PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a good toddler book?

marinkitty
03-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, DD turned one yesterday and seems about ready to start walking so I'm thinking I need a good, all-purpose toddler development book. Like a "What to Expect" but not "What to Expect" b/c I actually hated that book for the first year (thought it seemed outdated, preachy and the milestone markers made me crazy). Do any of you have a book that you have really liked for the next phase????

Thanks in advance!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

brubeck
03-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Well it's not quite as in-depth as the expecting series but I love the Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers. It gives a lot of practical advice for YOU on how to deal with you toddler's changing moods and whims and gives you a clue what to expect in the next couple of years (eg: biting, attachment to certain pieces of clothing, desire for independence, tantrums, etc.). But it won't tell you when the molars come in or what vaccinations to get.

caleymama
03-19-2004, 09:58 PM
ITA about the "What to Expect" books. I like Penelope Leach's "Your Baby & Child From Birth to Age Five." Also, Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book" goes up to age 2.

MelissaTC
03-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Louise Bates Ames has written a whole series on children. There is Understanding Your One Year Old & Understanding Your Two Year Old. Talk about eye opening! It will really help you figure them out!

Sarah1
03-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Although it's more discipline-geared, I've really enjoyed "Raising a Happy, Unspoiled Child" by Burton White. It's truly helped me understand Audrey's social, intellectual and emotional development.

I recently started "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" by Harvey Karp (he wrote the very popular "happiest baby on the block"). It's OK, but I'm not bowled over...his ideas come across as a little gimmicky to me.

christic
03-25-2004, 03:32 PM
>I recently started "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" by
>Harvey Karp (he wrote the very popular "happiest baby on the
>block"). It's OK, but I'm not bowled over...his ideas come
>across as a little gimmicky to me.

I completely agree! Tried talking like a caveman to Alice when she was upset and my mild-mannered daughter punched me in the nose. Not trying that again. There are certainly some intriguing tips and fresh advice in the book, but so much of it felt really insincere to me. Like gossiping about your toddler to her stuffed animals?!?

I like the Burton White book too, but at 2 I feel we're growing out of it. It was great help in the past year though.

Chris

Sarah1
03-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Glad to hear it wasn't just me. Some of those strategies (like the gossiping thing you mentioned!) just really seem like they could backfire!