to pay extra for dye-free? Shouldn't it be the other way round? I would think that since there's one less ingredient, it would cost less to produce, and less for me to buy.

Has anyone tried the "stiffer" liquid meds? They have a commercial with the spoon turned upside down and the medicine staying put. Also, when you do dose them from behind, do you sneak up on them? Because he starts to fight just seeing the dropper.

But thank you for the tip to blow on his forehead. I should have thought of that, since we've had to do it with (ironically) our cats. And I wish they had this in pill form! Do they? I've only seen Tylenol, Motrin or Advil for kids, never Triaminic or Sudafed Kids.

Oooooh, life with MY toddler! :D I sit here with Sorrel and wonder what she has in store for me...

brigmaman
02-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Don't think I'm crazy Joanne, but we used to have to hold Brig down that's how bad it got. Actually my mom did it the first time and it really wasn't as traumatic as it sounds. I had been mixing the medicine dose in with Brig's baby food which the ped approved as a last resort (mainly because if he got any smell of the meds, he would vomit. :().
I know there are pharmacies up the island that can make your liquid medicine in lots of "yummy" flavors. I don't know if they'll do that anywhere out here.

raynjen
02-20-2004, 09:25 PM
I know you all are going to hate me but... your kids don't like the medicine? Noelle positively begs for us to give her medicine and I have to keep it locked and out of sight or she will cry for it.

I'm sorry, she's horrible in other areas, I promise!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

egoldber
02-20-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm actually the same way. Sarah slurps down any medicine I throw at her. The ONLY exception to that was when the ped prescribed Augmentin a couple months ago for a secondary bacterial infection.

URGH!! That stuff was SOOOOO nasty. But what ultimately worked for us, but Gannon is probably too young for this to work, was to reason with her! It was actually sort of tragic. I would say to her: "Sarah, I am so sorry, but mommy needs to give you your medicine now. I know it tastes bad, but you need to take it, and it will make you feel better." She would kind of shudder, tear up and say "OK" in a really soft, sad voice. It was awful!! But that did work for us. But I am going to demand a different med next time!!!

COElizabeth
02-20-2004, 11:34 PM
James gets Zantac 3 times a day every day, and each time we have to put it in sweet yogurt, pudding, ice cream, or applesauce, and if he's not particularly hungry for that item, I have to come up with a big song and dance routine to distract him enough to open his mouth. It's a real pain. I've tried squirting it towards the back of the mouth and holding his mouth shut, but he just saves it and spits it out. It has a very strong minty taste that babies usually hate. We got it flavored grape once, but it didn't really help mask the mint that much. I know it's possible to have the syrup made from a powder and then flavored with something more palatable, but I haven't gotten around to finding a pharmacy that can do it for me yet, and I keep hoping he'll outgrow the need for the medicine soon anyway.

And I agree about the dyes!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

luvbeinmama
02-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Yeah, DS did that at first. Then, last winter the liquids were OUT!! He absolutely REFUSED!! That's when I discovered chewables! Bless whoever thought of that one!