PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite "Parenting" book :)

toomanystrollers
04-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Just wanted to share my the latest book our preschool parenting group is reading: "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee" - "using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self Reliant Children" by Wendy Mogel.

I often get bored very quickly while reading parenting books, but so far this book is the opposite. I have a very limited knowledge of the Jewish faith and the author's use of "nine blessings" make total sense when addressing everyday issues such as: melt-downs, meal-time battles, - stuff we all go through. It's not a "preachy" book by any means.

I'm particularly interested in her approach to avoiding "oversheduling and overindulgence" :)

Lucia
04-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for sharing...the book does sound interesting,especially since we are raising our son in a Jewish home. I was raised Catholic so I am always searching for good books, especially those with an emphasis on Jewish family life/parenting.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

Sarah1
04-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Yes, Pam, thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to check that out...I always enjoy reading books that look at issues from a Jewish perspective.

Did you buy the book at a bookstore, or order from Amazon?

sugarsnappea
04-26-2004, 10:03 AM
FYI this book is on overstock for $9.59 paperback and $14.59 Hardcover. Shipping is only $1.40. :)

toomanystrollers
04-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Our preschool has a wonderful "library" - so my copy is borrowed :) I might just have to check out Overstock.com to have my own copy.

StaceyKim
07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Sarah,
Did you get this book? I just saw it on Amazon.com
Just wondering if you like it. I am looking for books on toddlers now.

candybomiller
07-19-2004, 11:07 AM
I had really mixed feelings about this book. A lot of the stuff she says is really good. Now that I'm sitting here typing about it, I'm not sure if I can even put my mixed feelings into words.

Ok, I'll try. I think on some things, the author is very unrealistic about the world we're living in. She's a huge advocate of letting your kid go out into the world with a lot of freedom, without worrying about it. That's just not something I can do, especially now. There are a lot of sick people in the world just waiting to prey on unsuspecting children. It would be wonderful if the world was the way it used to be where it would be safe to let kids roam all the time with all the freedom they want. I just don't think it's realistic.

Then again, it's jmho.

sntm
07-19-2004, 03:31 PM
I hear you on that one. I will take a look at the book, though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Sarah1
07-19-2004, 04:03 PM
No, I never did! I planned to...I just forgot about it...but now that I see this thread pop up again I'm going to head over to Amazon and check it out :)

Edited to add--based on Deb's post (thanks Deb!) I bought the book at overstock.com for $9.59. Cheaper than Amazon. I also bought another Elmo DVD for $9.39--also a great price. This was my first time buying anything from overstock.com.

Based on what Candy wrote, my interest in this book is really piqued. I'll let you know what I think!

friedmana1
07-20-2004, 02:34 PM
I am in the middle of this book, and really thought it had some interesting points. The overscheduling and overinduldging is something we see a lot around here, and DH and I often talk about how NOT to raise our kids like that. It was nice to see that sentiment in writing.

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02