PDA

View Full Version : Preschool Preparing

JulieL
05-20-2004, 04:16 PM
DS is enrolled this fall at a local preschool for two mornings from 9:00-11:30. The program looks awesome and DS hated leaving after just visiting there! But he is pretty clingy still and I want to make this transition as easy as possible for him. I got the book on preschool w/Barney, are there any others out there? He will be 2 1/2 when he starts. They allow him to bring a security object and I was thinking about getting one of those stuff animals that has a place for you to put a picture on the belly. He doesn't really have a security item, per say. Any one have any ideas on how to make this sucessful? DH is in med school so DS is aquainted with the concept of school, well sort of. So I hope that helps him out. Ok any advice?

Jeanmick
05-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Here's a link from a previous post that may help you:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=50&topic_id=34&mesg_id=34&page=

HTH!

Edited for grammar

Jeanne
05-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Julie,
I think it's a great idea to bring an animal with a picture in it. I don't know of any other books but I suspect that if he enjoyed it the first time he went, and he's only going to be there for such a limited time, he'll be so busy having so much fun that he might only cling to it for a short time.

We enrolled our oldest in pre-school in January after being in the care of a family member for a little over two years. I was worried about the transition, but she adjusted immediately and absolutely loves "school". She goes three full days per week and every morning that she goes, she runs out the door with DH practically skipping to the car! Every now and then she'll get clingy with DH (he drops her off in the morning), but her teachers are easily able to put her mind to other things so it's never been too hard.

Best of Luck! I'm sure he'll do fine!

egoldber
05-21-2004, 12:36 AM
In addition to reading the books (and hyping up how fun, fun, fun school is while reading them) there are some other things that may help. When it is closer to the time for school to start, let him pick out a backpack, etc. to take. Drive by the school, point it out, and talk about how it is HIS school. In those couple weeks, really hype up how fun school is and all the fun things he will do: paint, color, play outside, etc. And then expect the first few weeks to be rough. But he will undoubtedly soon get over it and love going to school. I honestly don't know how I'm going to break it to DD that school is over for the "year" after next week. Every day she says "I wanna go to school today!"

If he doesn't have a true lovey, I wouldn't introduce a stuffed animal. Unless he needs it for comfort, it could be a hassle to drag back and forth, find it on hectic school mornings, keep it clean, etc. Maybe find a photo backpack? But at DD's school, we brought in family pictures the first week, and they hung them all on the wall, so that the kids could look at mommy and daddy while at school.

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
05-24-2004, 08:45 PM
I have another question:

Martie will be enrolled in Mother's Day Out on Weds. mornings. I really kind of don't know what to expect. I don't know if it's like preschool. She'll be 17 months when it starts. Do you think I should be preparing her or reading books to her about it. Will she be able to comprehend what's going on? The one good thing about it is that the MDO is at our church, and she's been in the same rooms when she goes to childcare at church.

Also do you think I should be trying to adjust her naps at all? She normally takes a nap about 2 hours after she wakes up in the morning. But if we are running errands or something comes up, I have been able to push her nap back to the afternoon.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

redhookmom
06-01-2004, 01:19 AM
My ds loves The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

The mother raccoon in this story has a special secret that's been in the family for years--the Kissing Hand. She takes her son's hand, spreads his tiny fingers into a fan and kisses his palm--smack dab in the middle: "Chester felt his mother's kiss rush from his hand, up his arm, and into his heart." All Chester has to at school is press his hand to his cheek to feel the warmth of his mother's kiss.

But watch out b/c one day my ds told me that he didn't think he needed the Kissing Hands anymore. I cried all the way home.

lukkykatt
06-01-2004, 11:24 AM
We did the Kissing Hand too, and we too had that sad day...

egoldber
06-01-2004, 12:23 PM
I hate to admit this, but I couldn't read The Kissing Hand without getting choked up, so I skipped it. I figured getting all teary was not the message I wanted to send to DD. :) We did much better with Barney and Baby Bop Go to School, lol.