PDA

View Full Version : Tired of snacking in the car.

redhookmom
05-01-2004, 11:31 PM
As soon as we pull out of the driveway my DS will ask for something to drink and a snack, DD wants everything he has. Therefore my car is a disaster: goldifsh crushed on the floor, apple cores wedged in between the seats, sticky window and car seats...

I have them conditioned to snack in the car and now I am sorry. Long trips are OK but the market is only 5 minutes away...

Anybody out there not allow snacking in the car. It is possibe, right?

Kimberly H
05-02-2004, 08:32 AM
It's possible! I didn't allowed snacking in the car when the boys were little and Mia's not allowed to snack either. Water is fine, food is not.

I'm not saying the rule wasn't broken a time or two - especially on multi-hour trips - but it was the exception and they knew it was a special treat.

No tips on how to change the status quo but GOOD LUCK!

brubeck
05-02-2004, 11:40 AM
Whenever DD asks for something in the car I always say, "I can't get it while I'm driving, you'll have to wait until we stop!". Of course if we stop at a light or something she wants it but then I fumble around and pretend not to have gotten it by the time the light turns green. Once we get to our destination she gets it back. In her case it is usually a dropped toy, but now she is careful not to drop her toys in the car if she really wants them.

If the market is 5 minutes away then you can do this for 5 minutes and then give them a snack when you get there.

August Mom
05-02-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a no snacking rule (except for exceptional circumstances) and it works really well. Really, DS never asks for a snack in the car. He is allowed to have water, but that's it unless I'm in a big hurry or we're on a long trip. I don't know how you'd go about changing the rules now, though. DS is probably just used to me being anti-snacking when we're out and about. I don't allow snacking in the stroller either.

toomanystrollers
05-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Shea knows there are plenty of snacks to be found at Target and makes a point of yelling for them everytime. Sigh......so I let him load up in the car LOL - the "crumbmobile"

Melanie
05-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Have you tried books or toys instead? Maybe, "Sorry, I don't have a snack for you right now, but would you like your...."

Ds got into a snack habit in the stroller, too, but now I just try to mix it up a bit with certain toys and keep the snacks for when they're needed.

toomanystrollers
05-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Actually he's getting a little better w/shopping. I've been letting him walk around instead of sitting in the cart and I make him a "list" to carry. If it's not on the list, we can't get it LOL So far, my "list" has been helping.

JElaineB
05-08-2004, 04:16 PM
I never have allowed DS to eat anything in the car. He is still rearfacing and I don't want to allow him to eat when I can't see him. I have sometimes let him drink but only on a few occassions. We regularly (2-3 times a week at least) take 1/2 hour trips in the car to grandma's or shopping, so he is used to longer trips. I do give him a special toy to hold onto while in the car, and between that and taking off his shoes it usually keeps him occupied.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

redhookmom
05-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I think having special car only toys may work. I AM going to do this. Wish us luck.