PDA

View Full Version : Sleep issues at 2??

jojo2324
05-20-2004, 09:22 PM
I read in Karen's post that they've been having trouble with sleep lately. Same here. Are other 2/almost 2-year olds going through the same thing? This past week, he has fought his nap tooth and nail. Some days he didn't have one, other days he would fall asleep at 3 and zonk out for 3 hours. Great. He is still the crankmeister, later nap or not. Then come bedtime, all hell breaks loose. Kicking, screaming, screaming, screaming...The other night he would not fall asleep before 10:30. And of course was still up the next morning at 6:30. He is up that time every stinkin' morning. x(

We do have other things at play here. I have started back at work, and my DH is barely home right now. (Also because of work.) We have a nanny who has been with us for about 3 weeks. Initially I thought the sleep issues were to be expected, but how long should I keep expecting them? Or, is it an age thing? TIA!! :)

Tonight he actually did go to sleep peacefully. Aaaaaah. His sister took over for him though, or course!!

muskiesusan
05-20-2004, 10:18 PM
My 2.5 year old has been driving me nuts with sleep the past couple of months. At first he would move from his bed to ours and fall asleep before I came to bed, so I would just move him (being 9 months pregnant I didn't have the energy to fight it). That lasted about a month until he decided he didn't want to go to bed by himself at all. Of course this happened within days of my c-section and dh was on an extended business trip. Unable to lift him, I would lie in bed until he fell asleep. Well, now, three weeks later, he still wants this and takes hours to go to sleep, and does this at naps as well. Of course, DH is gone regularly, which makes it hard. I can't juggle nursing a newborn and have sleep battles as I don't have 2 hours every night to put Nick to bed.

I am hoping it is a faze because of the baby coming and now being here, but am scared on how long it will last and the habits that are being created. Oh, and we get up early every morning as well no matter how late the bedtime was, and as you know, that makes for a lovely start to the day!

Sorry so long, I guess I needed to vent!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

lukkykatt
05-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Yes, we've been having issues too. He had a bad excema flare-up, and I was hoping that the discomfort from that was what was causing the night time problems.

But now that has cleared up and we're still having issues. Sometimes he is up 3 or 4 times in the middle of the night. Tonight I've already been in his room twice because he was crying...I don't get it!

We did transition to a bed a few months ago - I was wondering if that could be it, but he seems comfortable there...

I think it is an evil scheme to stir things up once you have gotten into a little routine! :)

newbelly2002
05-24-2004, 11:42 AM
I'm right there with you. Dante has been an angel, to bed with no fuss at 8 each night, and up between 7:30 and 8:30 AM.

Until now.

We took the rails off of his crib (making it a modified toddler bed) about 2 weeks ago and left our bedroom door open for him to come and get us. The first week everything went fine. He would come in at the reasonably sane hour of 7/7:30. Then it started creeping earlier. The past 5 days he's been in between 5 and 5:30 AM. And this boy brings a book with him, no creeping into our bed to cuddle and sleep until 7 or so. The first thing he says: "Mama, Papa, Up. Book."

We've thought maybe the second year molars, the elephants upstairs (who apparently have an early job), phase of Mercury? I'm dying here, although it's good to know I'm not alone. Any other options?

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

MelissaTC
05-24-2004, 06:52 PM
No you are not alone. My little stinker has been waking at night, not wanting to go to sleep, etc.. He is normally a wonderful sleeper. We have never had sleep issues before.

Last night, I awoke to his screams. I mean SCREAMS. I am sure the whole neighborhood heard him. He was freaking out! Not sure what is going on but this isn't the first time...

I am praying that he sleeps the night through...I don't want to awake to that again!