PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a portable DVD player?

Erika600
06-29-2004, 09:00 PM
The thread about activities that keep toddlers busy in the car made me think to ask...
Does anyone have a portable DVD player that they like? We're taking a 10 hour car trip with our 18 month old DS this Friday and I'm nervous...DH and I started thinking that maybe we should get one.
If you have one, any suggestions as to a particular kind/screen size, etc.
I appreciate any advice!!

mamahill
06-30-2004, 01:06 PM
We were looking into these, but ended up getting a laptop since we were selling a computer and wanted one that DH could take with him for work. Plus, we can bring Reader Rabbit on the laptop so Ainsleigh can play games or watch DVDs.

If we had gone with just a DVD player, though, I probably would have just gotten one that was 5-7". From what I read, all the sound was pretty crappy, but we were thinking we'd bring headphones since she likes to use them.

I'd just head to your local electronics store and talk to someone who looks like they know what they're talking about. Good luck!

jenmcadams
06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
We got one this spring and primarily use it on plane trips. The one we got from Costco (minitek) seemed to have the most bang for the buck, although I'm not sure the quality is amazing. It was reasonably prices, had a 7" screen and comes with lots of extras (car charger, remote, case that can hold the player for viewing in the car, two headphones, headphone splitter, etc.). We've used it a few times and have generally been happy with it. I did have to return the first one I got though b/c the battery wouldn't latch correctly. But, Costco is so good about returns that it was easy and we haven't had the same problem with this one.

Here's a link to the version they have now (which now has an 8" screen).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10047728&whse=&topnav=&cat=2471&hierPath=79*2471*

Good Luck!

Jen

Erika600
06-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks for your responses! We ended up going to Best Buy and got a Polaroid with a 7 inch screen on sale for 200 dollars. We'll really only use it for long car rides (which we don't take too many of), so this should *hopefully* do the trick!
Thanks again!

JElaineB
06-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm in the market for one too, and I haven't really found any great web sites on them. http://www.cnet.com had only a few reviews, though http://www.epinions.com had some helpful info on specific players. Things I'm looking for include long battery life and the ability to buy extra or extended batteries. I'm looking for a minimum of 5" screen but will probably get closer to a 7" screen. If you are driving in the car make sure you get one that has a car adapter so you can plug it in to your car cigarette lighter. Some for cars have the ability for the sound to be broadcast over your radio, though that probably costs extra. Do you know how much are you looking to spend (if you don't mind revealing)? I'm looking for a cheap one (around $200) just for plane trips (at this point), so if anyone else has any other advice or websites I would also be interested!

ETA: Just saw Erika's post that she bought one at Best Buy (I was typing this when she posted I think!) I've been eyeing the Polaroid one, I'll have to go to Best Buy and check it out!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ddloveschitty1
07-05-2004, 03:41 AM
We bought a portable vcr for the car at best buy for $100. It's a little boxy but it works great in the car. Haven't tried the headphone attachments yet since dd is only 20 months. We thought about the dvd player but dh pointed out that kids movies are so much cheaper on vhs and rentals are a ton cheaper too. Don't think it would work on a plane. It's pretty boxy. But I think i remember reading a squib about portable dvd players that you can rent at and airport and return at the next one when you land. The vhs is called video in a bag. they make a dvd also but it's more expensive.

Jen
Elaine 11/5/02

Erika600
07-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Okay, we're back from our trip and I wanted to let you all know how we liked our DVD player! As I mentioned, we got the Polaroid portable DVD player from Best Buy for 199.00. The screen is 7 inches and it has a very good picture quality. The battery is supposed to last about 2 1/2 hours. I can't comment on that because we only used it in the car so far, and we used the cigarette lighter adapter (which came with it). From what I'm told, the thing with portable DVD players is that they seem to be more sensitive to scratches and dirt on DVDs. Scratches on the DVD can cause scratches on the lens of the DVD player. For us, this wasn't good news because DS handles many of his DVDs and they are smudged, scratched, you name it! SO we bought a cleaner and it worked okay. We never had any problems with it skipping or anything. However, on our way home, I played a Wiggles DVD and it froze several times. It would just "pause", then resume playing. Not a huge deal, I guess. DS didn't mind. I looked at the DVD after we watched it and noticed that it was one of the more scratched ones, so maybe that had something to do with it!
Overall, I think this is a very good one for the price. We weren't looking for top of the line here, just something to play DS's movies in the car on long trips.
This was 200 dollars very well spent! :)

JElaineB
07-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the update Erika. I still haven't bought mine yet, so if anyone else has any input on what to look for I am still interested!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02