PDA

View Full Version : Pinatas really are not for children are they?

redhookmom
06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
I have watched a pack of 3, 4 and 5 year olds bash at about 40 pinatas so far. I can't imagine how many more times I will have to experience this. I am not really complaining it is very cute. BUT I have yet to see the children actually break one open. Either older brother Joe is called in with his wooden bat or Mom breaks the thing open.

Even the ones with the pull ribbons on the bottom have not been opened successfully by the kids.

Side note: pinatas filled with small animals is a fabulous idea as opposed to Skittles.

luvbeinmama
06-23-2004, 01:30 AM
AMEN!! Yep, that's how it is.

mom2kandj
06-23-2004, 03:23 AM
I've had to *tell* THREE moms of 3 year olds that the kids really don't need to be blindfolded because they can barely swing the bat let alone rip it open on the first swing. Yes, if one mom had blindfolded the kids we would have been there for about 45 minutes! As it was, it still took about half an hour because the munchkins were so little!

BTW, love the idea about the animals in the pinata. This is kinda crazy, but could you imagine stuffing in bouncy balls, too?!?!? Maybe we could start a craze...

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

loewymartin
06-23-2004, 12:57 PM
I went to a party where a 1 year old had a pinata (and her invitees where 2 and under!) Alia was the oldest one there and was scared. The babies were all crying since Daddy was hitting the dog (the pinata was a dog...) Inside it had animal crackers, Sesame sunglasses, bouncy balls, Sesame toys etc. So it was intended for small children, but still...they *cried*!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

MartiesMom2B
06-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Bouncy Balls! Goodness they'd be flying everywhere wouldn't they? This reminds me of my highschool graduation. 94 bouncy balls were thrown towards the stage at the Kennedy Center in DC. There were balls bouncy everywhere, and I swear I saw some go into the pipes of the pipe organ.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Jeanne
06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Not without some doctoring!
We did one for our DDs party but DH sliced wide lines every inch throughout the pinata from top to bottom so that after two hits, stuff began to fall out of it. The kids barely had to hit it as it would release stuff with the slightest tap. They also didn't loose interest. They all loved it because it didn't take forever. Try it if you're interested in getting a Pinata.

sugarsnappea
06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
YIKES! I just returned from Great PArty with a Butterfly Pinata. Unfortunately, there are no pull strings. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how the kids can open it. Maybe we can perform a cesearan on the butterfly, so the poor thing doesn't get bashed to pieces. :)

Funny stuffing ideas. Before reading this post, I bought mini horses, dinosaurs, bouncy balls, necklaces, and silly straws for stuffers.

redhookmom
06-23-2004, 04:28 PM
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/duh.gif

Jeanne
06-23-2004, 04:45 PM
LOL! My friends all have kids substantially older than mine so I've seen my share of unsuccessful pinata bashings!

raynjen
06-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Have you seen the pinatas shaped like Disney princesses? What kind of wild ideas are running through a 3 year old's mind when you hand them a stick and tell them to bash their idol?

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)
Architect in a previous life!

alkagift
06-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Dave Barry just did an article a month ago about going to his daughter's friend's party where they all beat up Cinderella! It is truly hilarious...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/8400714.htm?1c

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03