PDA

View Full Version : ISO a preschool learning activity type book

sugarsnappea
05-25-2004, 09:07 AM
My new goal is to teach JG something new and different each week. However, I get confused about what is exactly is appropriate at her age. I remember thumbing through huge books of developmentally appropriate activities at a class we once took. This is the type of book I am looking for. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I looked into preschool homeschooling books but there are myriad of choices. TIA! :)

egoldber
05-25-2004, 02:48 PM
A great choice is "Slow and Steady Get Me Ready". It is exactly what you describe, one activity per week. The book goes from birth to kindergarten. The activities are usually readily made with things around the house. I sometimes skip around a bit in the book if that week's activity doesn't float my boat.

HTH,

atlbaby
05-25-2004, 03:19 PM
I took a look at Slow and Steady Get Me Ready on Amazon and it looks interesting. I'm wondering, though, is there a spiritual flavor to the book? On Amazon the book's description by the author states that it was "divinely inspired."

ETA--Did you use it when Sarah was under a year, or more when she was a toddler? I was thinking of it for Arielle, but maybe I'd use it for Daliya as well...

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

egoldber
05-25-2004, 05:39 PM
I used it more when she was a toddler.

There is nothing religious in the book. It was written by a kindergarten teacher as a "primer" for getting your kids ready for school. Its very popular around here, since it was written by a Fairfax County (VA) public school teacher, which is where I live. :)

HTH,

Lucia
05-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Here is another book to check out. My friend is starting a small group with other moms and preschoolers and they will be using this book as a guide for weekly gatherings. It is sold by La Leche League and it looked like a great book to have.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=Education&cart_id=3187281_25205

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

sugarsnappea
05-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Thanks Beth.

I too, was wondering if there was a religious aspect to the book. Amazon says the book was inspired by a bible passage.

It looks like exactly what I am looking for. :)

redhookmom
05-26-2004, 10:17 AM
I have used Slow and Steady with both of my kids and enjoyed it.

Another book I like is Story Stretchers. The authour's name is escaping me right now. It is filled with activities associated with books that the kids love.

August Mom
05-28-2004, 04:37 AM
I have the Bright Ideas for Mommy & Me cards by Pal Toys. There are 52 cards in the deck, each with a different activity. Each deck is geared to a different age group. Most activities involve the use of household items. They are pretty nice. However, there is no greater context or explanation about the activities. Each card is simply an activity, with an illustration of the activity on one side and instructions on the other.