PDA

View Full Version : DD with constipation problems!

Jeanmick
05-31-2004, 02:43 AM
My DD has not had a bowel movement in the last 3-4 days. My own father and grandfather have a history of constipation, so I guess it runs (no pun intended :) ) in the family!

We've talked to the doctor about this and all she's recommended is that we need to give her more fiber and liquids. Well, we've been trying to get more fiber and liquids into her system, but she is an extremely picky eater, like many kids her age. We've tried Crackin' Oat Bran, Oatmeal, fruit, vegetables, high fiber crackers and other high fiber cereals, but she's tired of eating these things!

Any other ideas on high fiber, tasty snacks we can give her? I'm getting desperate...like I want to spike her milk with Metamucil or something like that!

We'd appreciate any input/advice!

atlbaby
05-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Have you tried prune juice? Our ped recommended offering some prune juice (diluted with water, if you like) and it did the trick within the hour! I gave DD about 3-4oz (plus about 2 oz water) in her sippy. She'd never had it before and I was afraid she'd hate it, but she downed it immediately. Maybe this would help your DD? Or perhaps putting cream cheese or jelly on the crackers, to make them different/interesting? High fiber waffles? Arielle is a honey addict, so sometimes drizzling honey on top of things (oatmeal, waffles, etc) will get her to eat them.

Good luck!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

Momof3Labs
05-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Grapes and raisins keep things moving around here for Colin - dried cranberries help, too. Stay away from bananas, they are very constipating for Colin. Actually, almost any dried fruit (have you tried apricots?) should help with constipation.

Karenn
05-31-2004, 11:48 AM
We used the Gerber Prune juice once. It's blended with apple juice and didn't taste as badly as it could. I think it helped.

Good luck! I've only had to deal with a constipated little one once, but it's not an experience I'd want to repeat!

Thatchermom
05-31-2004, 06:55 PM
We call DS the Constipation King. All juice around here is prune or pear. He hates most dried fruit but we have gotten him to eat yogurt covered raisins, and yes, we have Cracklin Oat Bran every morning.

One very bad experience (more than 7 days!) had our ped tell us to use a glycerin suppository...it was so ugly that now we just have to mention "medicine in your bottom" and we suddenly have a bowel movement...

Our ped did allow us to use Benefiber mixed with food (yogurt was a favorite), but for the cost it really didn't seem to help that much. DS has more of a mental constipation than a physical one. Blech.

Kimberly H
05-31-2004, 07:52 PM
My older son had some constipation problems concurrent with using the potty and our ped recommended the apple cinnamon Metamucil wafers. He was only to have 1/2 of one every day until he was regular again, then twice a week to help him stay regular for about 8 weeks, then stop. He did great and he liked them - great for a picky eater.

Kimberly H
05-31-2004, 07:52 PM
My older son had some constipation problems concurrent with using the potty and our ped recommended the apple cinnamon Metamucil wafers. He was only to have 1/2 of one every day until he was regular again, then twice a week to help him stay regular for about 8 weeks, then stop. He did great and he liked them - great for a picky eater.

Jeanmick
06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Thank you SO much for the suggestions! Today she had a difficult time with her movements (poor thing). My DH and I didn't really know what to do. We're lucky because she scheduled for a doctor's appointment tomorrow for a physical (Bad mom...forgot to schedule her well child checkup last December. Yikes! :( ). I'm going to write down everything you've said and bring these up with with pediatrician.

You guys are great!

hjdong
06-01-2004, 01:00 AM
DS seems to get constipatd easily. He will eat prunes in an emergency, which works great. But, what we've found for regular maintenance, so to speak, is to mix cut up raisins into his yogurt in the a.m. Since we've started that, he rarely seems to have problems.

Jeanmick
06-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, my DD's constipation is not due to hard stools anymore. She's now voluntarily witholding her bowel movements. We've been giving her 1 TBS of Benefiber with her drink two times a day in addition to the high fiber meals that she gets. The last couple of times she did go, her stools were of a nice consistency. She did not have any pain and it seemed to be a positive experience. Now the problem is now trying to get her to produce a bowel movement. I had to convince (aka "bribe") her to stay in the potty for 20 minutes the last time she had a bowel movement and she didn't have any problem with it at all. Now everytime I ask her, she tells me that doesn't want to go "poo." And it's been THREE days!! She's also starting to get a bit cranky...the type of cranky when you're a bit out of sorts, like when you're tummy's full and you need to go.

Any ideas on how to help her? I've tried bribery, stickers, and she won't have any of it.

raynjen
06-19-2004, 08:47 PM
What worked for us was no TV/videos until you go... now I have a child who goes twice a day! Initially I put new DVDs in the bathroom where she could see them, but not reach them. Every time she asked for it (which was everytime we were in or by the bathroom) I said, "not until you poop in the potty" it took about 3 days before this soaked in and she decided to go - she's been a regular pooper ever since.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)

atlbaby
06-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Jen, I'm going to try this myself! For the past two weeks, since Arielle stopped wearing diapers and began wearing underwear (or Easy Ups), she's not been pooping much at all. She's only pooped three times in the past seven days, and she used to be a once-a-day (or more!) kid. Twice it's been while she was sleeping (in her Easy Up) and once it was on the potty. So she's definitely withholding. What's odd to me is that she isn't complaining about tummy aches, though. Occasionally, she'll ask for a diaper (so I know she's thinking about pooping) but when I redirect her to the potty she doesn't complain...but she doesn't go.

I fed her a lot of fruits and veggies today, but she still didn't go. I think I'll try the "no videos/tv until you poop" method tomorrow, and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

Jeanmick
06-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the idea! I'm definitely going to try this one! BTW...she had a bowel movement the evening after my posting. Today we're on Day #3 of no poop. Wish me luck! :)

raynjen
06-21-2004, 08:26 PM
! ! ! LUCK LUCK LUCK ! ! !

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)
Architect in a previous life!

Melanie
06-26-2004, 04:49 AM
Ds seems to have a really sensitive digestive tract as well. We just became juice-pushers, give probiotics to aid with digestion and in a real pinch - refried beans. Some things we try to keep WAY OUT of the diet: bananas, cheese, applesauce. For example, Ds has maybe 4 slices of banana and a tiny bit of swiss cheese 3 days ago and has not gone since. We try to regularly include in his diet: apple/orange/pear juice, black beans, oatmeal and lots of fresh fruit. I don't like to use suppositories b/c I don't want his body to become dependent on them.

Figures, we're going away tomorrow, too. I hope he can go in the AM before we leave. He only poops on the potty (this also extremely helped him with going b/c now it has somewhere to go) but he's not keen on big toilets.