PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a toddler leash? (UPDATE)

JElaineB
07-26-2004, 12:53 AM
I'm seriously considering getting one for use at the airports when I fly with DS alone in a few weeks. I'll have a 2 hour layover in Chicago both directions and I just know DS will not sit still the whole time (nor would I really expect him to). I will have a stroller, diaper bag, car seat and DS. I used to think the leashes were terrible (before I had a kid!) but now I'm thinking it might not be such a bad idea. Has anyone used one, successfully or unsuccessfully? If you think it will work for me do you know where I can buy one online? Thanks!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

UPDATE: We used the leash succesfully at the Chicago airport on both legs of the trip. DS was never thrilled with it practicing at home, but he loved the freedom it gave him at the airport. A couple times I had to let it go (cause he got it wound around something or around himself) and he took off like a rocket ship and I had to chase him down. With a 2 hour layover I would not have survived without the leash as he was "done" being in the stroller very quickly after arrival. On the first leg one dad with a 2 year old girl offered to buy it from me (I think he was only partly serious though!) and on the way home we ended up playing with a mom and younger toddler also on a harness. So all in all the leash was a great success and I will use it again as future circumstances dictate.

luvbeinmama
07-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Check out my replies & pictures in the following thread!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=85462&mesg_id=85462&listing_type=search

Since this thread we have used it a number of times. DD doesn't mind it and it is really helpful. We are flying in August and I will DEFINITELY be bringing it along.

Here is the one by OSA:

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27180/333/117.html

BRU & TRU sell the one we have in store, but unfortunately I can't find it on their online store.

Mommie2MadLyn
07-26-2004, 01:07 AM
I used the Safety First Harness in Disneyworld last year. My DD wasn't all that thrilled with it, but we did use it for some of the time and I thought it was great. It gives them a "little" freedom, but not too much! I used to think they were terrible too before I had DD, but I'd rather keep her safe than worry about what anybody else is thinking. I'd say you should give it a try. I think I ordered mine from Babycenter.com

brubeck
07-26-2004, 11:29 AM
I used one with DD a couple of times (most noteably at a Star Trek convention). She wasn't too thrilled with it but the alternative of sitting in the stroller was less appealing to her. They are good for occasional use in areas with crowds.

You should try and get your child used to it though. Have him wear the harness part for awhile just around the house, then later try taking a walk to the park where you don't let him tug on the leash (ie: have it stay slack). Then on the way home try letting the slack run out a bit just so he gets used to the feeling. You don't want a temper tantrum in the airport because its the first time your son has worn it and he hates it. In fact, put the harness on as part of his outfit the day you fly. This is one less thing to worry about when you are sitting in the airport.

JElaineB
07-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and the links to the other thread. I knew I had seen this topic before, I just couldn't remember exactly where. I did end up buying an "Elmo" harness at Walmart today (didnt' really know they had them until now). Unfortunately the inital try-on tonight was NOT a success! I will try again tomorrow though, and DEFINITELY practice with it before we leave on our trip.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

tconder
07-27-2004, 06:58 PM
I use leashes with my 23-month-old twins, and they generally like it. It's much easier than having to walk long distances with their hands above their heads (think how much taller you are than the child), and gives them a little more freedom, as they can go farther from you. Not to mention, it's much easier than having each twin tear off running in a different direction! As a bonus, we took the twins hiking last fall and they loved jumping off stones and swinging like spider-man from their harnesses.

I use the By My Side leashes; they have a simple, fleece cover and are good and strong. http://www.tommiguard.com/

Sarah1
07-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Jennifer, I'll be really interested to hear how things go with the harness. Audrey is really independent and will just run off to explore anything--I don't even need to be in her sight--so she is really a perfect candidate for such a leash. She and Jacob are so close in age, so I feel like I can really relate to your concerns!

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to parenting, but I still have a hard time letting go of the thoughts I used to have when I saw people with kids on leashes. I remember thinking they were just AWFUL and so incredibly inhumane. Of course, like you said, now that I have a kid myself and realize how easily Audrey will just run off, I understand why these leashes exist! I wonder how many evil stares I would get if I used one....I think Audrey would prefer being on a leash than sitting in her stroller, but who knows, the leash could also drive her insane.

JElaineB
07-30-2004, 12:59 AM
I'll let you know how it goes! I did get the harness on him for 15 minutes today just at home. He didn't like it but forgot about it for a while in the middle of the 15 minutes. I have a couple of weeks to practice, then we'll see how it works at the airport!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JElaineB
07-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Do you ever use the "hands-free" mode or just the leash style? It looks interesting.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

missym
08-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Ok, so how bad would it be to hook one of those zip-out dog leashes to the harness? I've ordered a harness but don't think the leash will be long enough. We'll be using it outside, so I don't mind her roaming a bit afield, I just want to keep her from running off. Opinions?

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

egoldber
08-02-2004, 02:15 PM
I would NOT use one of the flexi leashes! They are tricky to use even with dogs! The flexi part is very thin and can give you awful "rope" burn if you have to grab it (ask me how I know....). I think it would be super easy for a toddler to get wound up in it.

Momof3Labs
08-02-2004, 11:13 PM
We've only used one a couple of times, but really liked it when we did. Colin did just fine with it, too, and seemed to appreciate the freedom that the leash gave him over the stroller. We got some interesting stares, but that only made me laugh.

houseof3boys
08-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Awesome update. I always wonder about those gadgets. I too was appalled at the sight of them pre-Ryan and now that he is a running maniac, I can only imagine how much worse it gets as they get older.

Thanks for posting the update Jennifer.

Sarah1
08-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Great update Jennifer! I would definitely buy one if we ever had a layover. Thanks! :) Oh, and how did the power ports work on the plane????

JElaineB
08-27-2004, 09:08 PM
The power port worked fine too! I bought one of the adapters from the DVD website just in case but it turns out on American all that I needed was to plug in the cigarette lighter adapter that came with my DVD player. My cord was a little short so I accidently pulled it out a couple of times but overall it worked great.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02