PDA

View Full Version : BARGAIN ALERT: Zany Brainy toy stores to close; Right Start on chopping bl...

alandenisefields
12-03-2003, 01:07 PM
FAO Inc., the parent of FAO Schwarz toy stores, Right Start chain and Zany Brainy toy stores declared bankruptcy---again. It said it would close ALL 96 Zany Brainy toy stores and would liquidate the Right Start chain (36 locations) if it couldn't find a buyer for the chain by Dec 15. Also: all 15 remaining FAO Schwarz toy stores would close as wel.

So, what does that mean? SALES! Of course. Right Start carries such premium brands as Britax car seats and European brand strollers. So, be on the look out for some great deals on brands that are normally hard to find on sale.

FAO was a victim of its own stupidity---by buying Zany Brainy. it formed a chain of three money-losing companies. Meanwhile, Wal-Mart and Target's increasing dominance of the toy market spelled doom for FAO, as Babies R Us generally out-marketed Right Start when it came to baby products.

FAO's fate was sealed by a weak Black Friday sales picture last week.

Be sure to post what deals you find here! As with any liquidation, deals/stock will come and go rapidly!

That's the news!
--
Alan & Denise Fields, authors
BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411 * TODDLER BARGAINS * BRIDAL BARGAINS * CYBERBRIDE * YOUR NEW HOUSE

kalebsmama
12-03-2003, 02:17 PM
I was in Zany Brainy today, and nothing is marked down yet. They said in the next 1-3 days it will start. They were not sure about the Right Start stuff since it depends on if they find a buyer. I guess our Right Start will close since it is in the ZB store. I was told that the sales on RS merchandise would depend on if they decide to spend the money to ship everything to other stores or not. (assuming they can find a buyer so quickly)
They have already posted signs that all sales are final.
I will miss the store since it is only 2 miles away, and DS loves to go in and play with the trains! Good activity for cold/rainy days!

suribear
12-03-2003, 02:29 PM
This is depressing. That's my favorite toy store :( Don't tell me it's just toys r us. ugh.
Kris

brittone2
12-04-2003, 11:32 AM
I called my store last night (12/3/03) and they said they don't have a date set yet for when the sale will begin. Ours is a zany brainy w/ a right start inside of it.

You'd think by now they'd know when the merchandise will start being marked down though, wouldn't you? I guess I'll pop in over the weekend and see if anything is discounted yet.

Beth

mharling
12-04-2003, 12:46 PM
I wonder if there will be online sales too????

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

Momof3Labs
12-04-2003, 05:08 PM
The Zany Brainy site is closed now (www.zanybrainy.com) so I'm starting to doubt big online sales. Who knows - maybe they'll open up again with sale prices, but I'm kinda doubting it now.

alandenisefields
12-04-2003, 06:10 PM
I would guess NO online sales; just clearances/liquidation sales in the stores.

That doesn't mean you won't see some Zany Brainy toys showing up next year on Overstock.com or other liquidation sites. But that's a coin toss!

Alan & Denise

cchavez
12-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Wow! I just checked out the site yesterday afternoon and it was still up. Going to call my store today and try to find out more info.

teddy
12-05-2003, 11:32 AM
The Zany Briany and Right Start on Clybourne in Chicago are having 10% off all items right now, except books and puzzles, which are 20% off. I went yesterday to check things out after reading the tip here. The Right Start does _not_ have the Bugaboo anymore - sold out.

kalebsmama
12-05-2003, 01:08 PM
I was in our Zany Brainy today and everything is at least 10% off. The books, puzzles and art supplies were 20% off. I think the interlocking floor mat pieces were also 20% off. There may have been a few other things at 20% but DS was screaming since I wouldn't let him down to play with the trains so I didn't stay long! The rest is 10%. This includes all the Right Start gear, strollers, car seats etc.
They couldn't tell me if things would be marked down more eventually.
The signs they had posted stated no checks. Cash or credit card only. All sales final.
The store was pretty crowded. Things will probably go fast!

cchavez
12-05-2003, 03:39 PM
I called our RS and the lady said everything was 10% off and she said they they did not have a buyer by the 15th she (assumed) that they would have a big sale in January.

Sarah1
12-05-2003, 03:49 PM
I was just in ZB today (Fri, 12/5)...as those of you in the lounge know...

ALL their puzzles were 20% off. I got an awesome Melissa & Doug puzzle w/the hinges and magnetic things behind the little doors. Also got a wooden block set, colored, in a shallow box w/wheels, also by Melissa & Doug, also 20% off.

For 10% off I got a Lego dump truck w/big legos, a Tolo set of nesting cups, and this AWESOME toy that DD is already nuts over, by Tolo, called a rollling ball run, or something like that.

My total cost for everything was $66, incl. tax.

The clerk said they will continue to mark things down until everything's gone.

Wah! It's really a sad story. That was a neat store.

khakismom
12-05-2003, 05:25 PM
I was at ZB at lunchtime today and they already have the guy on the corner holding up a 10% sign in the cold. As everyone said, most everything is 10% off--I had to restrain myself from getting another Fleurville Mothership bag at 10%! But I got a Corolle baby doll for $21 and a Chou Chou baby dipe bag for $8. Most of their prices are way over TRU and Target to begin with so I tried to really only look at the cool stuff that you couldn't get elsewhere.

Now I think I will have to hit FAO this weekend... :)

C99
12-07-2003, 01:58 AM
Tolo sells neat stuff. Our stacking cups are by them. I will have to check this out tomorrow.

crl
12-07-2003, 10:10 AM
We went to the Reston, VA store yesterday and bought a Britax Marathon in Artic cat (they had at least one more of these in the box and the floor models in a mauve color and Artic cat) and a Baby Sherpa diaper bag at 10 percent off. Everything in the store was 10 to 30 percent off. Thanks for the tip!

cvharris
12-09-2003, 11:23 AM
A friend in the know told me that the baby gear and infant toys that were 10% off are going to 20% tomorrow!

That includes the car seats and strollers!

Also, the Right Start store near me has the discounts, too, even though it's not in a Zany Brainy.

kalebsmama
12-09-2003, 10:57 PM
I just saw the Bugaboo at our store tonight. I hear that tomorrow all Right Start things will be 20% off.

mominjune
12-10-2003, 11:46 PM
I was in the Right Start store today in Bellevue WA and everything is marked down 20-25% off. 20% for strollers, car seats, baby bjorns, and other big things, 25% for toys and smaller items. I think things will go pretty quick, especially the big items. Always fun to shop sales, but kinda sad the store is closing.

brittone2
12-11-2003, 04:10 PM
I stopped by my local ZB/RS today and everything was 20% off as well (didn't see anything marked down more than that though). There was still a lot of merchandise left.

I'm due in February...I got a My Breast Friend Pillow (I'm registered at BRU and they don't carry them, I already have a boppy that I'll use for other things than BFing), some Medela sterilizing bags, and a Stroll'r Hold'r II to use w/ my Inglesina Zippy hopefully (cupholder). All were 20% off.

THey had the Fleurville diaper bags (and some Kenneth Cole and others) there and they were also 20% of course, which is a great deal (not sure I love the Fleurvilles...can't get past the plastic outside of them...). The strollers seemed to be pretty picked through but there were still lots of toys and many other baby items left.

I'm debating going back (who am I kidding? I KNOW I'll be back, LOL) and buying lots more. 20% of the brio/thomas the train sets seems like a good deal. Are there other places online that sell them cheaply or is 20% off ZB's prices pretty good (I know they are pricier than a lot of online retailers, so I'm curious if it is that good of a deal!). DH will probably kill me if I Christmas shop for the next 5 years for our litlte boy, buying Lincoln Log sets, Brio/Thomas trains, etc. ;)

Beth

kapow
12-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks so much for posting this! I went to the Right Start in downtown Chicago today and got a Britax Marathon car seat for $199 (Arctic Cat) and a few other goodies. One of the salespeople told me that their store would be a receiver store for merchandise from other stores. Still, I found that I had to hunt and peck, as some of their stuff is still priced higher than can be found elsewhere (e.g. a Baby Einstein DVD for $24.95 - hello!)

teddy
12-12-2003, 11:00 AM
What store is downtown? The only one I know of is in the State Street Carson's, and they said they were not part of the liquidation because they are owned by Sak's (yes, I called! I am a freak for sales). The other store is on Clybourne, but that's not downtown. Am I missing something?!?

Jen in Chicago
12-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Ok I am work bound this week and have not gotten to the stores on Clyborn. Anything worth a trip this weekend?

brittone2
12-15-2003, 04:21 PM
anyone w/ the "inside scoop" know if prices will go lower yet? I bought a few things for our first baby due in February when I was there last week (20% off). There are some other things I'd purchase if they decide to lower down to 30 or more % off....

I told DH we should stock up on brio/thomas train set items now at those prices and we could have birthday and christmas items for our little boy for the next 5-7 years. He looked at me like I was nuts;)

beth

Momof3Labs
12-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Last time Zany Brainy stores went out of business, they went up to 70 or 80% off, although there wasn't much left by then. They will probably keep on reducing stuff until almost everything is gone or the leases run out...

brittone2
12-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Good to know. I obviously don't NEED a lot of the stuff (I have my shower coming up in January) but as far as toys, etc. if I could get a good bargain on them I'd buy, kwim? I'd even buy things for down the road such as classic toys like Lincoln Logs, erector sets, and those brio/thomas trains. The challenge would be keeping them away until special occasions like Christmas and birthdays as the years rolled by....
I like a lot of the Lamaze/baby einstein/tiny love toys...wouldn't necessarily buy a bunch right now if they weren't on sale, but I could be enticed if prices drop some more:)

I guess I'll just keep checking back!

Beth

Jen in Chicago
12-16-2003, 04:12 PM
I just called and this is what I learned. They don't have any other convertible carseats in stock.

yhtking
12-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Does your friend know if the discounts going to be 30% tomorrow?

ginamlee
12-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Might like to check out some stuff at 30% off...

mattiew
12-19-2003, 12:13 PM
I was in Zany Brainy today and the merchandise is still 20-25% off. The employees said they were getting a new truckload in today; apparently 89 stores were getting shipments in. Trying to decide if I want to go back and check it out or not.....

HTH!
Carrie

Momof3Labs
12-22-2003, 04:08 PM
The discounts are up to 25-30%. Our store was pretty cleaned out of Thomas train stuff but still had a lot of Britax seats to pick from!

KUvsOU
12-26-2003, 03:00 PM
I just went the morning an bought a ZinderSeat for $119 and a Britax Marathon for $175.

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

heidi_timms
12-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Wow, our Right start store was sure cleared out when I went in there. They did have the sale signs down-does this mean that the deal went through?
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mominjune
12-28-2003, 03:27 AM
I went into the Right Start store at the mall today and the sale is definitely over. The employee said they were "not closing" and "have been bought". Well, it's nice to still have kids' stores around besides BRU and TRU. Too bad the sale's over though. Sounds like it's time to check out the Zany Brainy.

cvharris
12-29-2003, 03:38 PM
I've been told the discounts will go higher on New Year's Day. Any carseats and strollers that are left will be discounted 40% then. They are not expecting any more stock in carseats and strollers, though, and pickings are pretty slim!

As for the Right Start sale, the deal did go through for all stand alone stores (not the ones in the Zany Brainys). There are 4 Right Start stand alone stores in California that were not bought, though - I don't know which ones. There might be some sales at those, unless they move the merchandise to the other stores.

HTH!

wendygrace
12-30-2003, 12:38 AM
Went to the Zany Brainy store in Skokie and found the last of the Britax Wizards. One of the workers said that the Skokie store will be the last to close and the other stores will be sending all their extras out to that store in mid-January...if there is anything left. There wasn't much left at the Skokie store...some wooden puzzles for $6, some baby gates, and lots of Thomas the Train stuff and legos. Don't know how good the pickings are though as I wasn't looking for that stuff.

Will probably head out to the one at Fox Valley Mall tomorrow to see what's out there. When I stopped by on Sunday night after they had closed they looked like they still had a lot of stuff.

Bethann31
12-31-2003, 12:29 PM
I got a Teutonia Toni and the last Britax Wizard in a box last night at the Zany Brainy in Snellville, GA. They still have quite a few strollers, including a Frog, but I just couldn't justify that.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

mrs h
12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
just wondering what the sale is at now?

wendygrace
12-31-2003, 08:52 PM
At the Fox Valley store they still had a good amount of stuff. I picked up a EuroBath for $17 I believe, a baby food processor for $9 and a HaloSack for $9. All plush animals were 50% off, a few other items were 40% off but most things were 30%. All their big items (tables and chairs, toyboxes, etc) were only 30% and were still way over priced. For example, table and four chair set for $200. A toy bin shelf for $180 (similiar to the one you can get at Target for $50). They still seemed to have quite a few jogging strollers though but I just can't afford one so couldn't tell you the cost. They had several $100 diaper bags though. Not sure why they are $100. :) Oh, if you need a boppy pillow, they were 40%. The wooden puzzles at Fox Valley were not as good of a deal as the ones at Skokie. I'll probably go back and take a peak if the prices go any lower. Oh, and if anyone is looking for those two story wooden "treehouse" looking things, they had their floor sample on sale so it may be worth taking a look at.

mominjune
01-02-2004, 04:27 AM
I went to the Redmond,WA Zany Brainy yesterday (Jan.1st) and everything was marked 40-60% off. Most infant items were 40% including what they had left of strollers, high chairs, boppy pillows, hiking kid carriers, etc. I bought a bunch of Lamaze toys and a Kolcraft universal carrier for 40% off. The infant section is getting pretty picked over already. There were many toys at 60% off, but there were a ton left still, and I think that will get marked down even more.

I may go back and get the Ameda Purely Yours breast pump. I hadn't done any research on it and I didn't want to buy a $120 item(usually $199) on "impulse" that wasn't returnable. After reading the boards though, it does seem like a good pump at a good deal. They only had 2 left, so I hope they'll still have some tommorrow morning! (actually since it's 12:20am, it's really this morning)

Happy shopping!

Momof3Labs
01-02-2004, 04:22 PM
We went to both today. Skokie was pretty picked over - lots of stuff left, but nothing that we cared about. Northbrook had lots of really good stuff left (and my credit card bill shows it)! Not much Thomas the train (at either) except videos. Breastpumps and breastfeeding supplies were 50% off (Northbrook still had the Isis, Medela PIS and Ameda PY), which is a great deal. Northbrook had several strollers (mostly Combi, but also a Mac 3, the Right Start double, and some joggers) for 40% off, the PP high chair, and the Britax Husky car seat. Both stores had quite a few backpacks.

Note that if you have any Zany Brainy gift certificates or merchandise credits, they MUST be used by January 11!!

mominjune
01-02-2004, 08:13 PM
I went back to the store today and bought the last 2 breast pumps (Ameda PY) and was really happy it was 50% off- I was already excited thinking I'd get it for 40%. (i got one for a friend who was looking for one too) So much thanks for all the posts on this website about the Ameda PY pump vs. the Medela and about pumps in general. So helpful!!

The store is pretty picked over as well in the infant section- some PP high chairs, and some strollers - I saw a Toni, a few Pegs, Right Start joggers, and a bunch of Swan Snap and Gos. No Combis. Very few car seats left. And the number of backpacks diminished dramatically since yesterday, but still some left.

There is a whole lot of toys left- but I think the markdown will go down more - the saleswoman couldn't tell me when b/c they only find out the morning of, but she guessed next week. Anyone else able to find out more specifics?

wendygrace
01-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know they are down to 40-60% off.

cvharris
01-03-2004, 01:42 PM
I was in Oak Brook today and the store was pretty bare. They did have a bunch of joggers - 2 Mac 3s, a MBUS floor model, the Sprinter, Sprinter double and some Baby Trend double strollers. I was told they are closing in a little over a week - the store is more than half empty.

I was in Batavia on New Year's Day and they had a TON of stuff. Three MBUDs, a Volo, a Triumph, a Mac3, some Combis, some Arm Reach Mini CoSleepers, Peg highchairs, playards, TONS of infant stuff and toys, especially Tolo toys. They also had some booster seats but I don't remember which. I saw a bunch of blue medium Halo sleep sacks and some Fleurville Mothership diaper bags. Also an Ameda Purely Yours breast pump.

I was in Aurora yesterday and they also had a lot of stuff. Not as many toys but lots of strollers - MBUS, Kelty joggers, Inglesina Zippy floor model in a cute plaid print, Combis (including a Twin Savvy), Combi Tyro infant seats, Snap n Gos and Baby Trend doubles. Not as many toys or baby stuff as Batavia had, but a decent amount.

LD92599
01-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Just an FYI that the Paramus, NJ store still has a bunch of strollers. No Macs but I did see quite a few of the Right Start Doubles (front to back I'm pretty sure), Kelty Joggers and at least one Mountain Buggy...not sure if it was the Terrain or Urban.

Also, a bunch of Medela stuff left...a TON of baby proofing stuff...I just checked my receipt and everything came up 50% off even though the signs said 40% off.

Laura
mom to William

mattiew
01-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Went in Zany Brainy today, everythings is 50% off, plush toys are 60%.

Carrie

emined
01-08-2004, 09:11 PM
The FAO at The Grove (Los Angeles next to The Farmer's Mkt) is pretty much empty, same as it was when I went there 10 days ago. It's a store closing sale up to 50-60% off everything. No carseats or strollers left. I got the last Baby Bjorn -- open, destroyed box (so I asked for and got 75% off). Plenty of plushies and wooden blocks/games/puzzles, some Leap Frog stuff but going fast.

-Emily

Sarah1
01-08-2004, 11:54 PM
I stopped by there today (ZB on Clybourn) and it was SERIOUSLY picked over. Definitely not worth the time....mainly stuff for older kids (like 5 & up).

vikivoly
01-09-2004, 03:29 AM
I tried to put about 30 different things in my cart (all toys) and nothing was available. I even tried a $7000 rocking horse because I figured, "surely these can't be in high demand"!

chlobo
01-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Our Zainybrany closed last year.

I'm desperate for an Urban Buggy Terrain single or a frog. Does anyone know of a store that has either? Would anyone be willing to make an arrangement to pick one up for me?

Carren

Gweny
01-10-2004, 03:25 PM
I was out at the Marietta/Atlanta area Zany today and they still had some stuff left. I got a Peg Perego stroller, the Avent Express Bottle warmer, Lamaze toy, outlet covers and bibs all for $120 total. They still have some Baby Bjorn carriers, a few strollers, lots of lamaze/leapfrog toys, and quite a few toys for older children. I don't recall seeing any pumps though. HTH.

countrygrrl
01-11-2004, 06:21 PM
I called a Right Start store today to inquire on a Mountain Buggy Urban Single and they said that while they are out of stock now due to their liquidation sale, they would be getting more in stock. Lady sounded like that location wouldn't be going out of business. This is the Costa Mesa, California location.

Momof3Labs
01-11-2004, 06:44 PM
That is correct - the Right Start chain found a buyer so is not going out of business, but they also are no longer having a liquidation sale either.

mominjune
01-16-2004, 01:04 PM
At FAO Schwartz yesterday. I assume it's the same at all stores.

TaChapm2
01-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Just in Austin Zainy Brainy and they have 10 days till they close. Not much left. Everything 50-60% off.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

wendygrace
01-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Went to the Zany Brainy in Batavia yesterday. They are in their final days. Today and Tomorrow 60-70%, Monday 80% until it all goes. Supposedly next week is the last week and possibly Monday if they can get rid of it all. Didn't have much though. One floor model infant car seat. One floor model "Swan" infant car seat stroller base. One Primo floor model bathtub. Lots of Dr. Seus and Olivia stuff and everything else was just random stuff. Nothing large. The only thing that stuck out was window guards if anyone is looking for them (they had 3 or 4), and fireplace guards (1-2). No diaperbags, no strollers, no other carseats. Hope that helps someone.

Dcclerk
01-20-2004, 12:04 AM
That's interesting that they have different price points for different areas. I was just in the Zany Brainy in Torrance, California today, Monday Jan 19, and it was still 50-60% and very picked over. This one must be the place that they send the Fleurville pink and brown diaper bags because there were probably 50 there. No strollers, no carseats. But I did get a Buggy Board for $32 which I was pretty happy about. Plus, a MASSIVE role of their Christmas paper (pretty cute, and it doesn't say Zany Brainy on it) for $3. Oh, and those really cute little children's strollers (for dolls) for $6.75.

If any of you ever seen a Mountain Buggy double at one of these sales, I'll pay a commission.... ;)

intuitionmom
01-20-2004, 06:03 PM
I agree that different price points for different areas. I've been to a Zany Brainy in Rockville, MD which showed their last date as 1/25, but just got back from one in Houston, TX showed they have 6 days left. The selections are very few in all the places even though the discounts are still 50-60% off.

mattysmom
01-20-2004, 09:57 PM
has anyone been to the Framingham (MA) Zany Brainy recently? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trip! Thanks!!

urquie
01-22-2004, 01:51 AM
not much at my local store :(

teddy
01-22-2004, 11:49 AM
ISO... Boots stuffed animal (from Dora the Explorer)

In case anyone goes to a ZB, can you check the stuffed animal section to see if there is a Gund brand "Boots"? He's the monkey from Dora the Explorer. The Chicago area ZBs don't have any more. If you do find one, please let me know!!! You can email me at
teddy312chicago @ yahoo. com (no spaces). Thanks, everyone!!

mrs h
01-22-2004, 07:56 PM
nothing in framingham

mominma
01-23-2004, 06:34 PM
The Zany Brainy in Natick, MA closed last Monday.

FAO in Boston is closing this week-end, when I went there last week not much was left. No baby products at all. They had stuffed animals, FAO merchandise, doll accessories, and other odds and ends.

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03