PDA

View Full Version : I'm having DS assessed for speech delays, and DH thinks I'm nuts.

trumansmom
03-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Lately at daycare Truman has been having some behavioral issues. He's started knocking over the younger toddlers and having uncontrollable screaming fits when he doesn't get to do what he wants. Unfortunately (fortunately?), he doesn't seem to be having these same issues at home, so it's really difficult for me to address it. After discussing it with the daycare director, she pointed out that often, right before these incidents, Truman starts talking and gets really frustrated when no one understands him. I've noticed at home he and DH go at it at times DH doesn't understand what Truman is saying. It appears I'm the only person who understands Truman's language.

So I called and found out the person was actually going to be doing an assessment at his daycare tomorrow and would be able to fit him in.

Truman has a fairly large, understandable single word vocabulary, but isn't using very many self-created phrases. The only phrases he tends to use are ones that he hear's us say often. (Things like, "Turn it on" or "It's really, really hot" are among his favorites.)

Also, his age group is really small at his daycare, so the choices are to either have him in the class of primarily 1-2 year old toddlers or put him in the 3-4 year old class. He's much happier when he's with the older kids, but he's just not there developmentally. Should I insist on this? It just seems like too much pressure for him, though.

Any advice? Am I overreacting? I'm really concerned that after the baby is born things are going to get worse. Especially since his teacher is due to have her baby 4 weeks after me. His little life is going to be topsy turvy.

And note: I've hit the hysterical-worried-about-everything stage of pregnancy. I had a public sobbing fit over NOTHING yesterday, and am currently on bedrest with WAAAAAAYYYY too much time on my hands to think about these things. If the general consensus is that I'm overreacting, I promise I won't take it personally. (Okay. That's a lie. I'll probably cry. But don't take that personally. I'm really hormonal right now. :))

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

Kimberly H
03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Bryce was in a daycare class that was 18mos to 3 years. The 3 year olds happened to be girls and he was one of 2 18 month old boys. He started biting. He just wasn't able to express himself the way he wanted to and he'd bite out of frustration. Knowing that, the little girls would tease him with toys, then run, leaving him to bite the poor other (very placid) 18 month old boy, poor thing!!

No advice, but it did end once his speech became more clear.

egoldber
03-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Jeanne, it can't hurt to have him assessed and it will probably give you some peace of mind. So why not? At the worst, it sounds like he may have some articulation issues (and its all probably just normal stuff), but a speech person may have some hints for how you might be able to help him improve his articulation. Fun stuff that will seem like play and games to him.

But I wouldn't move him into the 3's until his speech improves. They just expect a LOT more of 3's than they do of 2's, and the average 3 year old's speech is generally so much more advanced than a 2 year old's that it may make him even more frustrated.

Good luck!

trumansmom
03-13-2004, 12:20 PM
We had the assessment done, and it looks like he may be borderline for expressive communication. She referred us on to the school system and they'll do another, more in depth, assessment.

Of course, since they finished the first assessment yesterday morning, DS has been using 4 word sentences constantly. Go figure...

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

wearing pjs
03-15-2004, 10:05 AM
my son, who was born about two weeks before yours, has been going to speech therapy for about three months now - its done a world of good. aside from improving his speech (his vocabulary was/is very limited, but that's aggravated by some fine motor skills problems with pronounciation - can't do 's' 'f' 'th' etc.) its really helped his confidence level when it comes to TRYING to be understood. which, in turn, has helped with his tantrums - which seemed to be similar to your son's, out of frustration.

we had to go privately, as the wait list was too long, but it won't be forever. our therapist thinks that by summer he'll be caught up to his peers.

aanyway, moral of my story is there is NO harm in testing/getting help, and only good can come of it. i'm glad i didn't listen to our ped. who told me that he was just a late talker.

expecting second boy in june.....and nothing fits but good ol' pjs.....

muskiesusan
03-15-2004, 02:30 PM
No advice, but I wanted to say we are going through the same thing over here. I am the only one who understands Nick, and it beginning to drive me nuts that I have to constantly translate for DH. However, I am wondering if Nick's speach delay is more related to ear problems. We have had one ear infection after another this winter, and are going back to the dr today b/c I think he has another. They mentioned at our last visit if it he gets another infection, we will need to consider tubes.

Oh, and I am totally with you on the constant worrying about everything, crying, raging hormones stage of pregnancy. Between the hormones, my DH having been gone the past two weeks, planning a VBAC with ever tightening hospital policies, and watching Nick whose been sick for the past few months, I have been a mess. I think I walk around on the verge of tears!!!

Hope all goes well.

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!