PDA

View Full Version : When did your DS/DD start using playdough, crayons, sand and paint

lisams
03-03-2004, 06:06 PM
DD is 16 months, and she likes to poke and squeeze playdough, but doesn't really do much else with it. With crayons she just jabs them around on the paper or tries to eat them. I'm wondering when she'll start using them in the typical way (not that I mind what she's doing, except the eating part ;)) - she's having a blast, I'm just curious when they start really using them the "correct" way.

When did your little ones start really getting into playdough, crayons, paint and sand?

Lisa

brubeck
03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
At 14 months Andrew is just starting to scribble with crayons but it only holds his attention for a couple of minutes before he tries to eat them. Good thing they are non-toxic!

I seem to recall that Amy wasn't seriously into crayons until about 18 months or so but I know other kids that weren't until after age 2. The Playdoh thing didn't really take off for her until about age 3, and while she took to paint right away (27 months) I purposely delayed introducing it because I didn't want to mess.

As for sand, yesterday Andrew took a liking to Amy's sand pail and shovel so I took them with us out to the park sandbox. No dice, he wasn't interested in playing with that stuff and didn't even want to sit on it! Amy however has had an obsession with sand since about age 2.

I think these things are just different for every kid. That being said, if you wait 3 to 6 months your daughter's personality might completely change and you might be surprised what she likes. It'll happen, it just might take awhile.

Karenn
03-03-2004, 08:54 PM
At 16 months Colin would do the same thing with crayons. When he was finished with a paper there would be a bunch of little dots all over it. He started actually coloring around 18 months. Incidentally, this is when he became more proficient with a spoon too. I haven't tried playdough or sand lately- I need to give that a try!

jojo2324
03-04-2004, 12:31 AM
I just went on a spree last week and got a whole load of art supplies. Gannon was introduced to crayons and paint and markers. Two of the markers are missing their tips (the same goes for the blue and purple crayons) and the paintbrush's bristles are all mangled. So, seeing that EVERYTHING is still going in this kid's mouth, I'm holding off on the play-doh for a while. :)

He did have a lot of fun playing though...He scribbled and painted a little bit before trying to consume the items. And I've been meaning to get him bath tub paints, so that he can go whole hog and I can easily wash the mess down the drain.

As for sand, we live on the ocean. He HATED it last year. He would totally freak out. I realized that if I wanted a break, I could go to the beach and he would sit on a towel for a good hour before trying to move. :) Sneaky mommy. But he's the same way when he goes outside - very timid. I'm hoping this summer, he'll want to venture off the towel a bit. (Just not too fast and furious, please! :D)

lukkykatt
03-04-2004, 10:29 AM
We started crayons at about one year. DS is now 1.5 and is pretty proficient with them. It is a great way to get dinner made in peace - I set him up at the table with his crayons and he is happy as a clam. Last summer, he loved the sand - he was about 1 then.

Have not started with paint and playdough though - I tend to put that off til 2. Just can't stand the mess - I know, bad mom!

brubeck
03-04-2004, 06:05 PM
I'll join the 'bad Mom' club then! }(

If you want to give your kids a chance to experiment with these things, you could do it outdoors. Tape a garbage bag to your patio table (if you can't just hose it down afterwards) and let them mess all over the grass. They might even start thinking that paint and Playdoh as outdoor only toys. :)

Another way to contain mess is to have them ONLY do stuff like that in the high chair.

newbelly2002
03-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Or the bathtub.

Here are some photos of a recent adventure prompted by some hardcore cabin fever. Markers, water color paints, pudding, are all possibilities...And the best part is clean-up is a breeze. Fill the tub with water, give the babe a sponge, and you're done (plus you probably bought yourself enough time to drink a cup of tea next to the bathtub while Junior is "cleaning"!)

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b34e48bf65f2

Paula
Mama to Dante Rosario, 8/02

AngelaS
03-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Around here, I LOVE Crayola's Kids First markers. All washable markers are NOT created equal. :D The Kids First ones truly do come off EVERYTHING with just a wet rag!

That said, at about 18/19 months Gabrielle really got into markers. Crayons still need to be tasted and playdoh is only good for A. ripping into pieces and throwing on the floor or B.Eating, so for now we play with markers. :D