PDA

View Full Version : Making herself sick?

raynjen
06-21-2004, 08:40 PM
*LONG* I haven't called our pediatric line over here because, technically, she has no symptoms, but what do you think of this...

Noelle kept begging me for water this morning. She drank 2 1/2 sippy cups (I'm guessing about 24 oz) in about 90 minutes. Right before the second cup she complained that there was something in her mouth (?) Right AFTER the second cup she complained of the same thing then vomited up the water (just water). She lay down for a few more minutes then got up like she was fine and asked for breakfast.

She felt 'hot' to me so I took her temp and it was 97.5 (she and I both run low). I figured she just drank too much and gave her some cereal. She barely touched it and complained of needing to spit - I finally figure that she is talking about vomiting so I take her to the bathroom - nothing. Then she asks TO GO LAY DOWN in her bed!? This is NOT something she ever does.

Right now (about an hour and a half later) she is laying on the couch listlessly watching Sesame Street.

What do you guys think? I dread calling the pediatrician. Over here if you don't have symptoms (and vomiting only one time wouldn't count) you don't get seen. So am I just overeacting or do I need to insist on an appointment or what...

Thanks

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)
Architect in a previous life!

atlbaby
06-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Jen, I'd give the ped a call. You know Noelle best, and if her behavior is quite atypical (I mean MY toddler doesn't ask to lie down in the morning!:) ) I'd see what the ped's office says. It seems counterintuitive that she would want to drink so much water but has no fever, so you might get somewhere by mentioning that to them. It could be just a virus that you can't do anything about, but if it were me I'd call to put my mind at ease (though DH, a dr, would be annoyed, to be sure!) Let us know how she is!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

candybomiller
06-21-2004, 11:10 PM
To me it sounds like something definitely isn't right, but I don't know if it's worth panicking about. It could possibly be a flu bug (?) or maybe even the stupid hand, foot and mouth that's going around.

Matt was sick this weekend too, but now he seems to be doing a little bit better. I'll tell you what the ped would tell you: lots of fluids, let her rest. Call me if you have any more questions. :)

Hope she feels better. Keep us posted.

raynjen
06-22-2004, 01:51 AM
She still isn't acting 'right', but still no symptoms. Okinawa has all kinds of weird bugs and plants that we don't have in the US so who knows what it is. I did call the base clinic and they basically said call back when she has symptoms (runny nose, cough, fever, spots, etc.)

The other thing that could be going on is that she has discovered that mommy treats her differently when she is 'sick' - more cuddle time, more TV time, and such. I'm going to keep an eye on here and see if anything develops...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)

Melanie
06-22-2004, 03:12 AM
I've heard of toddlers making themselves throw up, before, but it didn't sound so subtle. Maybe she's asking for water b/c of the sensation she's getting in her throat before she gets sick?

I don't know...I hope she feels better soon!

caleymama
06-23-2004, 11:08 AM
I hope Noelle is feeling better by now. I just wanted to mention that DD has gotten carsick a couple of times recently (but that's a whole 'nother thread!) and before it happened she started to cry and said her mouth or her teeth hurt. I don't know what to tell you and you've probably got it figured out by now anyway, but I wanted to be sure to tell you that your DD is not the only one who has had that complaint before getting sick.

sugarsnappea
06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Just wondering how Noelle is doing... Hope she is doing better. :)

mary b
06-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Jen, I was wondering too how Noelle is doing? From our Noelle to yours, hope she is doing better!!!

Mary
mom to Noelle and Lindsey

raynjen
06-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the well-wishes!

Noelle is doing great - just that one weird day...still not sure what that was all about. Since then I have started watching her intake/output just to make sure she wasn't drinking too much.

It really made me feel good when I 'checked in' today and saw all the good wishes, sending out a group hug!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)

Jeanne
06-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Jen,
Is she getting her two-year molars? My oldest is late with teeth and hers are starting to come in now. She was fine at preschool all day then she started to complain about something in her mouth. She kept calling it skin. About 30 minutes later, she threw up. She had no temperature and wasn't overheated.

Later than same night, she kept complaining about skin in her mouth and was gagging herself. I finally figured out that she was talking about her molars. They are almost fully through the gum but there is a lot of enlarged skin around them.

Maybe?

raynjen
06-26-2004, 09:29 AM
No such luck, her molars came in (with suprisingly little fuss) 4 months ago.

I really think that when she was begging me for more water she really just wanted the comfort of 'sucking' on her sippy cup - she still uses that as a comfort tool - and overdid it. I know sometimes if I've eaten too much at dinner that it will 'sit' high in my throat and I feel like the least provocation would make me throw up. I can tell you this though - I will never give her more than 1 sippy cup full per hour again (unless her Dr. tells me otherwise...)

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)