PDA

View Full Version : Trick or treating for the 1st time- what to expect?

cdlamis
10-09-2004, 05:52 PM
We are taking Julia Trick or Treating for the first time this year (she is just over 2 years old). What should we expect? Is she too young? Any advice?

TIA~
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!

brubeck
10-09-2004, 10:38 PM
I actually took DD when she wasn't quite 1 yet and then the following year as well. That year when she was almost 2 her favourite thing was being able to carry the big plastic pumpkin basket that I got for her. The second most exciting thing was going to waslk around the neighborhood at night. Candy was a distant third, although she did appreciate the treats she ate when she got home. She did enjoy it, but she didn't really LOVE it until last year when she was almost 3. Of course last year the number one thrill was still not the candy, it was the flashlight we gave her to carry.

Like with anything else new you just want to have a VERY loose schedule and just go with the flow (whatever she seems to like/dislike). Good luck!

raynjen
10-10-2004, 01:01 AM
My advice is to have a tiny bag for her to carry (the smaller the better) and you carry a larger bag that you empty hers into periodically. This way she doesn't get frustrated hauling around something too heavy for her.

We also started early, before it got dark, so that she would have a chance to see that everything was 'normal' - before it got a little abnormal later on!

Finally we took breaks where we would sit and watch other kids go by for awhile and when she started asking to be carried we went home.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!

lisams
10-10-2004, 02:37 AM
I have no advice since this will be DD's official first time trick or treating, but I do remember last year having a few toddlers who tried coming into our house. I guess it's kind of confusing to them going up and ringing the bell and then leaving :-)

Anyways, have fun!!!
Lisa

loewymartin
10-13-2004, 04:26 PM
We went to the 3 closest houses last year just to show them Alia's outfit. This year she's already talking about it (except it's "Santa will give me candy" - apparently she's a bit confused!)

She gave candy to the kids who came to our house last year, so she kind of understands the drill there. And this year it will completely frustrate the trick or treaters since I'm sure she will count out 2-3 pieces for each person!

I'm kind of worried when it will start/end in my neighborhood this year since Halloween is on a Sunday. But we'll start around 3/4 since DST ends that day. It should be close enough to dark without being too cold!

Enjoy!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

cdlamis
10-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone! It's nice that it falls on Sunday this year- we can get started earlier when its light out and still be home the rest of the night to hand out candy.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!