PDA

View Full Version : We need some advice...

raynjen
04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
We have an 11 yr. old nephew of whom we would like to get guardianship. We know that we won't be able to 'force' the issue (e.g. prove that both his parents are unfit, even though they are). So we would like to try for an amicable custody agreement. We have spoken with the military lawyers on base and we wouldn't have any problems getting him into school, getting an I.D. card, getting medical care once we have guardianship.

Has anyone been through a similar situation? Does anyone know anything about the applicable laws, regulations, etc. in Texas?

Thank you very much for any help...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Lucia
04-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Jen,
I have not been in this situation personally, but my background is in clinical social work and I have worked with families who have had guardianship (as result of being foster parents or biological family members). I am sure each state is different so you might want to start by contacting a family lawyer or the Department of Child Welfare (or Family Services...different states use different names) in Texas. Depending on the circumstances(parental consent, issues of abuse, state legal requirements), guardianship may or may not be an easy process. You may need to have a homestudy completed.

Sorry I don't have more specifics, but I wish you all the best and hope that it works out well for your family and your nephew.

By the way, we are also living in Okinawa! How long have you been here? Nice to know there are other BBB members close by!

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003