PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for Mom's Day?

raynjen
05-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Hey it's 3:30 in the afternoon here, so I've had a chance to put Noelle down for her nap, enjoy my gifts, and now come online to see what you guys got :).

DH, whoops, I mean Noelle got me a pretty bag filled with nice things: three books, a DVD (Sleepless in Seattle), a large scented candle, and an assortment of Godivia (coffee, biscotti, biscuits, truffles, AND bars). I feel sooo pampered!

Hope you guys did as well!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

AngelaS
05-09-2004, 08:35 AM
I got a new vcr for the living room. We burned ours out when I had morning sickness---the girls watched a LOT of movies! :D

I also got a big bag of strawberry Twizzlers--they're a bit of a tradition and one of my favorite candies. :D

redhookmom
05-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Door knobs. (It is what I asked for.) We have not been able to lock our doors for 7 years because our doors take skelaton keys, and well it just doesn't work. My DH replaced the knobs with ones we can lock.
http://mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/shake.gif
I know, I know it is crazy that we have never locked our doors.

I also go a little art project that my DS made at preschool and some flowers. My DH also took the kids to his Mother's so I could have some alone time.

egoldber
05-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Well, I went to a spa last week and spent a beaucoup amount of money there, so that was sort of my gift to me. :) DH helped Sarah make a card for me this morning. I got to sleep in too. :) And Sarah made a very cute little card for me at preschool this week.

So nothing big, but honestly, DH and I don't get into these things so much. We usually don't even get each other anything for our birthdays or the holidays. Or we buy something for ourselves and consider that to be the "gift".

KathyO
05-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Oh, envy!! DH is a sweet, intelligent, generous man, but absent-minded doesn't even begin to cover it. So halfway through the morning, he says, "Oh, ummmm... happy Mothers' Day???"

Siiggghhh... I think that I shall go order myself a nice book off Amazon, and call that my Mother's Day present. DD made a decorated flower pot at the drop-in for Mothers' Day, but since she mostly dismantled it in the car on the way home, well... the pile of fragments left over isn't QUITE as charming as the original. Oh, well. Next year, right?

Living in hope,

KathyO

luvbeinmama
05-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Hee, hee... DH is NOT romantic, but that's okay. He got me THE poster from LOTR Return of the King! LOL!! You know... the one with Aragorn and the sword. I love that poster!

Of course, my birthday is coming up in another week, so that'll be the big celebration, anyway.

lcl
05-10-2004, 12:35 AM
a facial on sat. a surprise afternoon tea at a fancy hotel with my friends. we were picked up in a limo from our houses.

ds planted grass in a cup decorated with his picture and "drew" a picture for me in daycare

atlbaby
05-10-2004, 09:47 AM
I got a pair of cute pjs from the girls, and flowers from DH. Also, DH surprised me with a custom made ice cream cake from my favorite place (Tastie Delite for those of you who have them by you). I felt really pampered yesterday, it was wonderful! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

Hallie_D
05-10-2004, 02:32 PM
DS had already "given" me a sunflower sprout (he planted the seed)with a card of cut-out handprints that he made at daycare, as well as a flower collage the teachers had laminated. DH let me sleep late, got me a really lovely card, a book, some daisies (my favorite), and a gift certificate to foot locker because I am in desperate need of new sneakers. We had a lazy day, hung out in the afternoon with friends and had take-out for dinner.

But my big mother's day surprise was my positive pregnancy test--how shall I put this? Completely unplanned, but not at all unwanted! I'm still in total shock. Due Jan 11.

Karenn
05-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Congratulations! Mine was planned and I was still in shock for about a week so I'm sure it will take you a while to get used to it too! I can't think of a better way to celebrate Mother's day! That's great news!

Karenn
05-10-2004, 02:43 PM
I got a gift certificate to the spa at the hotel where we stayed the night after our wedding. I'm really looking forward to it! Plus, (and this is almost as exciting to me!) DH had FIL come over while I was out and they worked to fix a plumbing problem in the basement that has been bothering us for months!

redhookmom
05-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Congratulations!! I can't think of a better Mother's Day gift.

atlbaby
05-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Congratulations!!!! What an amazing Mother's Day present! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

mamahill
05-10-2004, 05:59 PM
DH and Ainsleigh made crepes with various fillings for breakfast, and then filet mignon, some potato dish (rosti?), and a fresh green salad for dinner. DH gave me an orchid corsage to wear to church (he says he thinks it's cute that all the old ladies, and then I, have them). And I'm getting my first massage on Wednesday for an hour. I am SOOOO excited.

Big CONGRATULATIONS to Hallie!

cric
05-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I got cards... I told DH not to get me a present (but secretly I'm begingin to wish he had anyway for my 1st). I didn't get the biggest thing I wanted - lots of time with just the three of us. Am I supposed to shower MIL with our time, presents and DS for Mother's Day and Grandparents Day (I think that's a stupid Hallmark Holiday, but I'm sure she'll remind us of when it is)? Funny how he had to have a few things for him mom, but couldn't think of anything for me. He had said that he wanted to get me something small, but couldn't find the time. Um, thanks. The more I think of this today the more depressed I get. I didn't even get a picture of DS & I taken on Mothers day. I think there is only 1 other pic of us together in his whole albumn so far (we've taken a ton of pics thanks to the digi cam) - besides the few we took in the hospital.

Does this count as PPD? I'm practically in tears right now!?

raynjen
05-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Just remember - guys are NOT subtle they are very simple. Tell, him that you want a present, that it is HUGELY important to you that you are a mom and you would like him to help your children celebrate this fact. YOU should not be expected to shower MIL with time and gifts - if he wants to do that it is his perogative. I would tell him that you would prefer to celebrate Mother's Day with just the nuclear family.

Try and think of it as a compliment - he still thinks of you as his sexy wife and NOT as a 'mommy'.

HUGS

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

raynjen
05-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Congratulations and happy envy from across the ocean!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

tippy
05-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi All,

Congratulations Hallie! And Lynn, I had my DS 16 mo ago and I would be depressed too! That is why I made sure I told my DH just what I wanted. He wanted us to take a long ride upstate and get some breakfast before taking another hour long drive up to his sisters house and I said nOOOOO I don't think soooo. Why don't you let me sleep in and then DS will get his nap in and THEN we can go to your sisters! Well he did and it was nice to catch some extra zzzzz's. (REALLY REALLY NICE! I AM SO SLEEP DEPRIVED!). When I woke up the apartment was straightened up, the dishes were done and I got some cards and a 100.00 gift certificate from Macy's. All in all a very nice day.:)

Hallie_D
05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

Melanie
05-11-2004, 09:58 PM
A Park Bench that I've been wanting for our porch for a long time (and had done more than hinted, "Look, honey. That's a bench like I want. And Mother's Day IS coming up..." about 6 times), Ds-decorated card and the bigger gift of Dh spending the entire Saturday working on the yard and putting in ground lighting. =) Wait until I tell him it means we can never move b/c I couldn't leave behind a Mother's Day gift. ;-)

Oh, and a pretty bracelet *I* picked out at a renaissance faire last weekend.
Mother to one Angelic Boy (with a slightly-cracked halo)

Melanie
05-11-2004, 09:58 PM
uhm...your OUTSIDE doors?

Melanie
05-11-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm so sorry. =( Sometimes Hubby's just aren't on the same wavelength as we are (like when I hinted for MONTHS about how it was SO cute on a baby story when a son & father gave the "new" mommy a ring for a baby gift to commemorate the occasion).

lukkykatt
05-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Congratulations, Hallie! You definitely got the best Mother's Day present there is.

We went to my mother's house and spent the day with my mother, grandmother, aunt, great aunt and DH's parents. It was a wonderful day - the only sad part is that DH's mother has alzheimer's and no longer knows who we are. But she was in very good spirits and loved seeing the boys.

First thing in the morning, the boys woke my up with their gifts - DH had taken them to the Dollar Store so I got some very interesting things :) Luckily DH talked my older son out of getting me the sword that he had his eye on! And DH gave me a great gift - a room at a hotel this weekend so I can order room service and sleep in! I am very excited about it, but keep having these fears that I am going to wake up at 7am regardless! We'll see...

tippy
05-12-2004, 12:42 AM
ALL BY YOURSELF????!!!!????

lukkykatt
05-12-2004, 02:38 PM
YES!!! Can you believe it?

redhookmom
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Yup. I know, I know...

Neither my DH or I have ever had locked, even growing up. (We leave our keys in the car too.)

But I am reformed. We will lock!!

I mentioned this at playgroup and found out that very few people lock their doors. So I an not alone in my stupidity.

Jeanmick
05-13-2004, 12:09 AM
Hummm...let's see. Prior to Mom's Day: Did the shopping for my mother and MIL (a card and gift) and two SIL's who are my children's godmothers (bought a small token gift and a card for each of them). Morning of Mother's Day: Gather the family's swimming articles (i.e., bathing suits, towels, sunscreen) so we could swim in the pool at my SIL's house to celebrate Mother's Day for my MIL. Had to bring a side dish as well so our early morning's shot getting ready.

Got home in the PM and had to get dinner ready to celebrate Mother's Day for my own mother 'cause we couldn't go to the brunch at my DB's house because it was going on at the same time as my SIL's shindig.

As for Mother's Day for me? Got a couple of cards from my DD and DH that he went shopping for when all of us went to Target the day before Mother's Day. Gifts? None. Anytime devoted to me for Mother's Day? None. Am I still feeling a bit bummed about it all? Selfish of me to admit, but, yeah. <<Sigh>> Oh well...maybe next year.

Edited for grammar

redhookmom
05-13-2004, 12:24 AM
I really don't think you are being selfish! YOU are the MOTHER now. They are the GRANDMOTHERS. There has to be a grandmother day. I'll put a call into Hallmark and find out when it is...

tippy
05-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Lucky girl!!! ENJOY! I think I would spend at least 3/4 of my time luxuriating in the bath! Have a bon-bon for me!

Jeanmick
05-13-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks so much Jessica. I mean, it's not like my family doesn't appreciate what I do. They truly do. I guess I was hoping that it would be acknowledged a bit more on the day for mothers. It's wierd because I've been feeling a bit down these past few days. Probably a backlash from last Sunday, who knows? I'll get over it. I usually do.

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you: I LOVE your statement "Creator of the mood."

So true...so true...

hjdong
05-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Alright, I'm late on this but have had a crazy week (dog shots, dead washing machine, migraines) but I got the best mother's day gift. Jamie finally gave me a kiss - an actual on the cheek kiss instead of the blowing kisses that was his standard -- twice! And,earlier in the week he said, "Wuv oo, wuv oo," which, he still absolutely refuses to repeat, the little stinker.

My DH made me breakfast and attempted to get Jamie to "write" a card. He got a new appreciation of how difficult that is! So, at lunch time he gave up and gave me my gift sans card - Gymboree classes for Jamie and I. Finally, an a/c place to run around!