PDA

View Full Version : Does your toddler have a passion?

redhookmom
04-27-2004, 12:30 AM
My 1yo LOVES music. She goes over to the stereo and signs music. I love to watch her dance.

My 4yo know so much about dinosaurs. He just soaks up any and all information about them. I love when he corrects the way I pronounce thier names.

What are your little ones passionate about?

AngelaS
04-27-2004, 08:18 AM
My oldest is 6 and is a horse NUT. All things horses is kind of her motto.

The youngest loves Bob from Veggie Tales. We read BOB books, watch BOB videos and she takes a stuffed BOB to bed. If she sees you pick up the remote, she dives into her favorite chair and starts saying, "Bob, Bob, bob?" LOL

sugarsnappea
04-27-2004, 09:02 AM
My 3 yo passion is rocks. She stops to pick them up everywhere. Here pockets are filled with tons of rocks. Last night she managed to sneak 5 of them into the house. She inventories them in the garage and freaks if any are missing. I hope this is a short-lived passion! :)

momathome
04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
My 3 year-old loves firetrucks and dinosaurs - she is not a girlie-girl! My 6 year-old has been completely dog-obsessed from the time she could speak - her bedroom is dog-themed, I think she literally has all 101 Dalmations, plus that is her favorite movie, she has more dog-printed shirts than any one kid, and she says she wants to be a vet when she grows up or work in a pet store - it's never ending! She made me throw her a Bow Wow Ball for her dogs and her friends that included a cake with sprinkles shaped like bones - it was a riot!
-Lauren

Momof3Labs
04-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Thomas the Tank Engine. Specifically, his buddy Henry. Colin loves anything Thomas (or generally train related). DVDs, books, toys, whatever. This kid could live on Thomas alone. And it's been that way for a good 4-5 months, so this isn't just a short little phase for us (like the Wiggles were)! Fortunately, railroading passion runs deep in our family!

lukkykatt
04-27-2004, 02:15 PM
My younger son likes anything with wheels - cars, trucks, trains... That and hitting me and yelling "NO!" are his passions right now :)

My older son (age 4) loves music, geography and clocks. I have been learning geography myself, trying to keep up with him!

mamahill
04-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Drawing. Any and everywhere. God bless the MagnaDoodle inventor (see shutterfly link).

And babies - real and dolls. She wants to hold and kiss and rock and sing to any of them.

Karenn
04-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Sarah-
That magnadoodle drawing is amazing! I'm so impressed that she can draw so well!! (And that dress at the end is really cute too!)

Colin's passions are balls, stairs (going up and down them) & books. We've recently realized that the transition to the church nursery goes far more smoothly if the caregivers pull out a couple of balls before we leave. It's all he needs to keep him happy. :)

brubeck
04-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Amy has multiple passions. Hats, coats, boots, gloves, anything to do with firefighters or what they wear. She also loves movies (she's never satisfied on this, thanks to my limitations on movie viewing) and swimming! And when we're outside I can always count on her to pick up flowers, rocks and sticks and want to keep them.

I know there are more. In fact I think it's the mark of a toddler to be passionate about EVERYTHING they do!

kec2003
04-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Toddlers may be passionate about lots of things, but my DS is OBSESSED with all things with wheels, similar to poster from above. At eleven months, his very first baby sign was the hand motion for "wheels on the bus go round and round" made whenever he saw the bus in "Hippos Go Beserk." It then got extrapolated to big city buses, trucks, etc.

At 19 monnths our two favorite books are "My very first truck book" and "Richard Scary's Big Book of Things That Go". He can already identify and say roller, dump truck, street sweeper, digger, tractor, car carrier, fire truck, etc. We have, as one might imagine, an impressive collection of small wheeled toys, from age-appropriate Fisher-Price stuff to totally chock full of choking parts Hot Wheels cars, but he is in loooove (and fortunately, not so oral these days).

He's either going to be an auto mechanic, a speed racer, or an executive at Goodyear...

Katharine
Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

abigailsmom
04-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Lion King! She will absolutely freak if she doesn't geet to watch it. She also will pitch a fit if she is watching tv ans hears or sees a commercial! She is the only 20 month old that will sit VERY still for the whole movie! It's nuts!

She is also a fool for dogs... or bow wows as she says!!

hjdong
04-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Jamie loves, for lack of a better word, packing. He moves his toys from one container to another. The discovery of the clothes hamper was a glorious thing. He now puts his dirty clothes in the hamper, his clean clothes in the hamper, his toys in the hamper, and on, and on, and on . ..

raynjen
04-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Ack! I have a rock-a-holic too. I kept thinking, "this too shall pass", but it hasn't! My dad lives at the end of a 1/2 mile gravel road so when we visit Ogee she is in hog heaven, but we can never go for walks because she can't move two steps without picking up a rock. Even when she works with playdough she's always saying, "look, its a rock" over and over and....

When we were last in the states I took her to a rock/crystal store thinking that I could at least expand her horizons past gravel, but no, she headed straight to the basket of cheap rocks and started picking out the white ones. Now I am wondering when we next move if she is going to ask for a rock themed room!
Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

sugarsnappea
04-28-2004, 09:02 AM
LOL! Last night I had to go thru the laundry while it was wet in the washer, to pick out all the darn rocks!

I have made a "no rocks in the house" rule, but she is just
too sneaky. She hides them in her shoes and socks. Yesterday she told me there was one in the vacuum attachment. Yikes!!

newbelly2002
04-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Pearls. In all shapes and sizes, attached in a rope, or scattered on the floor (30 minutes last night he spent collecting them from the pavement where the neighbor's 10 yr old had left them). Around his neck, his waist, and especially out and about where they match the red Mary Jane patent leather shoes he picks out every time at the shoestore. At least I don't have to worry about gender stereotyping.

That and the Nena kids' albums she released. The songs come on and he breaks into a I'm-so-crazy-in-love grin.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

MelissaTC
04-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Two things - Books and Choo Choos!

He loves his books to the point that he actually sleeps with 5 of them. It is crazy. I don't know how there is room for him in his bed with all of the stuff he puts in there with him.

DS also loves trains. It is driving me batty. He sits with the Thomas catalog and looks through all the pages, pointing out the different sets and I am assuming selecting what he wants. LOL. He takes at least one train car with us wherever we go. He can spot anything Thomas related a mile away. Or train related for that matter. And he always yells out "Choo choo!"...

Then of course there is Elmo, but Elmo is beyond passion...Matthew is a stalker...LOL...

pamela mom of 3
04-28-2004, 02:15 PM
My 3yo is mostly into his trucks & trains plus water, that kid will be soaked within a few seconds of being outside if their is any water laying about, plus we have a shallow pond like area and he is always wading in it! x(

He also has a rock thing :D picks them up all the time, plus loves to throw them into the water laying about -however- that is deadly for the tractors so i'm always doing a rock pickup.

My 5yo you know now that you ask that question i can't pin it down to one thing, she is very much all over the place, she is quite active so loves to run, jump, climb so the outdoor play stuff she is quite fond of, she also likes to color and even go through books. Plus she'll get right in with ds on the water & mud and truck/train play.

Momof3Labs
04-28-2004, 02:44 PM
LOL, Colin and Matthew would have a blast together! Colin loves the Thomas catalog, too. He isn't talking much but knows the names of almost all the trains - he'll either point and we have to name the train (lord help us if we get one wrong) or we can say the names and he'll pick them out. Talk about cheap entertainment!!

smomom
04-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Doggies!!!! or, as he says it dog-GIES!

Sage is obsessed with our black lab and any other doggy that he sees! He loves balls and cars too - but nothing beats dog-GIES!

JulieL
04-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Anthony loves all things that go: cars, trains and especially bikes.

Also he LOVES water. He askes for baths constantly and when he is being good I let him play with the water in the kitchen sink. Never seen a kid so happy before!

August Mom
04-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Justin loves all types of balls and has recently become passionate about trucks. When he points these days, chances are there's a truck, ball or ball-related item (think basketball hoop or baseball bat or glove) nearby.

brigmaman
05-05-2004, 05:48 PM
I haven't been on the Toddler board in a while, but I've been thinking about Brig's passions.
Mainly he is obsessed with guitars. He's got 2 and one at his Grandma's house. Any time he sees one on TV, he grabs his and plops down to start "playing." Sometimes he tells me to play and makes sure I'm moving my upper hand! (I guess so it looks authentic.) He's also got a keyboard, which gets almost as much use.
Kind of a different, non-toddler thing to be passionate about, right?!

pamela mom of 3
05-05-2004, 10:23 PM
nah, my 5yo really likes her fisher price guitar, she bugged us for one for what felt like forever LOL anyhow she's always goofing around with the pianos we have too, my 8yo has been making guitars outta boxes and elastic bands for quite awhile too ;)

hey you never know maybe one till he'll be somebody famous in the music biz LOL :D

I mean my son has real passion for music too but loud! we'll be in the car and he'll cry if it's not loud, he wants the radio on and turned up! Kinda funny to hear a 3yo scream "no loud" 'cause i'm turning the radio down geez....and nope it is not kids music }(

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

atlbaby
05-05-2004, 10:53 PM
I haven't posted on these boards in a while, but it's good to be back!

Lately, Arielle's passion has been dolls. Or naked dolls, I should say. She has a bunch of dolls and must strip them before she'll play with them. Then they go in the high chair, exersaucer, bouncer, snap n go stroller, etc. Obviously, she is living vicariously though her dolls, as she knows she can't go in her sister's things herself! :) I get pretty bothered by the naked dolls (I don't know why, I just want them to be dressed already just as I want her LP back in the house/farm!) so I try to re-dress them at night. But every morning it's back to naked dolls all over again...

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

brigmaman
05-06-2004, 05:12 PM
That's adorable! I was a nanny for a 4 year old girl a few years ago. Whenever we'd ride in the car I would allow her to listen to a song she wanted and then I'd get to listen to one I wanted. I guess out of all this experience she became a Madonna fan. (I do own the Immaculate Collection CD) It's so funny to see a little girl dancing to the same songs I liked as a little girl!