PDA

View Full Version : Hair cuts

Thatchermom
09-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Help! We just went to have DS's hair cut for his first day of preschool tomorrow and the place we have always taken him has closed! It was the only kid-haircut place that I can find around here. The one time we took him to an adult place the cut was awful and he hated the experience. Do you all take your kids to adult salons or kid places? Anybody from the Seattle area have any ideas? We are actually south of Seattle...and getting shaggier by the day.

lizanov15
09-08-2004, 09:31 PM
DD (22mo) didn't do well at the kids haircut places. She always got too distracted by the other kids and toys that it was hard to cut her hair. Then one day DH was going to Supercuts to get his haircut. DD and I came along hoping to get her hair cut too. DD saw DH get his haircut. When it was her turn, the lady there gave her a balloon and was really nice to her. DD sat on DH's lap the whole time, and he held her head a few times to get the straight cuts.

The experience was great. DD didn't cry at all and got a better looking haircut than at the kids haircut place. We've only done this once, so hopefully we have another good experience next time.

- Liza

Karenn
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Susan,
I don't know how far south (or desperate :) )you are, but there are a couple of kids haircut places in Tacoma. We've been to Fun Kuts (near Tacoma mall) and they were great with DS both times. We're also thinking of trying Wild Child.

Thatchermom
09-09-2004, 07:12 PM
That is further south than where we are, but closer than the ones north of Seattle that I was finding. Thank you!

Edited to add: Couldn't find Wild Child online, can you tell me more about it?

Karenn
09-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Susan,
Wild Child is new, and supposed to be a couple of dollars cheaper than FunKuts. They bill themselves as "A Salon and Spa for Kids." I haven't been, but my friends tell me it's got the same "fun" chairs and a climbing toy in the waiting area. It's in a sort of strip mall called Narrows Plaza. It'd probably be a 5-10 minute longer drive for you coming from Seattle than FunKuts. 253-564-0709.

Kimberly H
09-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Mia has the same stylist I do. Tami was almost as excited about the adoption as we were and I couldn't take Mia somewhere else, even if there was a kid's place around. It helps that Tami only charges me $5 for wash, cut and blowdry, including blowdrying Mia's feet (through her shoes) because we blowdry her feet at home after her bath and she expects it there too! ;)

Mia sits on the little bench thing that goes across the seat and does really well.

She had her hair cut on Tuesday and that's her 4th in 7 months!!

bjiang
09-10-2004, 01:25 PM
DD also uses the same stylist as I do. She is great with kids. We've been taking her there since she is 17 month old. She cried the first time but started to enjoy the experience afterwards and loves to get her haircut. A lot of stylists (especially those who are also Moms) work very well with kids and you don't have to go to a "kid" haircut place.

Thatchermom
09-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Just thought I'd report - we tried out Wild Child on Saturday. Fun Cuts is $22, Wild Child $19. We got a same-day appointment and made the trek, about 35 minutes on a Saturday for us. Wild Child is owned and run by two gals, Crystal and Christine. Took them a while to answer the phone, but it really is jus the two of them there so I guess that makes sense - I wouldn't want them stopping my kid's haircut to answer the phone. They do have two "fun" chairs, and several regular ones. Videos in front of every chair, which DS loved. He got to watch a Wiggles video he'd never seen before. His haircut was great, best we've had outside of the spendy place in my parents fancy town in SoCal. She wasn't super fast like some kid cut places are, but the cut is really, really nice and she listened closely to what we wanted. There were two little girls leaving when we got there, and their haircuts were beautiful bobs, so I think they do well with both boys and girls. More expensive than where we were going, but we'll be back.

They were amazed at how we found them! Thanks!

Karenn
09-21-2004, 12:01 AM
Susan,
Thanks for the review! We'll have to try them out next time! The videos would be a huge selling point for us! I'm glad it worked out for you.

new_mommy25
09-24-2004, 09:32 PM
There's a haircutting placce in the UVillage.