PDA

View Full Version : Book Clubs -- a good deal?

californiamom
12-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you had experience joining any children's book clubs. Some of them have amazing deals -- like 5 books for $2 with an agreement to buy 2 more for $4.99 each. Anyway, I am a bit suspicious about this... What's the catch? Does any one of you have experience with that? What would be good places to buy discount/bargain children's books?

Momof3Labs
12-06-2003, 01:04 PM
How much is shipping on these books? That's where I usually find the catch.

Marshall's and TJ Maxx usually have a great selection of children's books for about 30% or so off. Colin has a huge library because of this!

Dcclerk
12-07-2003, 06:02 PM
I actually am just about to cancel my membership to one of those, but only because I finished my obligation and don't like to have to keep sending in the no-thanks cards for their monthly selection. I got an offer mailed to me that said that you could buy 6 books for $2 with FREE shipping and handling. Plus, if you bought 2 more at the same time for $4.99 each, they would also waive the shipping and handling. I ended up getting 8 books for about $12, shipped. Then, I still had an obligation to buy 2 more books at the regular price. I ended buying them both at the same time to take advantage of a free shipping and handling promo for any purchase over $30. When all is said and done, I got about 18 books for $40 (almost all of my orders were for a set of books). Considering I bought some of the more pricey ones (e.g the 20th Century Storybook collection, Eric Carle ones, etc.), I think I got a good deal.

The down side is that up until I received that offer, I have never seen others that included free shipping and handling. Also, some of the books are different shaped than usual Amazon/Barne & Noble bought books. Somehow, they seem just a little more discount quality. I have absolutely no complaints, but for whatever reason would not be as likely to buy one of these books for a gift. Plus, the full-price prices really are quite high. You can almost always find the book for cheaper on Amazon. (But, again, since I had got the other books for so cheap, I didn't mind paying the extra for the last 2 books.)

When all is said and done, I would do it again. But only if I got a deal with free shipping and handling again. Good luck with your decision!

jmofarrill
12-08-2003, 01:55 AM
I just joined Children's Book of the Month Club (CBOMC). After s&h, I ended up paying about $30 for more than 15 books worth over $150 retail. The books are in great condition - the same quality I can get at Borders or BN. When enrolling, I went on-line to see the selections (you are not limited to the selections listed on the mail-outs or fliers) and I made sure I only picked sets of books - 2 or more books counting as one selection - which gets you more value for your dollar. The club member prices are comparible to Amazon prices, and s&h fees are outrageous, but I only need to purchase 2 more books in the next 2 years to fulfill my obligations. Right now, CBOMC is offering free s&h, so I'm sure they offer it at other times during the year. Plus, I can opt out of the main selection on-line each month, so I don't need to remember to mail the card. I found this club to be worth it to me, and I'm happy with my decision to join.

sntm
12-08-2003, 11:33 AM
We like CBOMC too. One piece of advice -- when signing up, go online rather than picking from the limited selection they have on the advertisement. Several books that they had on the mailer listed individually, you could get as part of a set listed online. More selection that way too.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03