PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I should just move the couch to his room?

crl
06-26-2005, 05:57 AM
Sigh. DS is not a great sleeper. Lately we've had lots of night wakings. And he keeps trying to get up at 4am.

So, now he's started going back to sleep on the couch in our living room--this is after being awake crying in his bed for an hour or more because I'm trying to convince him that 4am is still night. I go to him in his room and stay so it's not like he's going back to sleep on the couch because I'm there.

So, it must be the couch, right?

Mikesa3
06-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Have you tried one of those sound machines or radio in his room? Does he have a nightlight? Depending on the age,I'd tell him he can stay awake but has to stay in bed till Mr. Sun comes up.That he can have books or quiet toys in his bed to look at. Does he tell you what's wrong? I'm guessing you don't want to start the habit of letting him come in your bed but it's another thought.I understand if you don't.I don't really like mine to come in since I don't sleep well with them but we have done it to get more sleep. Or how about putting a sleeping bag on the floor of your room temporarily till he outgrows the early habit? What time does he go to bed? Just throwing ideas out there...
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

crl
06-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the ideas! He's got a "waves" cd that's on repeat in his room--I think that's helping some. I actually think there's too much light in his room from street lights so I'm working on light blocking curtains.

He's just turned 2 and is totally unconvinced that he needs to stay in his room without us once he's awake. He actually doesn't come to get us even though he's in a toddler bed--he just wails until one of us goes in.

We actually tried co-sleeping a few months ago and he didn't sleep any better and I slept a lot worse so we gave up on that. When I've let him sleep with me in the morning to try to eke out a little more sleep, he just wakes up earlier and earlier to get to sleep with me. (Even though he doesn't sleep any better, he still prefers sleeping with me.)

We have moved his bedtime ealier and I think it is helping, but now he's getting his last two molars, so who could tell? Isn't this sleep thing a puzzle?

I'm hoping that the molars will hurry up and come all the way in, and we'll keep implementing our "sleep plan" from the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers, and maybe this will all improve. At some point, it has to, right?

Thanks for the thoughts!