PDA

View Full Version : Help with Slow and Steady book activites

mary b
06-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi, I just got my Slow and Steady book in the mail yesterday based on Beth's rec and others and I have to say, I am SO excited to do some of the activities with both girls. I have looked at similar type books but they seemed too "crafty" (which I am NOT) or too much work!(LOL), but this one seems right up my alley..

Only question for Beth and anyone else is how to get started. Noelle will be 3 in September so I wanted to know some favorite activites to start with before I just do the age ones. Lindsey is 9 months old so if anyone started really early, I would love to know their take on the infant ones too.

THanks so much for your help!
Mary
mom to Noelle and Lindsey

atlbaby
06-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Mary, I just got mine in the mail last week, and I was going to post the exact same question! I'm very UNcrafty. :) I'm looking foward to hearing others' suggestions on favorite activites from earlier in the book for Arielle, and some infant ones for Daliya (soon to be 8 months) too.

Thanks!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

egoldber
06-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Well, I think most of the activities are pretty good. I just do them in order, so to speak, but we don't do them every week, so I often skip ones that don't sound interesting to me or that I don't happen to have the "ingredients" on hand, and just move on to the next one. I didn't do any infant ones, since I didn't get the book until she was already 18 months old.

Sarah always particularly enjoys the activities where we make something, like a hat or decorate a shoebox type thing.

HTH,

redhookmom
06-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Not only am I not that crafty I really like things in order. So, we work through the book in order. More times that not we are doing S&S at 11am.
I am now going through the book for the second time. It is interesting to see big brother enjoy the activities with his little sister. Sometimes he acts like the Mommy and I get to see his perception of how I interact with him.

August Mom
06-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Is this the book you are using?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/159160236X/qid=1088132288/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-3529647-9610330?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Is it a developmental + activity book or is there just an activity book?

sugarsnappea
06-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks Beth! I meant to post this earlier. This book was exactly what I was looking for. :)

JG really enjoys the tasting and smelling activities.

redhookmom
06-25-2004, 09:27 AM
That is the book. I am not sure if I can answer your question. For me it is not just another activity book. I say that b/c all of the "activity" book that I have collected sit undisturbed on the shelf.

The book was written by a Kgarten teacher and is very simple. I once read a review, I think here, that the ideas were to simple - "I could of thought of them myself." So maybe it is for the less creative Mom. I hate to say anything negative about the book b/c we use it lots.

It definitely is developmental. Sometimes though my DS was not ready for the activity of the week. We just went back to it later on.

egoldber
06-25-2004, 03:31 PM
It is definitely developmental. I put the book away for awhile since my DD was such a late walker. I was depressed by all the gross motor activities that she couldn't do, LOL. We went back and did those after she was walking. And I agree it isn't just an activity book. It is designed to grow with your child. I find it helpful and inspiring without being too gimicky, if you know what I mean.

HTH,