PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on prepping a toddler for moving?

em_jon98
07-16-2004, 12:53 AM
We found out tonight that the bid we put on a house was accepted. Woo-hoo!!!

We aren't moving far...just one suburb east. In fact we will be closer to her school and most of her friends. However, we are buying a older house, a tri-level, and the layout is quite different than our current house. I'm really worried about the transition for Lindsey. Her room will be very different in the new house. I will try to set her furniture up almost exactly like it is in her current room, but it won't be exactly possible.

Are there any books or videos out that might be helpful to prepare her for this major change in her surroundings? Or has anyone been through this with their toddlers and have some great tips and advice?

I just want to make this a very smooth and happy experience for her. I really want her to be excited to see her new room and be able to play in her own backyard (we are in a townhouse right now.) I also want to make it not traumatic for her to leave the only house she knows. I want her to be able to say goodbye peacefully and be as excited about the new house as we are.

TIA :)

sugarsnappea
07-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Congratulations!

We moved when JG was about 2 1/2, a bit older than Lindsey. I bought the Berenstein Bear's book and we talked a lot about the move. We were building, so we took her to visit the house a couple times each week. While preparing to move, I packed her room last. Basically I packed just a few item, here and there. I left up everything that was on her walls. I tried not to disrupt her space.

After we moved to the new house, I made an effort to get her room together first. I put everything back temporarily, so that it was familiar, and then painted the room. I think this helped the transition be smooth.

Good luck, I am sure Kayla will be excited about her new yard to play in! :)

Teasmom
07-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Congrats on your new house! We moved into a new house in February
and our DD was 2 1/2 at the time. One of the things that helped is
that I packed her room last and did most of the packing of the house
while she was asleep. Or I would hire a babysitter and have them come and play with her, while I packed.

Another thing we did was show her the new house and tell her
about it and show her where her room was going to be.

The other thing that I did was I kept everything else in her
life consistent. Since she was in school one day a week, I
kept her enrolled in the program, even though it was a 30
minute drive each way. I also kept up with her best friend
and we continue to get together once a week.

Good luck,

Ellen