PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for fun activities for my 2 year old

momtoemma
07-08-2004, 10:17 AM
I need the advice of other toddler moms! My nearly 2 year-old DD loves to play, but I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for things we can do during the day. One of her current faves is to have puppet shows. She also loves to work puzzles and read books, but I'm looking for some new and different ideas. It's gotten really hot here and with a 3 month old at home as well, it's not very practical to go outside during the middle of the day. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Karenn
07-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Colin is really enjoying singing and finger plays these days. He loves to sing any song that has hand motions. We've picked up a bunch of them from various classes, but we also sing a lot of classics. If the songs don't have motions that I know about, I make them up. :)

Some of his current favorites:
Itsy Bitsy Spider
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
If You're Happy and You Know it
Head Shoulders Knees and Toes
The Wheels on the Bus

hjdong
07-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Jamie likes to run in circles - we just hold his hand and he runs around us. He also likes to play with playdough - he rolls it into a ball and then takes a hammer and smashes it. He has a ride on toy that he rides around the house (I'm beginning to notice an activity level pattern here!).

He also just got a sand and water table which he loves. It is outside, but it's great for the end of the day when I'm worn, he's not, and it has started to cool down. It is the one toy he can literally play with for an hour, an hour and a half and still be happy.

That sai, and I'm sure this is not easy with a 3 month old as well, we spend a lot of time going places- library, museums, zoo - because I too go crazy by the end of a day figuring out what to do.

jadamom
07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Lately, DD likes art projects, such as drawing with markers or crayons, painting with Color Wonder fingerpaint or regular watercolor paints, stamping with giant foam shapes, playing with playdough, and glueing construction paper shapes on paper with a glue stick. She also loves Dora or Blue's Clues videos and toddler computer games, such as Reader Rabbit, Disney's Mickey or Pooh, and Mr. Potato Head. There are some free online games you can try on Fisher-price.com . She also likes her Miss Weather Colorforms, where you can dress up a girl in different outfits for different seasons, etc. Her favorite books are I Spy or Sticker Stories. Hope this helps!

redhookmom
07-08-2004, 07:01 PM
I often go to this site when we having a batty day: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~ajdrake/toddler/tres.htm

Melanie
07-09-2004, 01:21 PM
-Water play with cups/buckets/sifters (maybe you could do the sink or bathtub if you don't want to go outside).

-Felt Board (my fav. felts are storyteller felts, they aren't neon colors like one of the brands you see.

-Kids' mornings at local shopping centers (they often have puppets/musicians/etc. all geared towards young children...I think every mall around us has a day like this)

-Activity Songs (twinkle, twinkle; itsy bitsy spider; trot to boston; etc. etc.)

-Does she like to play with dolls? Change their clothes, push around house in doll buggy/stroller

-Play kitchen

I can't think of anymore now, my two year old needs to play! lol

-

Sarah1
07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
>-Water play with cups/buckets/sifters (maybe you could do the
>sink or bathtub if you don't want to go outside).
>
Audrey LOVES this too! I do this in the kitchen, and to minimize the mess factor, I undress her down to her diaper (and maybe a raggedy shirt) and put down a bunch of towels. THen I just let her go at it. It keeps her occupied for a half hour!

August Mom
07-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I agree. DS prefers to do this outside, but also will play in the sink or bathtub if I want to stay inside. I second the recommendation to do this activity unclothed (or in a swimsuit). Outside, I put some play cups, plates, silverware, etc. in a plastic tub and squirt a little dishwashing soap on top. Then, he holds the hose and makes the soap bubble. He "washes" the dishes. This will occupy him for a long time. In the house, I put the dishes in the sink with soap and turn on the faucet. However, I have to be careful that he doesn't keep turning on the water and flooding the kitchen. In the bathtub, I generally skip the dishwashing soap. In the shower, DS has fun painting with shaving gel on the wall. I have heard of doing this outside the shower as well.

Other thoughts are Play Doh, baking cookies (or whatever), sticker books, magnet books and a felt board.

Also, do you have a little pop-up tent? DS loves running in and out of his in the house. He also loves to throw balls and build with cardboard blocks (well, really he loves to knock them down LOL).

HTH

lisams
07-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Do you have Audrey do it on the floor, or on a stepping stool at the sink? I'm trying to figure out what would be best, because I bet DD would love this! She loves when I give her a cup of bubbles while I wash dishes, she puts her little people in the cup and gives them a bath!

DD also loves her little tent house! They are on clearence at Target(where the spring/garden stuff for children was) for like $13, it's one of those pop-up tents that is decorated like a little house.

Lisa

Sarah1
07-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Lisa--I just sit her on the floor and put a few towels underneath and around her.