PDA

View Full Version : how do you deal with biting?

spu
06-01-2004, 04:37 PM
ugh! I'm getting so frustrated with all the biting! Charlotte + Else are biting eachother all the time now! (and pinching, pushing, taking toys from the other...etc....) Sometimes they bite just to show who's boss! I usually take the biter firmly into another area of the house, and repeat very firmly "no biting. we do not bite"... etc, and leave her there while I console the one who got bit and once she's settled, I go back and get the offender...

But it's not working! They're still biting! I'll be mortified if they ever bite a playmate! Help!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

trumansmom
06-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Bumping this up! Truman has started biting me and DH (and the sofa and his blanket and our clothing, etc.), and nothing seems to be able to stop it.

Any suggestions?
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

Kimberly H
06-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Cruel as it sounds, Bryce stopped biting after I shut his mouth on his tongue a few times as he was preparing to bite. He was between 18 mos and 2 at the time, non-verbal, the youngest in his group of "friends" who got to do much more than he did, and hating life in general.

YMMV :)

Melanie
06-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Ds hasn't been much of a biter in a long time, but with hiting I say things like, "OUCH! That hurt Mommy (or playmate). Please don't do that. I get (or Playmate gets) very sad when you do that...look, they are sad." Then I turn it positive with something like, "Let's use gentle hands (and either I touch him gently or take his hand, if he's willing - it's not a power struggle, and show him how to touch gentle) so they know we like them." With biting, maybe you could show them how kissing is a nice way to put their mouths on eachother. OR another tactic I sometimes use if I think it's out of frustration is "Please don't hit people...that really hurts a lot. If you feel like you need to hit, how about this pillow or this couch." And sometimes he will. Maybe you could give them a pillow or washcloth or something and say, "if you need to bite, you can bit this."

Good Luck. It takes lots and lots and lots and lots and lots...of repetition!