PDA

View Full Version : Climbing (the real stuff) lingo

raynjen
06-07-2004, 01:29 AM
For any of you who know climbing lingo - the real stuff, not what our toddlers do. I am putting together an ABC scrapbook for my husband for father's day (A is for Air Force, what my daddy does, C is for Coach, etc.) and I need a title for the photograph below....
I'm looking for a 'real' climbing term, I tried looking at climbing sites, but they don't help when you are doing a reverse look-up (know the definition but not the term).

Thanks for any help...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7334.jpg

Hallie_D
06-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Jen, the best I could come up with is "belayer," the person who protects the climber by holding the rope. I know there isn't a rope in the picture, but I couldn't come up with another term that was close. :-( sorry!

loewymartin
06-10-2004, 02:07 PM
I too was thinking "On Belay"...great pic!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

raynjen
06-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys! That was exactly what I was looking for!

I've been having fun 'sorting' through our digital pics and finding daddy/daughter ones (funny there are about 5 times as many daddy/daughter as mommy/daughter pics =) )

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

loewymartin
06-11-2004, 12:13 PM
I guess you now know who takes all those great pics! You have to remember to pass that camera to DH to grab some more of you and Noelle :-)

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

nohomama
06-11-2004, 06:04 PM
I like "b" is for "on belay" but i think a more apropriate caption for the photo is "b" is for "bouldering" (a.k.a. climbing "small" rocks without ropes or anchors).

raynjen
06-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Oh, I do, then we get one 'posed' shot of DD and I. Then he forgets that he has the camera or hands it back to me. We very very few real shots of the two of us. The best idea I ever had was to ask a friend to take pictures at Noelle's last birthday - there is finally a mom in Noelle's scrapbook album!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)