PDA

View Full Version : Froogle.com

mharling
10-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Wanted to let you know about this website that dh told me about. It's froogle.com. It's from Google and is currently in beta. You can search for a specific item and it will return online merchants that carry the item, a price and usually a picture. You can sort by best match or price. Cool stuff!! And it certainly beats doing a Google search on the item and wading through the results.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

calebsmama03
10-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Awesome! i just checked it out and it works very well! Kudos to DH!!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

houseof3boys
10-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Yeah, it's a great site. I've been using it for about 5 months now (it must be a very long beta!). Sometimes it gets a little funky when you try to sort by high to low price and all of the sites disappear. :P

amp
10-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Cool - Thanks! I get so tired of wading through Google results that may not take me to the actual product. Could have used this a *LOT* lately!

kozachka
10-28-2003, 03:48 AM
It's a great idea but unfortunately it does not work. Just 'froogled' 4 different strollers that I researched to death over the last few days and only one of them returned the best available price outside of eBay ($215 for Zippy). IMHO 25% success ratio is not good enough.

Sorry to disappoint you all but it works no better than other comparison shopping guides such as dealtime, nexttag, eopinions etc. That's probably why it's still in beta:)

Kozachka

teddy
10-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting this site. I was able to find a camera for $30 cheaper than the sites I found through Google. The site I bought from wasn't even listed on Google or any of the other shopping websites. The sort by price function worked fine for me.

mharling
10-29-2003, 01:18 AM
It doesn't claim to find the lowest price for you. I think it all depends on the merchants that are included in their search capability.

This is from their site:

"Froogle is a new service from Google that makes it easy to find information about products for sale online. By focusing entirely on product search, Froogle applies the power of Google's search technology to a very specific task: locating stores that sell the item you want to find and pointing you directly to the place where you can make a purchase."

"Our goal is to make Froogle the most comprehensive source of information about products online. Your suggestions for stores to add will help us achieve that. Please send your suggestions to [email protected]. Be sure to include the name and URL (web address) for each store and a brief description of what they sell. Please note that for a variety of reasons, we are unable to crawl some stores' websites, so it may not always be possible to honor your request."

I get the impression that Froogle's goals are different from a traditional comparison shopping site. I wonder if you were finding the Zippy on sites that Froogle is 'unable to crawl'.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3