PDA

View Full Version : I wish someone made....

Hallie_D
06-29-2005, 12:59 PM
ETA: Please let me know if you think this is a good idea. I was describing it to some coworkers (none parents of young children) and they all encouraged me to pursue it. I even found a company that helps develop and market Mom inventions, but I won't pursue it if no MOMS think it is a good idea!

I know this has been done before on the baby bargains board-and possibly here, too--but I thought it would be fun to post our wishes for toddler miracle products.

I wish someone made a clock-like device for children too young to tell time that would let them know when it was too early to get out of bed and wake up their parents. I imagine it working like this: the parent sets the time, say 7:00 am. Anytime before 7:00 am it would show a picture of a person in bed, sleeping. When 7:00 am comes, it would switch to a picture of a smiling face. It could also show the time, to help young children learn how to read a clock.

It would be almost the opposite of an alarm clock--rather than waking the child up, it would encourage them to sleep longer if it was still very early.

Would you be surprised to learn that my older DS has been waking up at 5:30 am and thinking it is a fine time to start the day? We can usually get him back to sleep, but when your own alarm goes off at 6:15, 5:30 is a horrible time to have to go put your child back in his own bed! I just want him to have a signal that says, "Nope, not time to get up yet!" without having to ask me! :-)

californiagirl
06-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I don't know about here, but rabbit clocks are common in the UK. The rabbit is sleeping until the time you set, and then it wakes up. Here's a link that has them: http://www.babysleepshop.com/

mudder17
06-29-2005, 10:08 PM
That's a really cute device! Right now, we're using a clock radio and it goes off at 6 a.m. and for the most part, she seems to know not to complain until after it goes off. Or at least she knows that when it goes off, DH will come and get her. But I've been wanting to get her a conventional clock so that eventually she'll learn to tell time. I'll have to look around and see if I can find these rabbit clocks anywhere else.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

22tango
06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
We taught DD last year not to wake us (ie. call out) if the clock didn't say 7 (she looks at the first number on her digital clock). If she called out too early -- even if the clock said 6:55am -- I'd go in to her and point to the clock and tell her it was too early and she should go back to sleep or play quietly in her crib until then. Now she just knows not to call before then and sometimes she'll yell out "It's SEVEN!!" LOL! :D

drsweetie
06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
I think this is a cute idea!

Ellen

Hallie_D
06-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Ah! That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for but I've never seen it before, despite many searches on Google. Thank you!!!!!

muskiesusan
06-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I think that sounds like a great idea!

Now for my wish...a page button on the tv for the remote. The phone has one, why doesn't the tv??

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Hallie_D
06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Now THAT is a great idea!!!!

JulieL
06-30-2005, 03:42 PM
I LOVE IT!!! What a great concept. Children are so visual that I could imagine that working for some kids. I say go for it, oh and can I buy one ;) !

Mikesa3
06-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Oh I love the page for the remote idea. Ours have been misplaced soo many times.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

tina-t
07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Cute! It seems popular too, as they are sold out until the 13th of this month.

Mommy_Again
07-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Hallie, I have a mom invention running around in my brain, too - would you mind sharing the company you found?