PDA

View Full Version : Sleep issues

emmiem
05-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Help! We have had trouble keeping our 3 year old in her bed since December. She seems happy when we tuck her in but quietly later sometimes hours later, she ends up in the upstairs hallway with her blanket asleep! She is at the top of the stairs only stopped by a latched gate. If we pick her up, she awakens and wants to be rocked. Fine with that but she never wants either my DH or me to retuck her in. If we force her in bed, she follows to the hallway begging to be rocked.

We are not getting much sleep. The whole bedtime process takes hours and we still end up with a hall way sleeper.

Any thoughts on a gate for her room? Is that too cruel? Will she grow out of this?
Michele

Timmersmom
05-18-2004, 11:29 PM
I don't know if this will help you, but my son just transitioned to a big-boy bed (well, a twin mattress on the floor) last month, and we just keep his door shut. We put one of those covers on the inside doorknob so he couldn't get out. He was used to having his door shut, though. So obviously, I don't think a gate for the bedroom is too cruel.

I have heard of replacing the bedroom door with a screen door, and also of using two gates on top of each other (if you have a climber) in the bedroom doorway.

HTH. Good luck to you.

Elizabeth

Timothy 3/11/02
DD due 7/5/04

emmiem
05-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Elizabeth. I bought a gate and so far, the threat of the gate is keeping her in bed at naptime. At bedtime last night, it was more difficult. We put up the gate and she cried and cried right at the gate for a while.
Michele

Timmersmom
05-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Hope it gets better soon, Michele. It is tough listening to those cries, isn't it? I bet she'll get used to it quickly.

FWIW, my little guy doesn't exactly go right to sleep like a little angel once I shut his door for naps and bedtime, oh no, he goofs around in his room. He likes to zoom his little cars underneath his door into the hallway. But I just figure he'll go to sleep when he's tired. And he always does. I think he's a lot happier than when he was in his crib.

Elizabeth

Timothy 3/11/02
DD due 7/5/04

emmiem
05-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks! Today DD played in her room for 2 hours instead of napping but at least she stayed in her room! At night, it is still rough. I went up three times last night after she woke up crying and had to rock her but she is staying in the room. The gate is just in the hallway to remind her.
Michele