PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE- Should I be worried about Julia's speech?

cdlamis
05-27-2004, 08:58 PM
UPDATE- All you mammas were right as usual! Julia has gone from hardly saying 2 word sentences just 2 months ago to saying 3 word ones and even a few 4 word ones now! Usually starting with "I want..." :)
Just lately, she starting saying "I want play this" or "I want go mommy" which means "I want to go with Mommmy" as opposed to Daddy. Poor Daddy :(

So thank you all for your enocuragement that she would start talking. I am also posting this for all the other parents waiting for their children to start forming sentences. Like everyone said, it just happens one day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

At Julia's 18 month appt, the pediatrician said that Julia was on the low end regarding number of spoken words. She was not concerned but did say that she wanted Julia speaking in 2 word sentences by 2 years old. Well, thats coming up in 2 weeks and it not happening. She might say "No Mommy" or "Down Mommy" but nothing like "go outside" or "read book".

Should I be worried? I know that everyone is different but I see many toddlers here that say 3 or 4 word sentences at Julia's age.

I lost count but she probably says about 30-40 words.

TIA-
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And baby #2 EDD 12-30-04!!

jojo2324
05-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Daniella, I think that qualifies. When I was asking my ped about this same issue, she gave the example of "Mom, go" as a two word sentence. And I think 30-40 words is a fine number.

FWIW, DS only has about 9 spoken words. (And he's about 3 weeks younger than Julia.) He said bye daddy yesterday. It was a bit warbled, and he stumbles over it a bit...But hearing it made my heart leap!! I worry all the time about his language development, so it was reassuring to hear those two words strung together, even though they comprise nearly 20% of his vocab.

Karenn
05-28-2004, 12:01 AM
I think it's so funny how what worries one pediatrician won't phase another. I think Colin's language skills are in about the same place as Julia's. He has around 40-50 words and doesn't put two words together yet (not even "No mommy" or "down mommy" like Julia.) He's got a bunch of signs too. The ped. wasn't worried at all. But I was. :) So I took him to a free screening in our community where they discerned that his speech was "borderline" and that I should take him to a speech pathologist for an evaluation. They too decided that he's "borderline" and we're currently on a waiting list for three months. At the end of the three months he'll either start therapy or they'll decide his speech is OK.

For what it's worth, the speech pathologist wasn't worried about his language (the number of words he says or the ability to put two words together) but more the sounds he uses with the words he does say. At the first screening they said that what Colin says should be able to be understood by a stranger 50% of the time. He's got some really funny words for things that don't really match what he's trying to say. For example, for the longest time, "Big Bird" was "Doot-dooka-dooka-do." Grandpa is "rah rah rah rah," baby is "Hee hoo," and probably 50% of the rest of his words are some variation of "da." Really, DH and I are the only ones who can understand him most of the time.

So that's my long winded way of saying that I agree with Joanne- I think Julia's two word combinations count (and even if they don't, it didn't seem to phase the SLP that Colin wasn't speaking "sentences" yet.)

darby24
05-28-2004, 02:54 AM
I would say a big no to being worried. But then again I'm really only used to my nephew. His number of spoken words: one. Dada.

He used to be able to say the dog's name - Darby (hence my user name) pronounced it dobby, but that's dropped off and now the dog is just a grunt and a "heh". He does say Momma, but it's rare these days. However in the last two weeks he's getting better at duck (at least we think it's duck!)

He does sign - probably 20. We can understand him most of the time, but it will be nice when he can speak. My sister isn't worried and so neither am I.

ETA - typos

jlcana
05-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't worry about it yet. Our ped suggested speech therapy at 18 months and I wanted to wait until he was about 2 if needed. I didn't think he needed to be pushed at 18 months! It's not that I don't listen to my ped but DS's speech at the time was about the same as every other toddler we came across in playgroup or outings. Right around his 2nd birthday he started to really talk a lot in a short period of time-like a week! Now DS is 26 months and probably talks more than most other kids his age. Trust your instincts- keep reading to her every chance you get and name everything around her. Chris started to talk more when I would ask him open ended questions-"Do you want milk or juice?" instead of "Do you want milk?" and "Do you want juice?". Then I waited for him to answer most of the time before I would give it to him. I've been told by other moms with older children that one day I'll long for when he didn't talk so much!

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Another boy EDD 9/20/04

mamahill
05-28-2004, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Ainsleigh was putting a couple words together around her second birthday, but it wasn't eloquent by any stretch of the imagination :). And then, about a month ago, her speech has taken off. We didn't see my parents for a couple weeks (they live close, but were out of the country) and when they returned, they both said Ainsleigh seemed like a different kid. She jabbers on, mixing in real and "her" words, she sings songs (the ABCs, ring-around-the-rosie, Twinkle Twinkle, etc.), counts to 11, etc. The songs and sentences often have made up words, but they are words. And yesterday she said, "Turn fire on please." It took me a moment to interpret that "fire" meant "humidifier," but I understood. Sorry for the rambling - sheesh, no wonder she's been holding back - I talk enough for both of us!

It will happen - but go with your gut. And maybe if Julia wants to go outside say, "Say GO...(have her repeat) OUTSIDE (repeat)." Encourage her to put words together, but don't force it. Before long you'll be begging for quiet ;).

cdlamis
05-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. It makes me feel better to know we are not alone and that she seems ok.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

cdlamis
05-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Sarah-
Not to make you feel bad or anything :) but it was your post the other day about Ainsleigh saying that she wanted a brother (or baby) that made me stop in my tracks. It was a 3 or 4 word sentence and I was amazed that she could communicate like that.

So, I am glad you posted here. It's reassuring to know that Ainsleigh's vocabulary took off suddenly. Thanks!

Patiently waiting for my jabber mouth~

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

hjdong
05-29-2004, 12:39 AM
I had also heard that it was more the sound that they woried about at this age. I'm wondering if they answered a question I've had - is it 50% of the time he speaks that he should be understood or 50% of the time he is trying to communicate? Jamie still spends lots of time babbling and knows he isn't "talking." I would guess that a stranger could understand at least 50% of his words however (although his two favotries - do again and doggie sound darn close to each other!)

Karenn
05-29-2004, 01:05 AM
I could be wrong on this, but I don't think they were expecting to understand 50% of his babbling. I think that they wanted for 50% of his actual words to be understood by a stranger. Colin does a lot of babbling too. It cracks me up because he'll say these complete nonsense sentences with total inflection and intonation. Yet at the same time, he makes it clear that he knows he's not really saying "anything."

mamahill
05-29-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh nooooo! First of all, I've learned that what I understand coming from Ainsleigh is vastly different from what others hear coming from her. What sounds like a string of jabber to others, means, "We had a fun day." (it comes out "weeha finday." It's about 2 words smashed into 2 :). Also, I've had friends who tell me what their kid says and I think, "Man, Ainsleigh doesn't talk that much," and then we get together for playgroup and I think, "Well Ainsleigh talks like that!" What doesn't come across in typing or conversation are often the speech impediments and pausing/panting which often accompanies what these kids say.

But again, Ainsleigh's speech in the last month has totally taken off. I often have to stop and kind of analyze what it is she has just said before responding. And after working through it we'll figure out what she's saying. Other times it totally takes me by surprise that I understand 4 words she has strung together.

Anyway, I feel bad that my post made you feel bad, especially since I've been in your shoes many times and I *HATE* feeling like my kid isn't measuring up. But seriously, just wait. Some days now I say, "How about we be quiet for a little bit?" and then she whispers. Continually. Oh well.

There's something magical about turning 2, I think. But then, I said that about turning 1, too. Maybe it's all magical :).

lukkykatt
05-29-2004, 11:32 PM
She sounds more than ok - she is doing great if she has 30 - 40 words! Don't worry about it any more.

My older son had about 3 or 4 words when he turned 2. We even had taken him to get his hearing checked at 18 months, just to be safe (DH's grandmother had a congenital hearing problem). Shortly after he turned 2, his speech just took off and it seems like he has never stopped talking since :)

My younger son will be two in a few weeks, and probably has the same number of words as Julia. He just recently started putting two words together. I have never spent one minute worrying about his speech, because he is talking SO much more than my older son was at the same age. You'll see, once they get on a roll, they will just add more and more words every day.

Julia is really really doing great! Keep us posted on her progress!

cdlamis
05-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Sarah-
Please don't feel bad! I just thought it was great that you replied about Ainsleigh's progress since I was technically "comparing" my Julia to her.
This thread made me realize how VERY different kids can be at the same age!
BTW- That made me laugh when you said that she whispers when you ask her to be quiet! She is too cute!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

jojo2324
05-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Andrea, do your think your DS #2 is talking more, and sooner, because he was exposed to it more through your interaction with DS #1? I just wonder about DD...You know Gannon has language delay...I wonder if one day she might speak more than he does, given his rate thus far.

mom2kandj
05-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Our grunting boy rarely uses two word sentences unless they use the word momma or mommy. Example - momma go, momma juice, momma out. Not too exciting. There was one day last week when he said, "Ma - ma - kay - tee - ky - ing". I almost cried! :) This came from a boy with less words than Julia(25+). At his 18 month check, he had the bare minimum 10 words, but our ped wasn't worried. Like previous posters have mentioned the magical 2 year mark does come and all of the sudden they start making huge strides in their speech. I was very concerned about his development, but have since stopped stressing as his pretend play and babbling has picked up. Keep in mind that all kids are different and that comparing will drive you nuts! FWIW, his older sister had a vocabulary of 50+
words and spoke in 3-4 word sentences when her dear brother was born. Yes, she was 16 and a half months old! Now, she talks a lot for him and we have to stop her to let Jack answer a question or two on his own. HTH just a little!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

lukkykatt
05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Honestly, I think that they are just 2 different kids. My older son is alot more cautious and was a late walker (16 months) and a late talker (2+ before things really got rolling).

I spent ALOT more one on one time with my older son than I was/am able to spend with DS#2 (for obvious reasons!). So you could say that although he did not get the same quality or quantity of one on one time, he did get the exposure to family interaction - I don't know if one is more important than the other...

But my gut reaction is that it is just a difference in their personalities.

Karenn
07-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Daniella,
That's so great! Thanks for the update! I'd been thinking of posting something similar- Colin's language has taken off in the last couple of weeks too! There really must be some two year old brain switch!

(And, Colin's been going through the whole "mommy do it" syndrome too. I hope that ends for both of us before the new babies come!)

August Mom
07-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the update. This is an area I'm a little concerned about too. I just got my BabyCenter e-mail that said my almost 2 year old is probably speaking in 3-word sentences. Well, my DS is barely saying single words, let alone combining them. Hopefully it will happen for him overnight too.

mamahill
08-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Yay! That's fabulous news. Now good luck in decifering some of their sentence construction. For some reason, Ainsleigh has now resorted to Yoda-esque speaking:

"Go in car with Mommy want."

"have lunch and ice cream want."

"take shower want."

Like she decided to just throw the want in there because she forgot it at first? I don't get it. But it's funny, so I laugh!