PDA

View Full Version : Consider me initiated...

Marisa6826
06-17-2004, 01:35 PM
This is an absolute toddler issue.

How do I get Sophie to stop throwing things? Books, toys, juice sippees, etc.

She's thrown stuff "accidently" in the past, but it's now very intentional. I'm worried that she's really going to hurt the pigdogs (she dropped a book on Willy once before and ulcerated his cornea).

I give her a very stern NO!, and then explain that we don't throw ________.

She cries really hard for a few seconds for being hollered at and then goes back and does it again.

Help!

-m

Hallie_D
06-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Oh, how I wish I had the answer to that question! We do the same thing you do. Eli doesn't cry, though, he laughs. He cries if we take it away (if the item is immediately thrown again). His favorite things to throw are forks and spoons at the dinner table, followed closely by books and toys. We always try to find an alternative--"We don't throw books, but we can throw balls. Would you like to play with a ball now?"--if we are not eating, but at the table he just loses the fork/spoon, and if he throws food, we take away his plate. That has helped cut down considerably on food throwing.

candybomiller
06-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Marisa,

I answered you on the baby board, but I'll post a short answer here.

Get 1-2-3 Magic. It will solve your problems! Love this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0963386190/qid=1087495841/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-5670678-2482217

Marisa6826
06-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Candy thanks! I'll pick it up this weekend.

-m

lisams
06-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Is she throwing because she is having fun doing it, or is she throwing out of frustration? The reason I ask is bcause these are 2 different behaviors, one is testing a new skill/limits and the other is basically a form of communication - she's frustrated with something and doesn't know how to say "I need help".

With the fun/testing throwing, I say something like this "Be nice to your toy. You may throw a ball. I give her a ball" If she does it again, I take the toy away, say "no throwing toys" and walk away giving her very little attention and purposely ignoring her mini tantrum.

WIth the frustrated throwing I've been saying "You are mad, you need help, say help." She can say help so once she says it I help her with whatever she is having trouble doing.

In general I try to not make a big deal about it, since she isn't doing it in a way that can hurt (at least yet - we shall see). I don't want her to think that throwing things will get attention, so I try to keep my voice calm but in control and very matter of fact.

We've just started going through this, and I can't wait for this stage to be over. It's frustrating because she will look right at me and throw something.

Welcome to toddlerhood, it is fun, just a little bumpy - think rollercoaster ;-)

Lisa

lukkykatt
06-17-2004, 07:17 PM
ITA. DS is going through this too right now, if it makes you feel better. Yesterday I got blasted in the head with a board book - youch.

I remind him not to throw and also encourage him to use words, and try to recap what is going on so he'll know what words to use. It can be a hard time, as abilities and communications skills aren't always evenly matched.

1-2-3 Magic is a great book. I would definitely pick it up, but I think that it might be a little too soon to start using alot of what is talked about.

Karenn
06-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Colin went through a throwing stage. (I hesitate to use past tense though!) What finally worked for him was taking away the object that he threw and setting it out of reach but still in view. I would also say something like "We don't throw toys at the kitties." (That was our biggest problem) and then follow it up with what he could do- "Can you pat the kitties gently please?" or "We throw balls."

I had to be insanely consistent and catch every little throw within an instant of it happening in order to finally get him to stop. It took a week or so. (Especially with the kitties since they reinforced him every single time with reactions that he found absolutely hilarious!)

For Colin, it really felt like an impulse control thing. It seemed like he really had to practice remembering not throwing things. He always KNEW he wasn't supposed to (he'd walk around saying "Kitty, no, no, no!" ), he just couldn't stop himself in the moment.

Marisa6826
06-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Those are a great questions. I think it's a combination of the two.

I have to keep an eye out and see which one it is most of the time. I suspect that it's more out of frustration or fatigue....

Thanks for the insight!

-m

Marisa6826
06-18-2004, 10:08 AM
I don't think that Sophie's *intentionally* aiming at the pigdogs, but she's definitely getting them. Especially poor Willy, who just doesn't move as fast as Tickie.

That's pretty funny about "Kitty, no, no, no!". Sometimes, I have such a hard time not laughing at some of the things Sophie does or comes out with ;) .

-m