PDA

View Full Version : Giving up naps - 2 1/2

raynjen
04-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Hey all, I thought this might be a stage, so I hadn't asked about it yet, but Noelle definitely seems to be giving up her naps now.

For the past 7-10 days she naps only sporadically. I think she has had 2 or 3 good naps in that time frame. She used to get up between 6:00-6:30 nap from 1:00-3:00 or 4:00 and go down to bed at 8:00. Recently she has been staying up in her room at nap time AND at bedtime. This is definitely a case of 'you can lead a horse to water....' We follow our little routine and put her down - five minutes later we have to go in because she has toys all over. We put her down, and again. One day this went on for FOUR hours, AACK!

She has been potty training and has definitely been 'using' this at naptime, getting up as many as 10 times in two hours (I know, I counted yesterday) to 'go potty'. At the potty she sits down then immediately pops back up declaring, "all done!". I really think this is manipulation on her part because our first week and a half of potty training she would nap in her panties and wake up dry.

Soooo, what do you think? She doesn't seem to be sleepy at all during the middle of the day, but she will fall asleep in the car. I'm torn - I don't know if this is a 'testing of the wills' thing or if she is just outgrowing naps... I know she still needs a lot of sleep, can she get it all at night?

All you moms with older kids...(I know better than to call you older moms :))

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

opus
04-26-2004, 07:15 AM
Recently I have read some info on napping and not sleeping as related to my DD. I was surprised to find that their little bodies produce a hormone that will keep them up if they don't get their rest.

In essence, if they need sleep and don't get it, their bodies respond by producing a hormone that keeps them up. This hormone does not readily leave the system so, it can be a vicious cycle. No nap one day, can lead to her not sleeping well that night or the following day, which produces more hormone, etc.

They explained it was similar to the physical response we have should we decide not to eat. Instead of our bodies living off our fat, our bodies go into starvation mode and conserves to protect itself.

For us, I found my 2 1/2 year old needs a nap. Again, what worked out for us was me making sure she took a regular nap the same time (approximately) each day. Initially, she didn't fall asleep right away. I purposed not to get frustrated that I'd stopped everything in the middle of the day and then she still wasn't sleeping. I thought of it as though I was giving her vital nourishment. (It sound odd, but it helped me.) Each day, same routine: "It's nap time," she picked out a book we shared, etc. With each day, she went to sleep earlier and earlier in the process.

Although, like your child, she was not a bear without a nap, I will say she is better all around having that nap in her routine.

For me, I put the diaper on for nap time to avoid the going to the bathroom runs. It avoided manipulation for us and if she should go during her sleep, it avoided a clean up post-nap for me.

That's just what I do. I hope you find a solution that works for you-all.

pamela mom of 3
04-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Well i don't know about any readings about it but my son basically stopped napping by one, yes he will sleep in the car sometimes but at home unless he's sick it's a no-go and my girls really were no better, my eldest was the one who probably did naps the longest but oddly enough now at 8yrs is a terrible sleeper :o

Not saying one had anything to do with the other, my 2nd dd stopped napping early on also yet she on the whole is a good sleeper, ds has always been terrible and still night wakes at 3yrs.

So no advice, other than follow your routine and go with the flow, you can't make 'em sleep no matter how much you want to IME anyhow :)

Hmmm maybe a long walk? sometimes that helped with my tikes, good luck!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

brubeck
04-26-2004, 11:10 AM
My DD gave up naps at about this age too. Our nap routine was much less structured: I would put her in her room/play area and she would play until she was tired and then she would just sleep. At about 34 months she would spend one or 2 days a week with no nap and play the whole time. Then it grew to only 2 days a week napping, and then the nap was gone. Every day she did not nap I would put her to bed 2 hours earlier (at night) and she would wake up at the same time. She has napped maybe twice since she turned 3 last November (other than a few 10 minute deals in the carseat). However because she is going to bed early she still gets the same amount of sleep.

As for pottying, I would leave a portable potty in her room. If she had to go she could use it. Then I started leaving the door to her bathroom open. So she didn't bother me if she wanted to use the potty 20 times. :)

When we were seriously training, I had her nap in the playroom instead of in her real bed. I put a puffy comforter on the floor (easily washable) and a pillow). I folded the comforter in half to make it like a small bed. She loved it and then if she peed during her nap I could wash it.

HTH!

toomanystrollers
04-26-2004, 09:07 PM
First thing: clear out the toys LOL :) Lets see, Tess quit napping around 3 1/2 - but I would still send her upstairs for "quiet time" in her room with plenty of books til about age 4 1/2. Shea (knock on wood) is still a great napper - after he finished peeling all the wallpaper border off in the bedroom, sigh.........

Other tips, hit the playground and pack a lunch from 10 - 12:30 - usually puts them right to sleep.