PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in the heat?

hjdong
04-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Now that it is really hot here (+100) I'm beginning to wonder what one does with a toddler in the heat (or the cold for that matter). Yesterday, I skipped the park, because of the heat. Today, I went at 8:30, before the heat, and Jamie is still really hyped up tonight. in fact, DH was supposed to be watching him (of course, it could have just as easily been me, but thankful it wasn't) and he tore through the house, tripped and landed right on a wooden bowl he plays with. He now has a huge lump in the middle of his forehead.

What do you do to get all that energy out when outside is miserable?

raynjen
04-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Our pool on base has the kiddie are covered by a huge canopy...

We also like (in no particular order) fast food restaurants that have INDOOR play areas, a pay for play place here that is like an enormous fast food play area, our Mommy and Me gymnastics class, park in the early morning or at dusk (though we have to coat with chemicals to keep the mosquitos at bay), and malls where they have large open spaces to run and twirl (go before or after lunch hour during the week and it will be less crowded.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

brubeck
04-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Two words: SPRINKLER PARK!

We have a toddler/baby sprinkler park that is free. We go to it when the weather is super hot. There is also a really nice wading pool that costs $1 per child in another nearby park.

But if I am lazy I just fill up the inflatable wading pool in our backyard or take out the Elmo Sprinkler. Don't forget, Mommies can get wet in these things too! Your toddler will be happy to help wtih that!

tippy
06-05-2004, 12:17 AM
My local Barnes and Nobel has a train table set up in the childrens dept and story time on Tues am (it is free AND they have a starbucks). You could check the local library for any programs they may have. Good Luck

jacksmom0902
06-07-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm a member of our local MOMS Club and it's great. If there's one in your area, you may want to look them up. We do lots of pre-naptime activities with our group during the week.

On our own we go to the local library that has a kids activity area, parks in the morning, the zoo near us has a water area that Jackson loves, bookstores usually have a train table that Jackson also loves, our mall has a great indoor play area, "swimming" at our new ymca, a skating rink in our town has Toddler Toy Tuesday where it's only toddlers and they can either skate (haven't tried this yet) or bring ride-on toys and ride them around the rink. The skating rink also has an indoor play area that we enjoy.

Best of luck!

Karla
Mom to Jackson 9.16.02

blnony
06-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Audrey has a lot of fun with just the water hose! :D
She has a Disney Castle Sprinkler pool and she really enjoys it too. I just strip her down and let her run around with her swim diaper on and just use the water hose to chase her...she loves the game. Also, we have good shade in the backyard which helps, so she isn't in direct sunlight much. But we do play with water a lot and her sand/water table has a big umbrella, so she plays under that some. We usually play out there either earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon so its not as hot. We take little trips to the mall or do more playdates inside to wear her out. It does get hard when its so hot though. I also moved out a bunch of big plastic storage boxes from the closet and made her a mini climbing thing so she just climbs around on it a lot too. I've had to get creative with this...