PDA

View Full Version : Maybe TMI but eek DS no joke gets, uhum freaky w/pillow

JulieL
04-12-2004, 01:33 PM
DS for the last month or more has gotten um to "close" to our living room pillows, or a blanket or whatever. He lays there and no joke humps the pillow. Now I know he is two and it isn't about sex but just about stimulation. I try to divert his attention and move him and tell I don't want him to do it. But I don't want to draw to much attention to it less he gets "encouraged" to do it more. Anyone else deal with this?

mamahill
04-12-2004, 06:26 PM
I am so sorry - but I just about spit water over my screen when I read "gets, uhum freaky w/pillow." LOL! I don't have experience with it, but like anything else I don't want Ainsleigh doing, I try not to call attention to it, but give her something else to do. So it sounds to me like you're doing just fine. But thanks for the laugh!

So glad she has a girl and doesn't have to deal with this stuff,

JulieL
04-12-2004, 07:40 PM
SO glad to have a friend who can laugh at my expense! Yeah I hope not making a big deal out of it works. For what it's worth your responce made me laugh too!

Sarah1
04-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the laugh--"uhum freaky" cracked me up too! :)

I think Sarah gave you great advice just to ignore it. I'm sure the freakiness will pass (LOL!). The things these toddlers put us through....

sweetbasil
04-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Julie,
We're not dealing with that, but the mechanics of peeing are pretty interesting to Kellen. He waits until he's probably waited too long (read: erect) and then comes and tells me his pee-pee is hard and he wants it squishy again. Like I mentioned in the Baby Bargains Lounge in another male self-discovery thread (hee hee), he likes to announce it, and sometimes just drop his pants and show it!, to the world. My biggest fear is that he'll do this somewhere besides our home (or when we have guests)...I'd be mortified for sure.

I'm embarrassed enough when it's just us at home- I didn't grow up in a house with boys, so this is a whole new ballgame for me!

I just ask him to go into the bathroom and go potty, and make sure not to make any comments that encourage his, um, flaunting?!

kathsmom
04-13-2004, 04:50 PM
JulieL and Julie (sweetbasil),

I am just dying laughing over here! Getting freaky with the pillow and his pee-pee is hard and he wants it squishy again. I just cannot stop laughing! I had a girl first, so this in totally uncharted territory for me as well!

JulieL, I think you are doing the right thing by not calling attention to it. Julie (sweetbasil), I hope that Kellen doesn't do anything to embarrass you in public.

mamahill
04-13-2004, 05:15 PM
OMG Julie! That's hilarious! Isn't the innocence of children adorable? Wishing you embarrassing moments only when you're at home. With no guests. ;)

brubeck
04-13-2004, 06:52 PM
All I can say is that I'm now on pins and needles waiting for Andrew to become more expressive about this kind of thing.... :)

american_mama
04-13-2004, 06:58 PM
No advice here, but my sister's son did this too, but with his stuffed animal! just think of the visual. One day, my sister told me that he was crying in his bed, and she asked why, and he said his stuffed doggie wouldn't LET him rub it.

Don't have a boy, so this unfamiliar to me too, but I would talk to your friends who have boys. And to your husband. I am amazed at what i hear from my sister, but my husband confirms it all.

kec2003
04-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Oh, ha ha ha!! I was so happy to read your post!! My DS (19 mos) just picked up this habit a few weeks ago! After his bath I usualy put him up on the bed while he is still naked to put on his diaper and pj's. Well, one night he decided to have his way with the pillows.

First time this happened, I almost laughed out loud -- I had to go into the other room to collect myself. It is definitely all about stimulation -- he has no idea (pretty sure he hasn't seen anything mommy & daddy do that he shouldn't!) what he's doing, it just feels good. The few times this has happened, I usually pretend to be getting out his pajamas for a minute or whatever, not watching him, and he usually gets bored after 30 seconds. It hasn't happened this week, so I think the no comment/no action plan seems to work pretty well. Honestly, I'm not sure you'd even want to bother distracting him (unless it goes on and on!). When he is a teenage boy and spends LOTS of time in the shower, I plan to say nothing then, either. I want him to have the space for self-discovery without shame -- as long as he keeps it out of the public view!

A friend with four boys has 2 great rules for penises (I'm not making this up): Penises stay in your pants unless you are in the bathroom or your bedroom, and you may only touch your OWN penis! This second rule is apparently quite important when you have four roughhousing brothers around. Sounds quite sensible to me!

HTH,

Katharine

mamahill
04-27-2004, 05:50 PM
LOL! I'll have to remember those rules in case I ever have boys :). Soooo glad I don't have to deal with this right now...

sweetbasil
04-28-2004, 07:24 PM
>LOL! I'll have to remember those rules in case I ever have
>boys :). Soooo glad I don't have to deal with this right
>now...

Yeah, but your day will come, Sarah...we'll be hoping for a little brother for Ainsleigh when that time comes, so you, too, can have some share in this adventure of mothering boys! mwahh haa haa haaaaa ;)

And Katharine, thanks for the tips- we'll have to remember those for somewhere in the not-too-distant future!

parkersmama
04-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Katharine,
I only have two boys but those are our rules too: no taking the penis out or playing with it when you're not alone and do not touch anyone else's penis! :)

You can't imagine how funny it is to hear dh shout from the bathroom while giving the boys a bath, "Everyone keep their hands on their own penises please!" LOL!

parkersmama
04-28-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey, there...don't get too smug. We have a friend at church whose daughter does this! At least she did when she was a toddler. She'd snuggle down under the covers and pretty much hump until, ahem, satisfaction, IYKWIM! Yes, a toddler! I don't actually think this is that unusual...it's just not talked about much. :)

Kimberly H
04-29-2004, 09:54 PM
OMG, this brought back SOOOOO many memories!

I grew up in an all-girl household. Once I had boys of my own, I was surprised just how often penises seem to grow a mind of their own and need to participate in whatever event is going on. I, too, could be heard hollering from the bathroom "is that your penis? No? Then leave it alone!"

DH asked why the 15 year old is in the shower so much. I told him that he prefers it to doing his own laundry. It took about 30 seconds, then he about died laughing. ;)

Since Mia "gets jiggy with it" during nearly every diaper change, I can't get smug... yet. I still have hope she'll learn that self-stimulation is not required by most people 5-6 times a day!

Melanie
05-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Ds is definitely penis-obsessed, but no humping yet. I hope not! There used to be a kid on the class who would try to hump other kids and his mom would just laugh and say, "I don't think they want to wrestle." I Was so shocked, that I thought he must have SEEN something inappropriate. Guess not, huh?

Since Ds is still in diapers, we haven't got that grab-it-all-the-time thing going on, yet. He's starting to use the potty for pooping so he will have a brief amount of time in his pants with no diapers (on the way to get one) and he grabs or whips it out. What I've been saying is "unless it's bath time or you are using the potty, your penis needs to stay in your pants." Do you think I'm going to give him years of therapy over this? I'm jsut afraid that once he is in underwear he'll be flashing people.

daisymommy
05-10-2004, 01:28 PM
I hate to tell you this Sarah, but when I taught preschool I only had girls who would do this at naptime, not boys! One little girl would practically hyperventilate whe got so worked up! At our teacher meetings I was told to tell the children this was private behavior that needed to be done in the bathroom, not in front of other people. Amazingly, it was such a inconvenience for them to have to leave their nice comfy nap cot that after 1-2 times of telling them to go into the bathroom if they wanted to do that, they stopped the behavior all together!

JulieL
05-10-2004, 03:22 PM
I just had DS's 2 year check up and talked to the doctor about this. He said it's normal and treat it like picking your nose. Let's not do that at church or in company and so on, that the bedroom is the place to do this. And he told me girls are usually worse! I couldn't believe it!!! He said they get so worked up (not doing anything else, even getting the shakes!) and the parents get way freaked out. But that it's just life. Well I am feeling better knowing it's normal for girls and boys. Just thought I would share. By the way he is getting better about doing it just in his room.

mamahill
05-11-2004, 12:05 AM
oh noooooooo! Seriously? I haven't noticed anything...yet. She is beginning to pick her nose, though, Julie - LOL - maybe it's the beginning?

And not to get totally off track, but I remember being in elementary school and, shall we say, enjoying the days in PE where we were supposed to climb the pole. I didn't understand what was going on until I was MUCH older and then I was almost horrified to realize what I had been doing. Does that make sense? Anyway, I guess I'll just file all of these lessons away. I think telling them it's bathroom or bedroom behavior only is a great approach.

Sheesh, it's these kind of topics that make me wish I was still on the baby boards :).

JulieL
05-11-2004, 02:38 PM
>>
>Sheesh, it's these kind of topics that make me wish I was
>still on the baby boards :).

ME TOO!!! Oh well there's no going back now!

Melanie
05-11-2004, 09:55 PM
>>>
>>Sheesh, it's these kind of topics that make me wish I was
>>still on the baby boards :).
>
>ME TOO!!! Oh well there's no going back now!
>

Me three. =|

kapow
05-20-2004, 11:53 PM
Okay, I ended up on the Toddler boards to read about something else, but I got sucked into this discussion by the fascinating title. OMG what have I got to look forward to!

I'm going to run very quickly back over to the baby boards and pretend I didn't see anything... :)

Melanie
05-21-2004, 12:18 AM
LOL!!

JulieL
05-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Pillow Update: We had been telling him he could only do "that" in his bedroom. Well since then and ignoring it all together he has let it go and for about 2 weeks I haven't even seen him try. Hopefully it won't be an issue again.:o

sntm
06-15-2004, 12:00 PM
>I grew up in an all-girl household. Once I had boys of my
>own, I was surprised just how often penises seem to grow a
>mind of their own and need to participate in whatever event is
>going on. I, too, could be heard hollering from the bathroom
>"is that your penis? No? Then leave it alone!"

I'm crying, I'm laughing so hard. This thread is hilarious.
Also a product of an all-girl household (even the cat and dog were girls) and waiting with trepidation for this to start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

tippy
06-15-2004, 11:53 PM
"Also a product of an all-girl household (even the cat and dog were girls) and waiting with trepidation for this to start."

MEEEE TOOOO. But it already has! Today, when DS woke up and I opened his wet diaper to change him he decided to start hitting himself "down there". I meen really slapping with both hands from over his head. I was terrified that he would hurt himself but my terror soon turned into horror when I noticed that as he was doing this he became erect! Go figure. I hope I don't have a little Sado-Maso on my hands!