PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbooking: Can we talk embellishments?

nitaghei
10-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Okay, I'm really getting into this whole scrapbooking thing. My original plan was keeping it simple. But now I want to try something more challenging and creative than stickers and cardstock. Maybe fibers and ribbons? I'm still intimidated by the metal type things - eyelets, brads, whatever they're called.

So is it okay to use regular satin ribbon, or is there something that's specific to scrapbooking? And how do you attach it? I so need to take a class or buy a book. Actually, a book recommendation on techniques would be appreciated!! The Amazon list is so long, it's hard to tell what's actually good.

(Yes, Jen, this is one more attempt to free ride off your generosity and knowledge! :) )

TIA

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

raynjen
10-23-2004, 11:58 AM
There are a ton of good books out there - I own none of them =)! Generally I find I get as many good ideas from magazines at a fraction of the cost. If you have one I would go to your local Barnes & Noble or other book warehouse (that sells coffee) and check out their scrapbooking session. Allow yourself at least an hour and a latte so you can sit and peruse a stack of books. I think this is the only way to find one that is in tune with your style.

You could order a great book online that has all the information you need, but if the style they use is different from your own you might never pick it up again.

I have a confession - I use everything and anything in my scrapbooks. I am a pack rat in a lot of ways so I use leftover bits of embroidery floss, ribbons from projects long forgotten, bits of lace from who knows where. So I am probably committing a bunch of scrapbook no-no's in terms of PH and lignen and all that other stuff. I DO use a PH balancing spray (very expensive, but IMO well worth the cost) on my tickets stubs, programs, pamphlets, and newspaper clippings so that their acid won't migrate to the photos. However, I never really considered all the embellishments I use.

Having said that and good SCRAPBOOKING store can help you with what is appropriate and what isn't. DON'T go asking at Michael's or Hobby Lobby - they are stockers not scrappers. Also, if you are really concerned about it, you can buy from a scrapbooking website or catalog (check magazine ads for numbers). But, like I said, I use regular old ribbon.

Now, for the easy part, attaching ribbon. I usually use glue dots for this - they are basically like the glue they use to stick perfume samples in magazines. Think of a little glob of rubber cement. You can also use double stick tape. You can also wrap the ribbon to the backside of your page and tie it or tape it down.

Even if you aren't ready for eyelets you can use hole punches to create a border (like a row of holes along the edge of a page with a contrasting color behind). If you sew at all you can sew paper on a sewing machine. Depending on colors and patterns this can become really elaborate. You can get a sewn look by doing paper-piercing, this is just taking a needle a piercing a row of holes along the edge of a paper (use a larger, sharp needle for this, not a dull one like they sell for plastic canvas).

Have I lost you yet? Remember some embellishments you might already have - a lock of hair (they sell small clear envelopes that stick to your page for something like this), ID tag from the hospital, sand from the beach, a button off his first sweater, a piece of his favorite blanky, etc. If you have a scanner you've mutiplied what you already have (and when you print on acid-free paper you don't have to worry about your photos). Scan in the texture of his corderoy pants to use as a background. Scan a zoo pamphlet to make your title.

Dive in and enjoy!

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
who is almost three, Noelle!