PDA

View Full Version : Time May Be Up for Naps in Pre-K Class (wash post article)

kristine_elen
03-15-2004, 11:47 AM
washingtonpost.com

Time May Be Up for Naps in Pre-K Class

By Nancy Trejos
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 15, 2004; Page A01

After lunch and snacks, alphabet and story times, the lights go off. Sixteen tiny bodies sprawl on a sea of red foam mats, the sounds of classical piano coaxing them to sleep.

And there they stay, tucked under Spider-Man and Powerpuff Girls blankets, until teacher Chantay Wynn switches on the lights 45 minutes later. "Come on, get up," Wynn chides 4-year-old Steven Dieu, lifting him from his mat. "Open your eyes."

It's a daily ritual for the pre-kindergarten students at Hoffman-Boston Elementary School in Arlington, as it is at countless schools across the country. But in the increasingly urgent world of public education, is it a luxury that 4-year-olds no longer can afford?

By asking that question, a few leaders of Washington area school systems have begun to challenge one of the pillars of the early school experience: afternoon naps.

"Nap time needs to go away," Prince George's County schools chief André J. Hornsby said during a recent meeting with Maryland legislators. "We need to get rid of all the baby school stuff they used to do."

Hornsby wants to convert his pre-kindergarten classes into a full-day program. If he secures the funding to begin that next fall, there will be no mats or cots allowed, he said. In Anne Arundel County, where full-day pre-kindergarten is in place, Superintendent Eric J. Smith also has opted not to build nap time into the schedule.

Educators including Hornsby and Smith find themselves under growing pressure to make school more rigorous -- even in the earliest grades -- in the belief that children who are behind academically by age 6 or 7 have a difficult time catching up. "The time is very precious," Smith said. "When they come into first grade or kindergarten for the first time, they learn within a few weeks of the school experience that they're not as capable, and that's a burden that is extremely damaging."

Critics of eliminating school naps say the reality is that many 4-year-olds don't get enough sleep at home. There are piano lessons, soccer practices and other scheduled activities during the day, and many kids stay up past their bedtime because their parents come home late from work and want to talk or play.

"Kids are often kind of overscheduled even as toddlers, even as preschoolers," said Kenneth A. Haller, assistant professor of pediatrics at Saint Louis University School of Medicine.

"We are a sleep-deprived society," agreed Stephen H. Sheldon, director of the Sleep Medicine Center at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

Typical 4- and 5-year-olds need 10 to 12 hours of sleep, and if they don't get that at night they will likely fall asleep during the day, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. The amount of sleep a school-age child needs decreases each year, and the need for naps diminishes after age 3, pediatricians say.

Most evenings, Adrian Moreno tries to get his son, David, to fall asleep by 9 p.m. The goal is to wake David at 7 a.m. to get him ready for pre-kindergarten at Hoffman-Boston, where administrators continue to support naps. But David, who recently turned 5, has a 3-year-old sister, and the two often keep each other awake playing games until 10 p.m. or so, Moreno said.

It's no wonder that on a recent rainy day, David was fast asleep soon after Wynn switched off the classroom lights.

"I think they need to sleep a bit," Moreno said. "They're small. They have to rest their minds."

Nia Baker, 4, wakes up around 6:30 every morning to get ready for day care and later spends almost three hours in pre-kindergarten at Seabrook Elementary School in Prince George's, said her mother, Aisha Baker. Then she goes back to day care until 6 p.m., when Baker, a single mother and a cashier at a D.C. restaurant, picks her up.

The rest of Nia's evening usually goes like this: She eats dinner, reviews what she learned in school for about 20 minutes, plays a little, then watches TV for 10 minutes. Bedtime is 7:30 p.m.

"You get tired," Nia said, reflecting on her schedule.

Nia gets a 30-minute nap at day care, which her mother appreciates. "They need a break to take a nap and get rejuvenated," Baker said.

But support of naps is hardly unanimous.

"Do all 4-year-olds need nap time? The answer is certainly no," said Ari Brown, a pediatrician in Texas and author of the book "Baby 411."

Smith, who came to Anne Arundel County in July 2002 from Charlotte, is a firm believer that pre-kindergarten students don't need naps. His teachers and principals urge parents to make sure the children get enough sleep at home. In place of nap time is "quiet learning time," during which students look at books or play with puzzles, said Barbara Griffith, coordinator of the county's early childhood programs.

If they do fall asleep, the teacher doesn't wake them. But the message is clear: "This is not a child-care program. It's an educational program," Griffith said.

In effect, kindergarten is becoming more like first grade, teachers say, which makes preschool more like the kindergarten of yesteryear. "When I was in preschool, I remember learning socialization skills," Wynn said. "By the time they get to kindergarten, they have to hit the ground running."

Wynn followed a recent "quiet time" -- what many schools now call any break in the school day -- with a rhyming drill. By the end of pre-kindergarten, Wynn's students have to master seven skills, from writing their names to memorizing words in a sentence to matching words that rhyme. She tests them each fall and spring to track their progress.

Zahava Johnson teaches two pre-kindergarten classes at Seabrook Elementary, each almost three hours long, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Johnson said her students stop paying attention to her lessons after 15 minutes. So she offers an occasional respite with fun activities, like singing a song about trains.

If she teaches a full-day class next year, she said, she wants the students to take a nap. Or at least take a break from the learning. "This is an introduction to school, and to have them work like a 6-year-old, I don't think that's going to work," she said.

Seabrook Principal Marvel Smith is more supportive of Hornsby's move to eliminate naps. "They can't be babied," she said. "These are young minds. We have to take advantage of this early stage when they grasp everything."

egoldber
03-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Honestly, its stuff like this that makes me seriously consider homeschooling!

MelissaTC
03-16-2004, 04:17 PM
ITA! SCARY SCARY Stuff!

lisams
03-17-2004, 01:15 AM
This is so sad. Don't these people know that these children's brains need down time in order to learn? If anything, resting helps improve their learning capabilities. When I worked in day care, the 3 and 4 year olds had a 45-60 minute rest time. Many of them actually slept, but the ones that didn't would quiety look at books or just lay there and relax.

What's next - no snacktime or recess? I get so sick of our culture's direction of making every moment educational for young children. Every moment is NATURALLY educational in an appropriate environment, we don't need to force it. And what is wrong with taking a break - do we need to stress these little bodies out like many adults are?

Ugh!
Lisa

mamahill
03-17-2004, 01:24 AM
Ok, honestly I thought for the first half that this was a spoof or something. This is so disturbing. I talked with a mother recently who was talking about how she was looking into all this preschool/kindergarten education stuff for her daughter and I just thought, "She's not even 2!" These kids will be sleep-deprived busy adults for long enough. Let's let them sleep while they can!! I like (sarcastically) how she says, "They can't be babied." Uh, they practically ARE babies still. Lay off!

egoldber
03-17-2004, 03:11 PM
The DC schools are in real crisis, so they are trying a LOT of things in the schools that sound pretty scary to me. There was talk a year or so ago of making ALL DAY school mandatory for age THREE and up!

And honestly, parents are asking for a lot of these reforms. A lot of parents (at least enough vocal ones) WANT things like no nap, no recess, no art, no music, only enriching extra curriculars, and 3-4 hours of homework a night. I think its crazy.

And my best IRL friend just went through agony enrolling her DD for preschool next year because she was concerned that the preschool that was closest and nicest might not be RIGOROUS enough. For a 3 year old! I told her to chill out and she eventually laughed at herself, but she was TRULY concerned that she was handicapping her daughter. She is an otherwise logical, intelligent human being, but I'm telling you, people really buy into this whole thing!

mamahill
03-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Aack! Music and art aren't enriching extra curriculars?! And I thought the CA school system was messed up! And all-day school for a 3 year old?! This is driving me crazy! I mean, we're living longer now, so shouldn't we be letting kids be kids, and not pushing them into adulthood? Next they'll drop the work age to 10 or something. Maybe this is just a way to save social security or something...

Seriously, I don't think I would home school, but doing a co-op or specialized (so sad that I'd have to find a "special" school so Ainsleigh can learn about art and music) school is sounding better all the time.

Actually, though, I was really surprised/scared of the parents of the students I was tutoring last year. The kids were first and second graders, and the parents had them in school during the day, tutoring/help for a couple hours after that, and then the obligatory music, sport, language commitments. And always the parents were pushing me to be harder on the kids. I think it was a cultural thing, and maybe the parents just wanted to make sure their kids were the best. But some of the comments these kids would make to each other or to me about how they wished they could just play with their parents or friends just broke my heart. I guess socialization isn't necessary any more - they can just make friends online using the perfected grammar skills they've acquired, right?! Stepping down...

jojo2324
03-17-2004, 06:59 PM
That is so sad! I have such fond memories of getting my turn as "wake up fairy." I got to go around and tap everybody on the shoulder, letting them know it was time to wake up. We all got to take turns, same with who got to be line leader. :)

I think the whole idea of siesta is fantastic! Weren't some companies incorporating nap time into their work days a few years back, and finding employee productivity and morale was up? We all just need to sloooooow down! I'm looking into school for Gannon for next fall, but never once has academics crossed my mind!! Honestly, I'm happy that he can go fingerpaint/splash water/get generally dirty and I won't have to worry about it getting all over my walls or floors!

lisams
03-18-2004, 06:50 PM
It's so true. When I was teaching first grade, several parents wanted more homework, some even wanted work from the next grade up so their child would be "accelerated".

There is so much learning that happens in natural play, it's ashame we discount it as wasted time. I have seen 4 year olds figure out how to divide blocks equally among 3 friends - that's the foundation of fractions!!! And what happens naturally is more meaningful, so it stays with them, nothing a worksheet can offer.

I wish our culture would just let children enjoy their short lived childhood. It goes by too fast!

Lisa