PDA

View Full Version : Went to look for knapsacks...but they're so BIG!!

atlbaby
05-24-2004, 03:14 PM
Not sure if this would be better in the Preschool forum, but I thought I'd try here.

I went to Target today to scope out the knapsacks and lunch boxes for Arielle, since she'll need these for her two weeks of camp in July, and preschool this fall. I went solo because I wanted to see what they had, since it's been awhile since I've been shopping for this stuff! There were a bunch of soft sided lunch boxes (with a bit of insulation) and I think they're pretty much all the same. But the aisle of knapsacks had tons of character ones--and they're HUGE! I mean she's not a tiny kid but I can't picture her wearing it. Even the smallest one had wheels, which made it pretty heavy for a two year old I'd think. Where have you seasoned preschool moms bought knapsacks for your toddlers? Are there smaller ones out in late August and it's just off season?

BTW, the small one was Strawberry Shortcake and very cute. I was laughing to myself since I had one when I was in elementary school! :)

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

twins r fun
05-24-2004, 03:33 PM
I've noticed the same things with book bags (just in passing, not that I've really looked with purpose). Do you definitely want a back pack? When I taught kindergarten, we requested that the kids have canvas tote bags so that they could easily get things in and out of them and they fit papers/art projects easily because of the open top and no zipper. We had lots of parents who ignored us, but we also had a lot who would get them at the craft store and then decorate with fabric paints to make them fun for thier child.

Thatchermom
05-24-2004, 06:46 PM
When we visited family at Christmas DS was fascinated with the luggage, so for our spring trip I bought him a rolling backpack (large, like you are talking about) that I figured I would really be carrying or putting in the stroller in the airport...HA! He rolled that thing all over the house for days, from the car in the airport parking lot all the way to the seat on the plane. He is fanatic about his "Pooh Pack". It is now our library book bag. Today he wheeled it around with 12 books in it, along with whatever other toys, snacks, etc he had decided were mandatory for story time and the park today. He could never wear it on his back yet, but the straps can be put away and he has no problem pulling it. He is a major traffic hazard and knocks people/things over, but that is another story! Did you try wheeling any? You might be surprised how easy they move. And how much DD likes being in charge of moving it!

pamela mom of 3
05-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Lands end and LLbean both make bags that wouldn't be huge ...

http://www.landsend.com

http://www.llbean.com

We have quite a few in different sizes and they work very well :)

ETA: also payless shoes has some cute ones, last i was popping by

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

brubeck
05-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Do you need both a knapsack AND a lunch box? DD only gets a lunchbox and I just carry her artwork for the day to the car when I pick her up. After all, it's not like she has textbooks, pens and homework! :)

If you want a toddler-sized knapsack, we got one when we joined the Dr. Seuss & Friends Book Club. It's pretty nice, only about a foot high and has the Cat in the Hat on it. I have also seen some cute ones at Gymboree and TCP ([particularly when the back to school lines come out).

egoldber
05-24-2004, 10:05 PM
I found Sarah's backpack at Marshalls last year. It was the smallest I found in the price range I wanted to spend (< $10, LOL!), and didn't have wheels. There is a Jansport backpack that is really small, but I think it is close to $20. The selection is probably poor right now since its not "back to school" time yet.

Honestly, her backpack could have been even smaller. The only things I ever put in it were diapers, wipes and her spare outfit. I just carried her artwork and papers to the car. It was easier (for me) than putting them in the backpack, and I was always afraid I would squish the precious artwork. :)

And FYI, *I* carried Sarah's backpack 99.999999% of the time. Her lunchbag too. :)

raynjen
05-25-2004, 03:28 AM
I got Noelle a JanSport Half Pint. It literally is about half the size of other backpacks, Noelle is tiny and it fit her. In a pinch we can fit her (soft sided) lunch box in there, but nothing else. At her school they required a bag for their extra diapers/wipes or undies/extra clothes. I paid a little extra for the two-toned one (about $20), but I figured it was worth it for a pack that is waranteed for life! I found it at our BX (base exchange), but I just googled it and it is everywhere online.

One thing I did to help the transition (though it ended up being completely unnecessary) was to attach a small photograph of my husband and myself inside the backpack.

Here is a photo of Noelle's backpack (I removed the JanSport logo tag to have more room for the embroidery) and another of her wearing it on the first day of school...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6706.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6707.jpg

Kimberly H
05-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Jen, Noelle's too cute! Did you do the embroidery yourself?

Kimberly H
05-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Rachel, I was looking for a purse for Mia last night at Wal*Mart and they had some small backpacks in the regular purse section between it and the luggage.

atlbaby
05-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Noelle is so adorable, Jen!!! And the embroidery on the backpack is really pretty. I'll look into the Jansport one. Too bad I'm not crafty, though... :(

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

atlbaby
05-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks so much for all the suggestions, everyone.

Helen, the preschool told me that she does need both a backpack and lunchbox, since she needs a spare outfit and diapers/wipes/sunscreen/insect spray.

And Beth, I think I'll take your advice and plan on keeping her artwork out of the backpack. The collages/paintings she does at her Mommy&Me aren't really foldable anyhow. :) I hadn't thought of it, but I bet she'll be asking me to hold one or both of her bags anyhow.

So I think for the two weeks of camp I'll just use the tiny backpack that her current preschool gave the kids for camp last summer. That way, I'll have time to wait for the back to school lines at Gymbo and Target, and I can check out the Jansport one too. I just wanted to take her to choose her own backpack and lunchbox so she could get excited about school, but I think having her choose a lunchbox will be fun enough.

I'm hadn't expected to be so excited for her to go to school by herself, but I really am!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

raynjen
05-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Yes I did. It actually was a lot easier than it looks. I found a font I liked on my computer, used that "Word Art" function to make it curved and then printed it out. I held it up to a window and traced the back with a transfer pen (found at sewing shop) and then ironed it on the backpack (carefully to keep the material from melting). Then it was just a matter of 'filling' the empty spots and outlining it in a different color. I kind of made it up as I went along since I had never done embroidery before (I do crosstitch where they tell you where to put what colors :))

I like to make a fuss about events (firsts and traditions). This was one thing I did to make the first day of school special (for me, not for Noelle).

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)