PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Bad Breath

MartiesMom2B
06-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Martie has horrible bad breath. I think it's from her soymilk or something. Her fruity Oral-B Little Bear toothpaste is doing nothing for it. Are we alone in this? Is there a solution?

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

new_mommy25
06-06-2005, 03:30 PM
When you brush teeth maybe start brushing her tongue?

jbowman
06-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Sonia,

When did you notice this? Has it been going on for awhile? The reason I ask is b/c Ellie had stomatitis, an immune system infection that manifests itself in the mouth, about 6 weeks ago. It gave her terrible (I mean horrid halitosis, LOL) breath. The other symptom was badly swollen, red gums. I don't mean to alarm you--my bets are against it, but I wanted to let you know about our experience.

missym
06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Gwen consistently has sour breath, I think from all the milk she drinks. I don't think it's a health issue in our case, although it is worse when she's congested. You're right, the toddler toothpaste doesn't touch it. :( If anyone has a remedy, I'd love to hear it!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!

MartiesMom2B
06-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Martie's gums are fine. But her breath is sour, just like Gwen's. I'll keep a look out for her gums though.

-Sonia

barbarhow
06-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Jack"s, too. I think it might be the soy milk.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

LucyG
06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Same here. Funny you posted this today, as DH just tonight said, "Have you noticed that she has bad breath?" We also use the Oral B bear toothpaste, and she is not a very willing brusher. Argh.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

SeekerMage
06-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Lil'bit had this for a short while too...was driving me crazy especially trying to nurse her sheesh that breath was sickenly sweet! I simple brushed her teeth with a tiny bit of regular toothpaste mixed in with her oral b (I think thats the kind we use). It did the trick with just one brushing. I know you can use a tiny bit at a time, especially if you have well water they suggest it so they get the flouride. HTHs

Melanie
06-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Have you tried flossing yet? I notice that Ds does have some morning breath sometimes...but we brush with regular toothpaste now and I don't notice it other times.

new_mommy25
06-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Sorry to hijack,

Melanie, when/how did you teach your DS to rinse? I don't trust my DS to spit out the water but then again, I haven't tried.

MartiesMom2B
06-07-2005, 06:31 AM
I have tried flossing with those sticks that have the floss on. It's hard to floss an unwilling wiggly girl. I think I might try a tiny bit of the regular stuff.

-Sonia

alkagift
06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Have you tried a different toothpaste? Maybe Tom's kid's orange might be a bit stronger flavored?

Matthew's is worse when he's got a cold and breathing through his mouth a lot. During those times we use his toothbrush to brush his tongue (with or without toothpaste) with lots of water--dip the toothbrush in a cup of water, brush the tongue, dip it back in, etc. Brushing his tongue does help.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

barbarhow
06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Not Melanie but my DH taught Jack to rinse just by having him copy what he was doing. They make a big show of spitting it out and say "Puuuuhhhhh" a they do it. Now Jack just does it. HTH
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

wendmatt
06-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Is she teething? I always notice DDs breath is worse when she is teething. We use the oral B stages toothpaste which does have some flouride and only use a tiny bit and it helps, but she does still get morning breath a bit!

MartiesMom2B
06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
She is teething too. She hid her toothbrush somewhere too. Aarrgh!

-Sonia

new_mommy25
06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
LOL, we are missing a toothbrush here as of yesterday. DS looves to brush his teeth so much he just walks around his room with it. Luckily we have an electricone as back up but he doesn't like it as much.

wilelm
06-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Miriam has bad breath--a tendency I think she gets from her dad! Make sure you brush the roof of her mouth and her tongue. I hear you on the gross fruit smell mixed with bad breath smell--I found a great fluoride-free mint toothpaste at a health food store that Miriam loves, and that helps with her breath. (As my 7-year-old nephew who won't use mint toothpast would say, "It's not spicy!")It's Weleda Children's Tooth Gel. It's distributed in the US by Weleda, Inc., Congers, NY 10920. Maybe you can contact them to find out where you can buy it in your area if you have trouble finding it.

HTH,

Sheila
Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
Gabriel, 12/30/04