PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old who cannot entertain himself...HELP!

g-mama
04-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi all, I am a frequent lurker here but have just begun posting recently. I have a question and am hoping to gain some of your insights and advice. My (almost) 3.5 year old ds cannot...or will not..play by himself. At all! He used to be so good at this, particularly when he was really into his Thomas the Train set. He could play that for hours a day, acting out scenarios, making the trains "talk" and be so creative and imaginative.

I'm worried that I've ruined his imagination and ability to entertain himself by letting him watch too much TV. I had horrible morning sickness with ds #2 and let him watch way more cartoons/movies than I ever had before. Then it became a habit and rather than listen to him whine and beg, I gave in, especially when the 2nd baby was born and I needed my sanity in those sleep-deprived days. He would watch TV all day if I'd let him and I'm seriously making an effort to reduce the amount of time, especially in light of that new study that just came out.

In the meantime, I try to engage him in activities, art projects, I give him ideas to get him started on pretending (like coloring a big box we received a package in yesterday and then pretending it was a cave and putting his plastic animals in there, just an example). But the minute I am not completely involved WITH him, he loses interest and begins asking me what I am going to play with him, and when I tell him sometimes that I have other things to do, he just asks, "Whhhhhyyyy?" in this awful nagging voice. ALL DAY LONG. If I'm not in his face every minute, he walks around looking dejected and sad, just the most pitiful sight you've ever seen. My ds is also a huge talker. He talks alllll day and after EVERY statement, if I don't acknowledge him with an "oh" or "okay" or "yeah?" he will say it over and over and over until I do. I'm losing my mind!

Please tell me I haven't reached a point where this can't be remedied. I'm feeling so guilty. But also so frustrated and suffocated. I can't have a moment's peace. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kristen
Paolo 11-21-00
Benjamin 8-21-03

JulieL
04-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Your son is much older than your other child and maybe he is ready for more social interaction. Have you thought about taking him to a preschool? He could have his week broken up and involve things to look forward to. I am planning to enroll my son at 3 1/2. I found in looking into it that lots of places have scholarships for those who need help financially. If you don't want to do that or can't does your school district have the Parents As Teachers Program? If so they have a wealth of information that could help you out. Another question is do you leave home and interact with other children much? I know you are so busy with two so I am sure it is hard to get out. You could break up the day by going to Story Time at the local library. Even Borders and Barns & Nobles has story times. I look at it this way in regards to my own son. He sees me all day. When he is home all day he goes crazy if that is all we ever did. I would go crazy if that is all I did. Maybe you just need to have some variety. Oh you could see if your school district has a Mom's CLub as well. Many of my friends are involved in this and love it. Well I hope things get better.

And this too shall pass.

brubeck
04-07-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm just guessing but perhaps this is just an attention grab since the new baby is taking up a lot of your time? He may just need reminders that he is still important. It's not easy to get through this but at least understanding where it comes from might help.

But if you really think it is the TV that is causing the problem, think about his favourite shows. Can you buy little action figures that represent the characters on the shows? For example my DD loves Monsters Inc. and I got her a bunch of figures on EBay. It's practically the entire cast and she re-enacts scenes from the movie.

Another thought is to have him do things ALONGSIDE you instead of with you. If you are reading or writing give him a book or paper and crayons and have him sit next to you. If you are folding laundry give him a towel to fold. If you are cooking let him stand next to you and 'help' (stirring something in a bowl?) you. If he gets the hang of this then it might get easier to walk away and keep him involved in whatever it is he is doing.

I also second the preschool suggestion. It sounds like he needs some social interaction (perhaps with his peers).

HTH!