PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Source for Similac RTF Coupons

momtob2003
11-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know how to get Similac coupons? My baby is due next week and I signed up at Welcomeaddition, etc. ages ago and recently received the powdered samples from both Similac and enfamil...but, no coupon:-(

How does one go about getting those? I am hoping to be able to BF and only want to supplement w/ the RTF 2 oz bottles.

Thanks for any help!

Momtob2003
Austin edd 11/25/03

Momof3Labs
11-23-2003, 08:41 PM
They send coupons after baby is born - they keep on coming for a while, and then eventually stop. The coupons are usually good for any kind of Similac, not just powder.

BTW - if you want to BF, why are you already planning to supplement? It is your decision, but if you want to BF, you might want to decide that for sure now and enlist the help of a LLL leader or a lactation consultant. Supplementing has some huge downsides in the early weeks of the nursing relationship, and you might want to know about them before making your decision. It is still your decision (and either way is fine), but just make sure that it is an educated one!

There is a ton of good information on bf'ing at the www.kellymom.com site - if you haven't checked it out, you might want to!

momtob2003
11-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks so much for letting me know about kellymom.com. I'll check it out.

The reason I was considering supplementing is because I am at very high-risk of postpartum depression and may need to go on medication. So far I'd been given the choice of NOT bf'ing at all or bfing while being monitored (if I should need to go on meds on short notice).

How does one go about finding a LLL leader?

Kashfi.

PS. I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks and have enjoyed your posts.

calebsmama03
11-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Visit this website and look for a local group
http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html
Call the number for a local group leader or - if you can't find one - call your state chapter. They will put you in touch with someone who can help. There may also be some meds that you could talk with your doc about that would be safer for you to use and continue to BF. Congratulations on your little boy and on your decision to BF. It can be tough but is SO worth it! There are tons of moms here who are great help, but try the LLL too. I attend a local group and it is great!
Good luck and we'll all be hoping you have an easy time BFing and no concerns with PPD!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

Momof3Labs
11-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Kashfi,

Thank you. *blush* And thank you for not taking my post the wrong way.

There are medications that you can safely take while nursing. Any good lactation consultant will have a copy of Tom Hale's Medications & Mothers Milk handy. In that book, I'm told, he lists Zoloft as safe for a nursing mom, and Prozac as the next best. If you can partner up with a lactation consultant (or LLL leader) now, they can work with you if you need to go on medication (to help find one that is good for you and good for your nursing baby), and work you through weaning if you end up with PPD that can't be controlled by nursing-friendly medication.

I'm not sure who told you to skip nursing for this reason (your OB, perhaps?) but many, if not most, doctors are very uneducated about bf'ing. They find it easier to tell you to quit (or not start at all) than to do their homework and help you achieve all of your goals. Most do not have a copy of Tom Hale's book handy, either.

I saw that Lynne gave you the link for LLL - definitely give them a call soon, since I see that you are due soon - Tuesday!

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!!

Rachels
11-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Lori is right! There are many meds that are safe while nursing. It's worth tracking down a copy of Hale's in case your prescriber needs to be educated about that. You can also find info here:

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T029100.asp

http://www.drjaygordon.com/bf/index.htm

Wishing you a wonderful birth!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momtob2003
11-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi there!

Thank you guys for all the great suggestions and links. Austin was born Mon. eve. 11/24, by c-section (I was hoping I wouldn't need one, but all is well that ends well) and last night was our first back home.

Most importantly, I HAVE been bf'ing although I am not yet engorged AND just a little while ago with a big noisy explosion (not to be too graphic;-)) Austin had a seedy mustard BM! YEAAAAH!

Kashfi.
Mom to Austin 11/24/03

PS. It was actually a psychiatrist who recommended I NOT bf. I'm pleased to report that my mood seems to be holding up well.

Momof3Labs
11-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Congratulations - on your new little boy, and on bf'ing success!! Hang in there, and let us know if you need any support!

houseof3boys
11-30-2003, 01:10 PM
I am so glad that you are breastfeeding successfully. In the early weeks of major sleep deprivation everyone's mood gets cranky and fluctuates at times so be prepared! Lack of sleep is par for the course and happens to all of us.

Keep up the great work breastfeeding Austin and just ask if you have any questions. These boards are a fantastic support at 2 am if you get frustrated!!!

You may want to contact the LL leader in your area just so you can introduce yourself over the phone in case you have questions in the future or want to go to a meeting with Austin.

Good luck Kashfi!!! :)

hez
12-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Just saw this today... Congratulations on Austin's birth!

Just wanted to add encouragement-- I too was also worried about PPD having a family history of all kinds of crazies, and my own episode a few years ago. Never considered it being affected by BF'ing, but BF'ing in itself can be stressful the first couple weeks 'til you get it down.

While I did have a bad day here and there while I've been learning to be a good mom, it's been nothing I couldn't handle with my normal coping mechanisms. I don't think there's a very good way to predict how your body/mind will react post-baby, as I have a girl friend with NO history, who had a pretty bad bout of PPD. While I'm glad all my worrying about it was for nothing so far, I wish I hadn't worried at all. No need for that negative stuff!

I hope things keep going well for you!!! Good luck with the BF'ing!

momtob2003
12-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks for your kind words, Heather! I spoke to my local LLL Leader last evening who thinks my milk prod'n is behind schedule, so I have been trying to pump as often as I can and also been taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle starting today.

I love these Boards!

Kashfi.
Mommy to Austin 11/24/03

chlobo
12-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi,

How do you take your fenugeek? I've heard it helps babies with gas and I went and bought some greens but I'm not sure what to do with it.

LOL

Carren
Mom to Isabella 11/7/03

momtob2003
12-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi there!

My local LLL Leader said I need to take the Fenugreek in capsule form, 2 at least three times a day - a little more if you can get to it. So I went to Vitamin Shoppe and got the Vitamin Shoppe brand which says each capsule has 610 (or 630) mgs. For milk prod'n she also recommended Blessed Thistle which I also take 2, 3 times a day.

HTH.

Kashfi
Ecstatic Mommy to Quiet Austin 11/24/03