PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a toddler book...from the following books...

StaceyKim
07-18-2004, 06:23 PM
My DS is just about 15 months and I need to start reading up on toddlers! Here are some of the books that I thought might be worth purchasing. If you own any of these let me know what you think of it.
TIA!

The Pocket Parent

What to Expect the Toddler Years
by Arlene Eisenberg, Heidi E. Murkoff, Sandee E. Hathaway

The Mother of All Toddler Books
by Ann Douglas

The Happiest Toddler on the Block : The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure andWell-Behaved One- to Four-Year-Old
by Harvey Karp (Author), Paula Spencer

emmiem
07-18-2004, 07:32 PM
I recommend this book over all the ones you mentioned- The Mighty Toddler, the Essential Guide to the Toddler Years by Robin Barket. It has helped both me and my DH get through the toughest situations and problems. We have a very dramatic active 3 1/2 year old!
Michele

Sarah1
07-18-2004, 07:32 PM
I have the book by Harvey Karp (Happiest Toddler). It's just OK--I don't love his approach to discipline--but he does do a pretty good job of explaining why toddlers act as they do. So, I'd say it's been useful.

christic
07-18-2004, 08:31 PM
I didn't find The Pocket Parent to be very useful--lots of quick tips on specific situations but it didn't give me any kind of overview on toddler development. I haven't opened it in months.

I have mixed feelings about Happiest Toddler. It's very gimmicky, and although he does offer useful insight into toddler behavior I was uncomfortable with some of his methods. They just didn't feel true to me somehow? can't quite express it but I remember discussing it here right after reading if you look in the archives. I like that he says we should acknowledge toddler feelings, but I didn't like the way he recommends going about it.

Don't have the other two...

Karenn
07-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I think Sarah and Christic described my feelings about Happiest Toddler. There is some good information and good ideas, but there are some gimmicky things in there too that you have to weed through.

I have What To Expect the Toddler Years and don't refer to it nearly as often as I referred to WTE the First Year. My First Year book was battered and dog-eared by the time that first year was over. I've had my Toddler Years book for a year now and it still looks brand new. I don't know if it's the organization of the book, or just the sheer volume of information, but I just don't use it very much.

lisams
07-19-2004, 01:22 AM
You know, I have yet to find a toddler book I really, really like. Maybe they think we're too busy chasing our little ones around to read so they don't even bother (and there is some truth to that!)?!!

I liked The Happiest Toddler - it did help and was a good eye opener to the toddler mind, the theme thoughout the book gets old fast though!

What to Expect was okay, nothing all that great though, mainly stuff I can get in my weekly BabyCenter email. I open this one maybe once a month to make sure DD is up to par according to the authors :)

I haven't read the other two books you mention, but I will say I get most of my ideas from reading the suggestions these wonderful moms post here in the toddler lounge! Seriously, this is a great group!

Sorry this didn't help much!
Lisa