PDA

View Full Version : Kicking during diaper change

Timmersmom
05-14-2004, 05:33 PM
My 26 month old REALLY hates getting his diaper changed after a BM. He will kick quite violently, and my being 7 months pregnant doesn't help matters. He's not really ready for potty training (the potty is a fun toy to take apart and put back together). I of course change him on his bedroom floor for safety.

I have been holding his feet down, saying "No kicking", but of course the moment I let up, it starts again. It often escalates into me getting louder and louder until I am yelling (and feeling bad). The usual tricks I have for getting him to stay still for the simple non-BM changes don't help.

BTW, this is a kid who would walk around in a poopy diaper all day if I let him - that doesn't bother him at all.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Elizabeth

Timothy 3/11/02
DD due 7/5/04

pamela mom of 3
05-14-2004, 05:48 PM
How about standing up then? it's not as easy as laying down but...

98% of the time i change ds standing up..he's been a kicker too ;)

-good luck

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

caleymama
05-14-2004, 06:39 PM
We moved the changing table out of DD's room a couple of months ago to make more room, so ever since I've been changing her on the floor. I find that she kicks and squirms a lot if I change her from where her feet are, facing her. If I am on the side of her, as I was when she was on the changing table, it's much easier and we don't have any problems. She's not a difficult kid to change even when she is kicking, so this may not be too helpful to you.

candybomiller
05-14-2004, 06:50 PM
We have the same problem. Matt is definitely a "kicker." We haven't come up with a solution yet, but it helps if either dh or myself stand at his head and distract him. Course, it's not always possible to have 2 people at each diaper change.

Just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone!

jojo2324
05-14-2004, 10:18 PM
YES!!! I have no solution, but can completely sympathize. It's been for a few months now, and what a royal pain in the butt it is. DS will stick his hands under his bum, then start bumping his butt up and down while saying "ga ga ga ga." (Gannonese for no.) THEN he'll start with the bicycle kicks. Like I want to be doing this???

What ends up working the best is me just putting the diaper on (as best I can) with his hands in it, then for some reason he calms down enough for me to remove his hands and cinch up the dipe. Sometimes DH will have to hold his hands. Or (don't blast me) the TV is a great distraction. Sometimes.

Jeanmick
05-14-2004, 11:50 PM
I just received the June 2004 issue of Parent's Magazine and on page 24 there is a monthly feature called "Can You Help?" This month's issue deals with a parent having trouble changing her 16 month old's diaper without a wrestling match. One of the suggestions was to put two colorful stickers on the back of the child's hands before you lay the child down to change him. These stickers are supposed to distract the child (he/she will studying them and try to peel them off) so you can put on a fresh diaper. I've done it since yesterday and so far it's working. Maybe this will help cut down on the kicking you're experiencing. Good luck and HTH!

jojo2324
05-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Oooh, that's a great idea!! Thank you! I will definitely be trying that.

brubeck
05-15-2004, 11:03 AM
How often a day does he poop? When I have to change a REALLY messy one I dump the child in the tub and just rinse. Then they can stand up, sit down and kick, whatever but it doesn't get in the way of cleaning. Then when the poop is gone you can take the child out and put on a fresh diaper.

When I was in the pre-potty trainging stage, I would take EVERY poopy diaper and walk DD to the toilet and dump it in and have her flush (so she could learn where is is supposed to go). That way she was already in the bathroom for washing.

Timmersmom
05-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions/sympathy, everyone! I will definitely be trying them all out to see what works.

I did try giving him a book to "read" while changing his BM diaper this morning, and it worked pretty well. . .this time. We'll see how it goes.

I also liked the idea about having your child see the BM from their diapers flushed down the potty. I have been doing this for a couple months now as sort of the "first stage" of potty training.

Thanks again!
Elizabeth

Timothy 3/11/02
DD due 7/5/04

Momof3Labs
05-15-2004, 11:23 PM
I find that Colin is MUCH better behaved when we change him on his changing table - I think that doing it in the same place every time, rather than randomly on the floor, does a better job of setting the expectations. We've used books, toys (trains), pacifiers, singing, every distraction you can think of, over time. Right now, we just tell him to grab something because it is time to change his pants, and he is pretty cooperative. But we've been there, too!

kec2003
05-16-2004, 04:33 AM
I second Lori that a routine is key -- she uses location, we use music! DS will usually put up a protest (no!, rolling away, kicking) for a bit until I start to sing this INCREDIBLY dumb song: "This is the way we change your diaper, change your diaper, change your diaper, this is the way we change your diaper, so you can feel so clean!" I often vary the words each verse if it's an involved change, if you KWIM!

It's like magic -- he wil stop flailing, and just listen to me sing about taking the diaper off, wiping, putting on his pants again, etc. Ususally it doesn't take more than two verses.

This was a tip someone gave me since DS was about 14 months, so it probably helps that we've been doing it a while, but I think kids are total creatures of habit and routine, so even if you start now, you & your DC should come up with some routine that will work pretty soon.

HTH!

Katharine
Christopher Finlay 9/6/02

jojo2324
05-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Thank you for that idea! :)

Chelsey333
05-31-2004, 02:31 PM
I have no advise bec my ds does this too. It started when I was pregnant with my 2nd. It was probably the worse from the time I was 5 mos. pregnant until 8 mos. Now the baby is here and he is better at not doing it - but I am not sure why. Anyway, I sympathize with you - bec it is very frustrating. It is especially frustrating when you are tired and in your 3rd trimester. My ds was about 20 mos. when he started it.