PDA

View Full Version : Sleep question-am I doing this right?

luvmypeanut
07-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Nathalie finally started to sleep through the night at 13mos. Because we travel so much we coslept most of the time and she was also getting a bottle to put her to sleep since I stopped nursing at a year. When the bottle stopped working I thought perhaps she was ready to get to sleep on her own and in her crib. Well, the "gentle" methods were not working so we decided to let her cry a bit now that she's older. The first night lasted 20mins with me checking on her after the first 10 and then every 5mins after. The second night she cried for 5 mins only and ever since then it's been 5 mins or less. It has been two weeks and she is still crying when I put her in the crib. I thought they were supposed to stop crying at some point? Also, now when she sees the crib she starts to whimper. Is this normal? She's never been scared of the crib before and now I feel I've set up this negative association with sleep. I've rarely second guessed myself since becoming a parent but this sleep thing is tricky. Her behavior otherwise is normal and she's still our happy little girl. Do I just need to stick it out a bit more? I want to transition her into a regular bed but wanted to sort this out first.

Thanks for listening.

egoldber
07-14-2004, 09:05 PM
I think a LOT of kids protest bedtime at least a little bit, even so called "good sleepers". If she's going to sleep in 5 minutes and staying asleep, I truly would not worry about it.

HTH,