PDA

View Full Version : And now begins the "AAAAUUUUGGGHHH" phase of DS's crafting...

luvbeinmama
05-16-2004, 02:46 AM
So, yesterday was an interesting day as my dad is re-wiring my garage and we had some wierd stuff going on with the circuit he was connecting into. Anyway, toward the end of the day, as my dad is finishing up my DS asks for construction paper, which I give him. He gets out his scissors and some gluesticks and tells me about some arrows he wants to put up. I (being busy with stuff) glibly say, sure honey, and walk away to finish doing something outside. So, he is crafting away inside. After my dad leaves, I come inside and when I turn the corner into my hallway I see 2 cut-out construction paper "arrows" GLUED TO THE WALL!! AAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!!!!! :o I (trying to stay somewhat calm) inform my DS that he is NOT to ever GLUE anything to the wall again! So, while I am removing the arrows from the wall, he informs me that he also put arrows on DD's mirrored closet door and her dresser. And later I found a 5th arrow stuck to my dining room wall. x(

I actually retained my humor due to 3 things for which I am extremely grateful:
1 - He used glue STICKS, not liquid glue
2 - I discovered them fairly quickly after he put them up
3 - I keep Goo Gone in the house at all times!!! LOL!!

Of course, not wanting to stiffle his creativity, I directed him to glue the arrows onto other sheets of paper and we taped them to the wall with masking tape instead (they will be coming down soon). He then also proceeded to have me write the words "entrance" and "exit" for him so he could write them on his arrows. He was making little signs. (awwwww!)

Fortunately, the glue came off without too much work, and I am now laughing about it. :P But there is nothing like that shock when you come in and find your little one has been crafting on your walls!! LOL!!

brubeck
05-16-2004, 11:01 AM
OMG you have just convinced me NOT to give DD glue sticks! She always wants them (she has them in preschool and Sunday School) but I have never let her use glue. Now I know why! :)

It's always fun when they get creative though, isn't it? I'm glad that now you can laugh about it, and it does seem like he was actually trying to be helpful. Maybe you could have him put up some arrows on that new Rainbow set? :)

atlbaby
05-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Sounds like DS is one creative little boy! I'm glad that you are laughing about it now, and also that the arrows came off! :) Did you ask him why he chose the places he did for the arrows? You've definitely helped a whole bunch of us with toddlers with crafty sides! No glue sticks without supervision for us here! (The liquid glue has become "hand cream" so that has to be supervised too, I found out last week. It was quite the sticky mess.)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

AngelaS
05-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Funny!

Gabrielle thinks glue sticks are Chapstick. Since Chapstick is one of her favorite foods she doesn't get to use them very often.... LOL

raynjen
05-16-2004, 07:59 PM
I am chuckling and thanking the fates that this wasn't my post! My daughter' craft area and my Stamping/Scrapping/Sewing/Office are all in the same spot. I have been REALLY good about keeping the sharp stuff up and out of her way, but not so good with the sticky stuff. New shelves coming up!

I guess we should forsee this. DD (when DH was supposed to be 'watching' her =) we know how that works) found his post-it flags for marking his textbooks and flagged herself and the entire living room before I wondered why she was so quiet! There are like 200 flags in a package and she had used them all!

These stories are so much more fun in past tense...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

mamahill
05-16-2004, 08:42 PM
LOL, sorry, but I'm laughing at this. I think that's the cutest thing ever. Of course, it's easy for me to think it's cute when *I* don't have to clean it up! ;)

pamela mom of 3
05-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Oh your brave ;) Glue is hidden away here....i've had too many very evil things take place }(

Glad to hear it cleaned up pretty easily!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

atlbaby
05-16-2004, 10:31 PM
LOL! Arielle adores "makeup" (Chapstick) too. She has the softest lips. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

candybomiller
05-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Matt really loves chapstick too. Wonder what it is about it??

luvbeinmama
05-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Helen, you can give them to her, just be there when she's using them so you can keep her from gluing the walls & furniture! LOL!! He's actually used glue sticks at home several times and knows where I keep them. He just uses a chair to get them out (clever guy). There is no place in my house truly out of reach for him now if he is determined. And the whole thing was so cute it was a little easier not to be too mad at him. ;)

luvbeinmama
05-17-2004, 01:36 AM
I didn't ask him, but I think he mentioned that they were to direct people to the entrances and exits, thus the words on the signs.

Oh, yes, liquid glue is QUITE the mess in little hands. I don't let him use that unless I'm right there and the area is well protected! LOL!!

luvbeinmama
05-17-2004, 01:37 AM
DS really likes "chapstick", too. Must be a sensory thing. Hey, I like the feel of it...

luvbeinmama
05-17-2004, 01:40 AM
That's okay I thought it was cute, too. And it is really funny. The clean up only took me about 5-10 minutes for the whole thing, so it really wasn't so bad. Thank goodness he hadn't really pressed them on hard!