PDA

View Full Version : books on tape

redhookmom
05-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Does anyone use these with their kids? My DS brings home those Scholastic book orders from preschool. :-) There are always a couple of books on tape among the selections. I am wondering what the quality is like. Is it fun for kids to listen to with the book? Is it frustrating for them to try to stay on the right page?

Thanks

candybomiller
05-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Jessica,

I'm answering your questions from my own personal experience. I can remember my mom buying the books on tape for me and I loved them. Most of them use a little ding or bell when it's time to turn the page. I think it really helps kids to feel like they are "reading" all by themselves without any help from Mom or Dad.

I would get one or two and try them out. I think they are worth it.

Thatchermom
05-17-2004, 06:49 PM
We check them out from the library all the time. Ours are generally a book/tape combo. Sometimes they are books that he knows that DS can listen to in the car, sometimes new books that he looks at while he listens. Sometimes he can keep up with the page-turning, sometimes not. Either way he loves them. You might check your library to see if they carry them for a trial run.

brubeck
05-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Are you talking about the thing 'When Tinkerbell waves her wand it's time to trun to the next page!'? I used to love those as kids. We had them on records. Apparently they are worth a mint now on EBay but of course we no longer have them. :(

atlbaby
05-17-2004, 07:34 PM
I remember these from when I was a kid, I used to love them! It made me feel like someone was there reading with me (sound silly?).

Also, since I'm travelling down memory lane here, I used to adore the Choose Your Own Adventure books, when I got older. Anyone love these, too?

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

MartiesMom2B
05-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Loved loved loved, Choose Your Own Adventure. Ever try to go backwards and start from the ending or cheat after you died after 2 pages. LOL.

And I loved my book on record. I had a Snow White book adn record and I moved the record speed to slow when the Witch spoke. I thought that was too hilarious. I think they were fun and probably helped with reading.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

atlbaby
05-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I admit to going back if I died or didn't like the outcome. But I felt guilty! ;)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

brubeck
05-17-2004, 11:22 PM
DH and I both loved Choose Your Own Adventure. We had different ones and when we married we merged our childhood sets. Now we can never get divorced because we won't know whose is whose, LOL!

And it's NOT cheating to go back. After all you read the ENTIRE Choose Your Own Adventure book, right? I used little post-it pieces for each decision I made. Then when I finished I went back to the previous one and explored that branch and so on and so on. That way I saw every possibility. Okay, be honest, was I too anal as a child? :)

redhookmom
05-18-2004, 02:53 AM
I went ahead and ordered the tapes with books. I am looking forward to trying them.

And, I want to Choose an Adventure. I have never heard of those books. There are so many things to look forward to.

atlbaby
05-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Nah, you're just mathematical. :) I did this too. Not with post its, but I would ear mark the pages and then go back and re-do if I didn't like the outcome. I wish DH had some of those so we could have a huge collection. But he was one of those boys who hated to read as a kid so I don't think he had much...

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

candybomiller
05-18-2004, 06:58 PM
I was totally a choose your own adventure cheater! LOL. DH loved those as a kid too, unfortunately all of our books were destroyed in a fire. :( Along with all my books on tape/record.

MartiesMom2B
05-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Post it notes! Darn it, why couldn't I have thought of that. Sadly, I think my mom got rid of all my Choose Your Own Adventures.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03