PDA

View Full Version : toddler portaits - ack!

LucyG
06-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Are all toddlers hard to photograph, or is it just mine? Here's my story . . . DD is 15 months old, and we wanted to get her picture made again. We've used Olan Mills, and have been pleased with all previous pictures. I should preface this by saying that DD is kind of reserved around strangers. She's never been one of those "smile at anyone on the street" kinds of babies. It's just her personality, as she's a ham when she's around familiar people. Anyway, we've tried twice in the past week to get pictures made at Olan Mills again, and she just is NOT into it at all. The first time, she cried pitifully, so we rescheduled. The second time, she did OK, but even with DH and I there trying to help the very nice (and very patient, I might add!) photographer, DD really never warmed up and smiled like she does when she's happy. She was healthy, well-rested, and well-fed, so I know it wasn't any of those things.

So, is this just how toddlers are at this age? Are they notoriously difficult to photograph? We have tons of great pictures I've taken of her at home with the digital and film cameras, so I'm tempted to just get some of those blown up. Our dig. camera is 5 mp, so I think we can get good 5x7's and 8x10's. Has anyone else had to resort to this? I know that if we went to a professional photographer, we would probably end up with better photos. But, I'm not sure I want to spend as much as that would require, when I can use some photos we have from home.

So, any advice from you moms who have been there and done that with photo-shy toddlers? Thanks!

AngelaS
06-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Yep, sounds just like Gabrielle! I think every picture we took between 1 and 2 years she's got the remains of tears in the corners of her eyes! :D It does get better: at her two year photo shoot, she was a HAM! :D

Of course we're going to have professional pics done today (not Penneys) and it could be a whole 'nother story....

Thatchermom
06-04-2004, 07:00 PM
We use a photographer that comes to our home to do the shoot. DS has been relaxed, could run around while we made clothing changes and whatnot, had his own toys and things as props, and felt altogether more comfortable than when we tried to take him somewhere. We have had the same photographer each time, though the company has several in the area, and he has been great. Every picture has been a genuine smile from about 5 months on. The last time they were here they had switched to digital so we were able to get any picture we wanted color or b&w, edit things, etc. They have been great!

teddy
06-04-2004, 07:15 PM
We just had our 18 month old DD's portraits done at Sears yesterday and out of 11 shots, I chose 2. She was not happy at all during the shoot, despite being well fed and rested. She just stamped her feet and pouted and wouldn't stand on the X marks the spot. She kept clinging to me. I think she was just freaked out by the surroundings, the photographer, the tickly feather, etc... She was only smiling in one picture, when the photog finally brought out the toy car as the last resort and she sat in it. So of course we bought that picture in a bunch of sizes. I didn't even care that her hair was all messed up in that one.

FWIW, she was also reluctant at her 12 month pictures but she was more cooperative then than she was at 18 months.

I may have to try a photographer who comes to your home. That seems like that would work the best! I am not a good photographer so I'd like a pro to come do them.

Good luck to you! I think all toddlers go through this, it seems.

pamela mom of 3
06-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Certainly some are! Quite normal IMO....you know for two years in a row i had no 2nd child in my santa shots?! She WOULD NOT go! and to boot last year now she was 5 btw, she wouldn't co-operate with the sears group family xmas shot either nor her own single shot, not ONE smile x(

All you can do is try, and i came to the point a long while ago for the pictures as long as

A) they were not crying &

B) they were in a decent pose

I went for it, as i said my dd's single shot pic last year has no smile just a side turn to the camera..it's actually still not a bad shot ;)

-good luck!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

lukkykatt
06-07-2004, 12:49 AM
I have found that things are great until age 2 or so, then go downhill, then get better around 3+. We just got my younger son's pictures taken for his upcoming second birthday and it took FOREVER. He realized he was in the power position and would not cooperate at all. (We did end up getting a couple of really cute shots - the photograper was really patient).

One thing is that I now have lower expectations on pictures. The photographer was waiting to get that perfect shot, and after a while, I would just say "that's good enough - take it!" My older son (who used to be the WORST picture taker) was also a big help - he jumped in some of the early shots until DS warmed up enough to go solo.

As for what to do now - it is all up to how much you want a picture right now, and what you will do for it. We used to bring a clock with us (DS#1 is clock crazy) in the attempt to get him to smile. Yes, I am sure everyone thought we were crazy too! It didn't work, btw...but we did try everything. So maybe if there is something like that you could bring. Or I used to meet one of my GF's with her kids to liven things up behind the scenes - if you have someone like that in your life you can try that.

But things will get better with time. I'm waiting, too!