PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses For Kids who Wear Glasses?

pamela mom of 3
05-24-2004, 09:13 PM
DD wears glasses, she is supposed to wear them all the time...now what i am curious on is what do you do for sunglasses for the summer months? do you get some with the script in them? or just a normal pair of sunglasses?

Unfortunately her's did not come with a sunglass "clip" now looking back i see i should have made that choice x(

Her glasses are new, she's had them almost 6mths.....so i am pretty new to how you handle all this.

Thank you!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

nigele
05-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Hi Pamela,

Tom wears glasses and we got him Transitions lenses in his current frames which turn dark when he is in the sunlight. They are awesome and I would highly recommend them. I know you might not want to invest in a new pair of glasses so you might just want to give your optician a call and see if there are any clip-ons that will fit your DD's glasses - you might be able to find a brand that will work with her current glasses.

Take care,

pamela mom of 3
05-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Thank you for the input, i tried to get a pair of clip-ons but they said unfortunately they don't sell any for this pair of frames..they only sell them as a "complete" unit..

They can do the transitions, i suppose my concern is do they wear out? i know my sil had a pair and they stopped working for lack of a better way to describe it LOL

DD has to go in for her 6mth check up next month so a new script maybe in order anyhow, the transitions maybe the way to go if that is what is required.

~Pamela Mom Of 3

Melanie
06-07-2004, 03:52 PM
I was wondering the same, Lisa...Do the transitions work well now? I know when they were a newer phenomenon, they never truly got clear and always looked a little shaded...and then wouldn't get dark enough as they got older.

Anyway, Pamela, next time I strongly recommend the ones with the magnetic sunglass attachment. I just got a pair and even though they cost a lot more, they don't cost more than two separate pairs and it is worth the price. Especially if your daughter, like me, can't see a darn thing when she takes them off. I used to have a separate pair for each and it would never fail as I was walking into a building switching them someone would say something to me and I couldn't even see who they were!

Our insurance won't cover new frames everything there is a new prescription, though, and of course I was one month shy of being eligible for a new pair. *eyeroll*

pamela mom of 3
06-07-2004, 08:10 PM
I agree we should have looked at the 2 in one styles but...hey what did i know about this at that time LOL...live & learn ;)

Seriously though i guess we thought along the same lines as DH who can buy a seperate sunglass clip-on, we *thought* the same applied to childrens but unfortunately no.

We're not sure whether a new Rx will be needed or not...she goes next week then we'll go from there...since she just got her glasses our insurance is done for the year we think, so it'll be us who pay the bill for whatever comes next, if her Rx stays the same we'll probably just price out a cheaper frame for some sunglasses for now and then later on when she's older get a new frame with attachment clip on.

ugh, so much to learn LOL :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

nigele
06-08-2004, 01:33 PM
The Transitions lenses are great. They do take a couple of minutes once you are inside to lighten but when they do, they are perfectly clear. I guess I'll never know if they wear out since Tom's prescription will be changing several times over the next few years and we won't have any one pair of lenses for more than 6-12 months. We are lucky in that, after a huge struggle with our health insurance company, our glasses are covered under medical insurance since Tom needs glasses as a result of a medical condition. We still have a $26 co-pay but I can't complain!

HTH.