PDA

View Full Version : Day after Thankgiving sales....... Give me the scoop!

brubeck
11-10-2003, 10:47 AM
It's been a long time since I did the day-after-Thanksgiving-sale thing. Amy was born on Thanksgiving Day in 2000 so obviously I missed it that year (although I was up at the crack of dawn nursing, LOL) and the next year I was still kind of tired running around after my 1 year old. Last year I was mucho pregnant but this year I want to get back into it. I don't know why, but the bargain-loving side of me really enjoys getting up early with all the other devoted shoppers and getting a really great deal!

That being said, I want to hit the children's clothing stores this year! Does anyone know where the good sales are at these places? Does Gymboree do a big discount? Will the Land's End stuff at Sears be on sale? Should I try looking at Macy's because they might have good prices on all those expensive brands?

Give me the scoop!

Momof3Labs
11-10-2003, 11:33 AM
I've been disappointed in the day after T'giving sales for the past couple of years. The major dept stores (Carson's, Fields) usually put out coupons for early birds, and so does Michael's (crafts), and Target might do some good deals, but it's hardly been worth it to drag my butt out of bed the last couple of years.

If you have a Lands' End outlet (or inlet) nearby, they used to do 30% off of your entire purchase on the weekend after T'giving - that's a good deal. I don't think that Sears does the same thing.

Now, the day after Christmas is another story - I always get GREAT bargains that day!!

brubeck
11-10-2003, 12:19 PM
That's interesting. I come from Canada, where the big sale day is the day after Christmas (or actually the 27th since Boxing Day is officially a holiday). I was surprised to find out that in the US often people don't shop that day, but the day after Thanksgiving is the big one instead. In my mind it makes more sense to have the bargains AFTER Christmas, but that has't been my experience here in California.

When I went (before kids) I would go to Mervyn's where they would always give you a (nice) free gift and a 10% off coupon, plus have pretty good sales on everything, then I would head to the other stores in the mall and then back home before the Young and the Restless started at 11 am. :)

I do remember KB Toys always having huge lines outside, but then they usually have a few unbelieveable doorbuster deals, right? And I recall that in the past few years they have had $5 Easy Bake Ovens and such at KMart.

I'm nowhere near a Lands End outlet (don't I WISH) but if they do 30% off they may allow Sears to do the same thing. I have a bunch of stuff I've been looking at in their Fall/Winter collection and I'm just waiting for it to go on sale!

khakismom
11-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Check your local paper. Thanksgiving week, there should be a ton of inserts and ads listing all the deals. Once you know all the deals and where you want to go, then you can map out your plan of attack. Last year my SIL waited in line at 6 AM with everyone else to get a $49 DVD player at Walmart, but still made it to TRU at 7 to hit their sales. Good luck!! And, of course, let us know about any deals you find! :)

emmiem
11-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I would not bother with clothing stores. The markdowns come in thru the register in the morning and they do them all day so they are not ready first thing. Also, it is not a major markdown day for clothing. That's the day after christmas. Hit Target, Walmart, and stores like that. But know what you want. It will be a zoo.
Emmie

billysmommy
11-10-2003, 02:57 PM
Gap outlets have a 30% off your order sale the day after Thansgiving on top of the sales they already are having :) I can't wait

em_jon98
11-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Some of the stores have the same deals online as they do in the stores on that day. TRU on Amazon being one store, in particular, that does this. I would much rather get up and be on my computer at 7 AM the day after T-day rather than going to TRU and standing in a line that wraps all the way around the store back to the front door.

With all of the free/discounted shipping online these days, it may well be more worth it to you to stay home and click.

Momof3Labs
11-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I forgot about the sale ads. I think that they show up in our paper on Wednesday, so we have all day Thursday to plan our attack.

heidi_timms
11-25-2003, 01:29 AM
Does anyone know if the regular Gap stores are having additional sales on black friday?

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03